ARH install and questions?

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
Putting some ARH headers and off road mid pipe on my 14 gt500 over the next few days or so. Any tips on the install other than setting up an appointment to have it done at a shop... lol

I know the rear o2 senors get tunred off in the tune without cats. Can I just cap them off with a plug (couple laying around in the garage) and leave them unhooked, this is what I did in my s197 and later just installed a wide band in it.

Egr delete, hot topic both ways. Leave to save in the mpg department or delete to clean up the engine bay and keep from having to re-install it. I complete removed the egr and evap system and all other emissions junk from my previous car and never looked back. No emissions limitations here and this is not my dd, fun only vehicle. On the fence...

Thanks!

carguy19

Established Member
Putting some ARH headers and off road mid pipe on my 14 gt500 over the next few days or so. Any tips on the install other than setting up an appointment to have it done at a shop... lol

I know the rear o2 senors get tunred off in the tune without cats. Can I just cap them off with a plug (couple laying around in the garage) and leave them unhooked, this is what I did in my s197 and later just installed a wide band in it.

Egr delete, hot topic both ways. Leave to save in the mpg department or delete to clean up the engine bay and keep from having to re-install it. I complete removed the egr and evap system and all other emissions junk from my previous car and never looked back. No emissions limitations here and this is not my dd, fun only vehicle. On the fence...

Thanks!

According to lund, you cannot delete the EGR on the 13-14 because on the EGR valve on the bend on the SC, there is a manifold pressure sensor thats attached to the EGR valve. I dont know how acccurate that is but he seems to know his stuff.

As far as the headers, don't use the harness extensions, you can pull the 02 sensor harness from the car down and make it reach and reroute it. The harnesses are known to fail and can cause serious mechanical failure if the car leans out. Also, all of my 02 sensors are attached still, not blocked off. I dont think they turn them off in the tune usually.

I would not do the job myself. It took a very experienced shop about 5-6 hours to do mine and they have done 100s of LT installs. The whole K member and motor has to be removed from the car. Not a backyard mechanic's job. I would never try it myself even with a lift and owning 16 mustangs in my life.

Last edited:

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I believe the sensor is the SIP sensor and is left hooked up. But everything else can be deleted.

Gotcha, seen a few post saying thr same thing about the extensions for the 02 sensors. I really thought the rear/downstream 02 got turned off in the tune with no cats.

Now, I had no clue the k member had to be removed and motor . I have seen most remove motor mounts, steering shaft, starter.. etc.. but not the whole motor and k member.

carguy19

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I believe the sensor is the SIP sensor and is left hooked up. But everything else can be deleted.

Gotcha, seen a few post saying thr same thing about the extensions for the 02 sensors. I really thought the rear/downstream 02 got turned off in the tune with no cats.

Now, I had no clue the k member had to be removed and motor . I have seen most remove motor mounts, steering shaft, starter.. etc.. but not the whole motor and k member.

My car had the whole K member pulled down with the engine on it.

The sensor that we are speaking of is part of the EGR valve on the back of the SC. I dont think it can be attached without the EGR. Its part of the assembly. You could always leave the assembly there and get rid of the EGR pipe, but if it doesnt clean up under the hood by deleting it, whats the advantage?

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
You should get the arh headers jet coated to protect your investment, other than that its a pita to put on. I have arh longtube jet coated with matching jet coated x pipe, just wished it came with an extra bung for the wideband. eitherway think im going to chop it up to make way for some electric cutouts.

MattR

Established Member
Pull the starter, motor mounts, battery, CAI and dip stick tube. The manifolds come off pretty easy. Passenger header isn't bad, drivers header midale bolts really suck. Job would be easier without the K member. I did mine on Jack Stands in my garage.

bklynpanman

Established Member
Did mine on a 4 post lift. Pulled starter motor and steering shaft. That's it. Definitely a pain and you must have a lot of tools.

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
I dont think these are the right headers? Think I was sent the wrong one, they also have no port for the egr tube.

I believe they are 2011-14 GT headers.

20150504_175019_zps4dcvryqm.gif

20150504_175006_zpstpbfdqgg.gif

20150504_175953_zpspxmeyth9.gif

Last edited:

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
Most definitely, I purchased them from Shelby America and was really surprised when I open up the box. They are fixing it all today and will hopefully have the correct ones shipped out asap.

Bad Company

Established Member
TORQJNKY has a thread around here somewhere showing how to delete the EGR valve on a 13 GT500

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
TORQJNKY has a thread around here somewhere showing how to delete the EGR valve on a 13 GT500

I will have to wait and see if it the correct ones have a EGR port or not. I am on the fence about deleting it just yet... will see. If it doesnt have the provision I will guess I will be doing it... lol

I also thinking about going ahead and sending them off and having them coated by JetHot before putting them on. To protect my investment and cut down heat.

Would like the extreme 2500 in blue to match the valve covers would look great and hold up very well down the road.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

If you have any concern with respect to gas mileage deleting the EGR will result in reduced gas mileage even though the SIP sensor is left in place.

Don't use the gaskets provided in the kit. Get new OEM gaskets or re-use your existing OEM gaskets. I like to use the factory studs and nuts versus the stage 8 hardware. You just have to trim the lower studs on the first two down pipes on the driver and passenger side so you can get a ratcheting wrench on there and still be able to remove the tool without the stud bottoming out on the header.

Where the oil dip stick runs many guys notch the header flange to create a passage for the dip stick tube.

Good luck with your install.

Van

TVS VERT

Established Member
According to lund, you cannot delete the EGR on the 13-14 because on the EGR valve on the bend on the SC, there is a manifold pressure sensor thats attached to the EGR valve. I dont know how acccurate that is but he seems to know his stuff.

As far as the headers, don't use the harness extensions, you can pull the 02 sensor harness from the car down and make it reach and reroute it. The harnesses are known to fail and can cause serious mechanical failure if the car leans out. Also, all of my 02 sensors are attached still, not blocked off. I dont think they turn them off in the tune usually.

I would not do the job myself. It took a very experienced shop about 5-6 hours to do mine and they have done 100s of LT installs. The whole K member and motor has to be removed from the car. Not a backyard mechanic's job. I would never try it myself even with a lift and owning 16 mustangs in my life.

Cannot delete EGR???.... 100% False

The motor has to be removed for a header install???.... wow i wont even comment on that one.....if the "experienced" company removed your engine to install your headers they are donkeys

bklynpanman

Established Member
Second that on that shop removing the motor.. that's pretty funny.. i did mine on my 4 post lift in my garage.. only thing i pulled was the starter and steering shaft.. total of about 5 hours plus beers..

MattR

Established Member
Like I said above, did mine on the floor with Jack Stands. If you ever plan to install a Kenne Bell blower or lower your engine now is a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread