Atomic Bomb Testing (HD-a first)

oldmachguy

Established Member
Operational Nukes are Way More Powerful than on this clip.

Somehow I thought nukes were more destructive. Like wipe out an entire major city style.

IINM and IIRC:

All but a few of the detonations on that clip were single stage weapons - i.e., fission weapons like the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs -- called "Atomic bombs" or A-bombs. (TNT is used to start a chain reaction which splits isotopes of Uranium - U 238, I think, which then continues on its own.)

The "heat" from the fission reaction of an A-bomb is used to "detonate" the fusion reaction of a Hydrogen bomb ("H-bomb"), which is why they are referred to as multi-stage weapons. So, an A-bomb, which was most of the explosions you saw on the clip, is the detonator for an H-bomb.

BUT: all these are just single detonation tests, to study and develop the weapon. The wartime plan for these weapons is much more fearsome.

We used to think that if the USSR were to launch a massive strike, it would assign multiple weapons to all high-value targets. Take Los Angeles, for example: they would drop 4 or 5 multi-stage weapons on L.A., and 3 or 4 more in the Valley. But the number of weapons isn't the most important factor influencing effectiveness of a given strike. It's how they are used.

The detonations are air-bursts that occur at specific intervals so that the shock waves bounce (reflect) off the surrounding mountains, and then coalesce to form an exponentially more powerful shock wave that then strikes the surface and propagates outward - only to be reinforced by subsequent airbursts in the seconds that follow.

And the initial destruction, ironically, isn't the worst part (unless you happen to be there at the time). It's the radioactive fallout. But the folks with their fingers on the buttons knew (though they denied it) that any widespread exchange of nuclear fire would result in nuclear winter - so nuclear war was (and is) a lose - lose proposition.

But a single device is still a hell of a terrorist weapon.

Pretty crazy stuff, huh?

BTW, we haven't done any above ground testing since like the early '60s, and I think the last above ground nuclear test anywhere was like in 1980.

canibus

Established Member
Tsar looks massive. I guess I always thought these things swallowed cities and neighboring towns, blast wise. While I know everything factored in, the outcome would be complete destruction. I'm still kinda dissapointed nukes aren't as bad ass as I'd imagined them. No way one would ever save us from an end of the world scenerio against an asteroid.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Tsar looks massive. I guess I always thought these things swallowed cities and neighboring towns, blast wise. While I know everything factored in, the outcome would be complete destruction. I'm still kinda dissapointed nukes aren't as bad ass as I'd imagined them. No way one would ever save us from an end of the world scenerio against an asteroid.

IDK about that 50 megatons is what has been detonated...who knows what they could theoretically build. 200, 300, 500? A 500 Mega ton bomb would probably level Rhode Island.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Gives you an idea of how much Testing was done in the Nevada Desert. Lots of cool history in this area, and things that still go on.

Nevada (Nuclear) Test Site (Google Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting

If you scroll up North you will come up on the Sudan crater.
Google Maps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(nuclear_test)

Look Northeast from the Sudan crater on the same map, go over two mountain ranges and you run into Area 51/Groom Lake.

Google Maps

The Largest ever underground blast conducted by the United States was done in Alaska on Amchitka Island with a yielf of 5 MT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amchitka

The big daddy came in 1971. Project Cannikin was a 5-megaton explosion On Nov. 6, researchers for the Atomic Energy Commission detonated a warhead of the Spartan antiballistic missile system underground, about one mile beneath Amchitka. In reaction to the blast, the ground surface rose and fell 20 feet. The shock registered 7.0 on the Richter scale, the seismic unit of the time. Within two days after the explosion, a crater more than one mile wide and 40 feet deep formed.

Last edited:

Team Paulie

Established Member
Just think about what they have locked away right now....suitcase nukes scare me more then anything,or a chemical attack.

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
The full-length movie is on Netflix and I highly recommend it. Very good narration, but only at appropriate places. The narrator gives some background, then they spend the next 5 minutes showing different views of the bomb going off with intense ass orchestra music without any narration over it. They start from the TNT equivalent of the first atom bomb all the way up to the Tsar Bomb. Its a really amazing documentary.

Crazy stuff.

What's the name ?

7.62x51

Established Member
this is one of the best threads ever on SVTP.

Nukes are kinda let Jet Turbines, in the sense that the core concept is actually pretty simple, but somehow it ridiculously complicated and complex lol

Team Paulie

Established Member
Hmmm...lets see what happens when we split a atom..........'split'......BOOOM!!@@@......hmmmmm.....now lets add plutonium and have William shatner talk about it.....Academy award....

Users who are viewing this thread