At a crossroad... Spend more or switch platform?

Maynor

Established Member
Here's my dilemma. I've been open tracking my car (non-competitive. HPDE's only) for the past 6 years. I'm at the point where unless I start dumping more $$$ into the suspension and safety gear, I'm not really going to be going much faster with the Cobra IRS platform.

My question: is it worth throwing more good money after bad to continue modifying the Cobra?

Or, am I better off selling it now while its sellable, taking the financial hit and start with a better platform? Once a roll bar goes in, the list of buyers for the cars dwindles.

I plan on doing this for the foreseeable future. However, I'm getting tired of fulfilling the Mustang stereotype every time I go to an event (hood up, car on jack stands, fixing something). I love the car but its getting harder and harder to "arrive and drive" with this platform.

Current setup is r-compounds, Brembo 4-pot calipers, TrueTrac, Camber/caster plates, shocks/springs, 275 front/315 rear tires, adjustable tie-rod ends and center mount alum steering rack bushings. Stock k-member. Stock bushings front and rear.

Car is a 99 Cobra with a Novi 2k, air-to-air intercooler, cams, return style fuel system.

I've avoided dumping lots and lots of $$$ into big suspension changes to keep costs down and keep the car streetable. I've been putting the dollars into the driver mostly, to improve on-track performance outside of maintenance items. The Novi came before I figured out how much I love open track. Too late to divert the funds at the time.

My goal is to be able walk away from the car should I ever wreck it at an event. Physically and financially. Its an expensive sport/hobby and I know I'll never get my $$$ back I don't ever want to have a track car I have to make payments on as a new one might require.

I've been driving more and more M3's, Porshce's and Z06's at events lately and I'm no fool, the Mustang will never be as capable as those cars but damn, they are so much funner to track than the Mustang. Turn in is just so much better and faster versus the Cobra.

I'll never replicate the other cars but I know I can improve the experience from where the car currently is. On the list of changes needed to improve the car are:

• a new front suspension (either MM or Agent 47)
  • roll bar
  • harness
  • HANs device
  • axle cooler
  • all new suspension bushings front and rear
  • lots of $$$/time to get it installed.

That's assuming the engine continues to hold up. Supercharged power on a road course is very high maintenance and cooling is a &$^ch but manageable if not expensive versus an N/A power plant like the Z06.

Anyone been down this road? What did you do? I know the answer will be different for everyone given personal situations but any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

John

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I feel your pain. I also realize that eventually this may happen to me as well. But I enjoy making changes to the car to see changes on track, and a Mustang is an easy car to do this with. There is also a ton of used parts out there that are in good enough condition to save some mod money, that is what I have done in a lot of cases. I also enjoy passing those high $ cars with the lowly mustang.

racebronco2

Established Member
I'm going thru this now. I really love my car and even though i have had friends telling me to get a vette.I cannot leave anything alone and would just put big money in a vette. I already bought some better seats for a 5 point harness and a hans device.

Is it worth it, yes. There is nothing like passing up cars that most people think a mustang would have no chance (z06's, c6z06's, vipers, m3's, ferrari's, lambo's etc). I don't know how people have told me that they heard me coming (blower whine) before they say me and knew they couldn't do anything about because the sound was getting closer and closer.

I have a 6 point in my car because i do take it on cruises and to vegas.

That was before i put the agent 47 suspension in my car. The car is so much predictable now. I can be almost anywhere on the track on-line/off-line and it just holds the track (within reason). The car is several seconds faster at most of the tracks i have been timed at. Street tire times with the agent 47 equal "r" tire times with the modded strut suspension. Turn in is sharper and quicker, before with the strut suspension the tires seem to skip over the rough sections and now the tires always seem in contact with the rough surfaces.

I've been open tracking my 04 cobra since i bought it almost 4 years ago. It has only been on jack stands two times in over 100 track days.

In my opionion the roots blower are much better for open tracking cause of the instant throttle response. The novi's have top end but the roots operating range will reduce times more then a novi's top end. Our car are operating alot more between 3000-5500rpms then it spends over 5500rpms. An extra tq and hp down low makes up for alot tarmac on the straights.

I don't know what you mean by saying that the supercherged cars are very high maintenance. My car has been very reliable except for when i ran the oil a little low. Cooling has been a problem but with a modded hood and running not smaller then a 2.93 has helped alot. My car now usually runs cooler then most of the modded vettes.

ot... is this the same maynor that has posted about the mark8 cooling fans a while back, if so thanks for the info.
carlos

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
If I was in the market for a new track car right now, I really like the S197 platform.
Ford got a lot of stuff right, and you can have fun as is, then mod to your hearts content (full Griggs :rolleyes: ). It wouldn't be as pull-the-trigger fast as your Cobra, but maybe more grins in the turns. There must be a bunch of used '05 GT's.

I also just tested a Lexus IS-F around a track. It's just no fair. That thing is faster, handles better, and is plusher than any Mustang I've been in. For $55 grand.

Then there's always Spec Miata (oops, MX5 Cup).

I don't know. I guess I'm glad I like my car as is. It would be hard to choose what direction to go.

Good luck.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
This is interesting because basically the SN95s are tech derived from the late 70s really. The new mustangs are really nice hopefully I will get behind the wheel soon so I can see if I like them better than my cobra. But all those cars you mention above have considerably higher maintenance and parts costs than the older mustangs do. Sure they aren’t as fast but for me at least I like the lack of technology which allows me to do some of the work myself. It all depends on what you want to do, sure the SN95 mustangs are old tech but they do just fine for what they are and are fun to drive.

Mazda MX-5s have some really excellent support structure with in the racing community as well maybe thats another option.

I have been in ZO6s, MB SLRs, and pretty much the entire AMG line from Mercedes. Sure they were faster and better in every way. But it’s a major shot to the wallet to run those cars especially if something goes wrong. It all depends on what you think is fun as a driver, I personal will probably save my money and pick up an AI mustang sometime in the future.

It’s all really related to how much money you are willing to drop; the faster you go the more it costs.

But if I was going to make a choice besides the mustangs I would say the C6ZO6, that thing is a track weapon.

Last edited:

racer

Established Member
It'a great question but most people will have different answers.
Personaly I would say keep the Cobra and toss an Agent 47 suspention on it, up grade the brakes etc.
I was running a Novi on mine a while back but dumped it for a turbo set-up, the Novi worked pretty decent tho.
You really can get these cars to handle very well by using companies like Agent 47 or Griggs.
In the end it's a decision you will have to make yourself, best of luck.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Most of us have "been there and done that". The good news is the fact that parts are relatively cheap compared to a Corvette or BMW.

Anytime you want to go fast, it's going to cost you a lot of bucks. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.

Are there better platforms? Perhaps?! But the beauty about a Mustang is the fact that many people are not expecting them to be as fast as they can be. (with some mods) The factory suspension pretty much needs to be ditched. Brakes need to be upgraded and some weight needs to come out of the car. Other than that, not much to it.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I've avoided dumping lots and lots of $$$ into big suspension changes to keep costs down and keep the car streetable. I've been putting the dollars into the driver mostly, to improve on-track performance outside of maintenance items. The Novi came before I figured out how much I love open track. Too late to divert the funds at the time.

As in it's your daily driver?

With cost/price of a newer car to track, it will be more expensive to restart with a better platform ie: Z06, M3. and even more to modify just to keep up with the previous regulars on the track.

If you love open track alot keep the cobra and work on the suspension. Griggs or 47 front then throw delrin in the back IRS. Besides the blower you have already it should be cheaper to add them to your setup than buying a better car to start over again and put money into it.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I am going through part of what you are considering right now. I decided to keep the 99 hardtop, sell the blower setup and rebuild it NA. Part of the reason is familiarity with the car. There isn't a single part of that car that I haven't removed or replaced or messed with at some point in time. If I buy a new car, I will have to learn a new platform all over again.

That and the fact that it is really satisfying to pass a Vette/Porsche/BMW/etc in a lowly Mustang.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Same story here.

For the TT class I would like to compete in, the two most competitive cars are the E30 M3, and the Honda S2k. They are head and shoulders above the sea of Miatas, including full spec versions, in the same class. It is surprising how close those two cars are in overall performance given how different they are.

Unfortunately, to find a sorted E30 M car is roughly in the 12-14k range with high miles.....and stock S2k's with eh miles are in that range as well.

I am seriously considering the S2k to go head to head with my buddy in that class, who runs the top E30 M3. More fun to run against folks you know. :)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That and the fact that it is really satisfying to pass a Vette/Porsche/BMW/etc in a lowly Mustang.

Actually one of my favorite parts. :coolman:

More fun to run against folks you know. :)

And to run similar times as well. It's not that much fun to spank your friends or get spanked by your friends. But it's really fun when you're running practically identical times and the competetive juices get flowing and you figure out how to squeeze and extra tenth or four from your lap times because you're being pushed or pushing closer to the limit.

I've done it with friends driving a Gen III RX-7, Corvette Z06's and Mustangs as well. It's a blast! :dancenana:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Sell the blower to fund tires/brakes/suspension.

Just a thought. Switching to a solid axle will lighten you up and solve rear heat problems too.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It isn't much fun I'll grant you, I just consider them an appetizer before I start feeding the thing Vipers. :D

Vipers are not a lot different than Z06's. They also require a fast driver and never seem to have one.

Passing Vipers in a Mustang is very entertaining and fun as well! :thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread