Australian Bush Fires

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Hi All,

I'm sure by now you have all heard about the horrific bushfires that have been sweeping through Australia's South East coast state of Victoria.

As of this week the death toll has now gone over 200, and as a supplement to the tragedy, a volunteer firefighter lost his life the other afternoon when a burned out tree fell on his car and crushed him as he was heading back to base after his shift...

The sheer scope of these fires is difficult to comprehend as entire communities have literally been wiped off the map. Areas of ground turned to ash like something you would see in a Hollywood war movie. Fires so intense that alloy wheels from cars melted.

I was sent a link the other day from an article that appeared online in the Boston Globe website, I have attached the link so you can see for yourselves a snapshot of just how much these fires took and the fact that very little was spared.

Bushfires in Victoria, Australia - The Big Picture - Boston.com

I know everyone right now has to tighten their belt as the global financial crises deepens, however if anyone has any spare cash to donate, I have also included a link to the Australian Red Cross website.

Australian Red Cross

Ironically, Australia's North Eastern state, Queensland, has been inundated with the second worst flood in recorded history and those communities are also suffering. At the peak of the flood, over 400,000 square miles was under water. By comparison, Texas is just under 270,000...

Anyway, for those of you who can assist financially, the people the money will go to will be very grateful. For those of you not in a position to do so, I'm sure your thoughts and prayers will be heard. A lot of sadness here right now.

Oz

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I was just sent a power point file with images from the fires. Incredible to say the least...I have an aunt and uncle in Brisbane and have not heard from them about the fires but sure they have allot to tell.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Wildfires are terrible. A few years back I was staying with my grampa during a bunch of forest fires in Colorado; it got within 3 miles of his ranch, but he got lucky. I have some amazing pictures, but there all 35mm.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
its unbelievable that someone would think it would be a good idea to cause something like this to happen. i hope they catch those responsible for this :nonono:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
We have a friend living over there and he says it's awful. He has sent pics, there are some sick people out there if this is arson. What makes someone do this??

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Damn, that's awful. I like Australia!

I can't do anything to help, but I hope the best for solving the problem down there!

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Thanks for the messages of support.

To answer questions - yes some of the fires were deliberately lit but no, not by terrorists. Generall by people who just have a need to see fire, or as in one case, a volunteer fire fighter who needed to be the hero to go put the fire out once it had started. Other causes have included lightening strikes.

It's not over yet either with other towns now being threatened from fires still burning and others that started last week form lightening. This will be remembered as the fires that wiped out Victoria.

Oz

Users who are viewing this thread