Automakers again SCREWING the public? (Factory Warranty Related)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do that many people private sale cars so new they’re still under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Well, maybe not all that many, but it certainly happens. I wonder if @ArabianOak might comment on this, since he typically keeps a car mere weeks or short months and then re-sells. And he's had high-end vehicles along the way. Maybe not ones on that list, but that list could grow.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
This is only on special cars like the Z06, they are also blacklisting the flipper from future allocations.
Their trying to curb some of the jack-offs that brag about having 3 or 4 allocations at several dealers and selling their "spot", or plan on flipping the car right away.
GM should've done something similar to Ferrari and mandate the dealer sells at MSRP and if the buyer sells within 2 years the dealer has first rights.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I find it bizarre that the factory wants to dictate to a customer what they can do with their post purchase vehicle. Warranties have been transmissible for decades, They want to stop the customer from profiting but are ok with dealers charging ADM's? Where is the logic?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, maybe not all that many, but it certainly happens. I wonder if @ArabianOak might comment on this, since he typically keeps a car mere weeks or short months and then re-sells. And he's had high-end vehicles along the way. Maybe not ones on that list, but that list could grow.

Doesn't he typically buy pre-owned stuff?

I find it bizarre that the factory wants to dictate to a customer what they can do with their post purchase vehicle. Warranties have been transmissible for decades, They want to stop the customer from profiting but are ok with dealers charging ADM's? Where is the logic?

Read post #13

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
No.

Chevrolet, Ford, Stellantis, etc are cracking down on that as well.
Proof? And what does "cracking down" actually mean? Ford telling dealers they will incur a $25k fine for selling Lightning EV demos within 6 months of acquiring them is hardly cracking down when they just add a $75k ADM and profit by $50K.
Most of us have seen or heard what Farley has said but I'll believe it when I see it. When you find a dealership who takes care of you, stick with 'em.
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a Ford dealer who fits this description in my area since moving here 5 years ago. Last 2 Mustangs were private party purchases for this very reason. Hell, the Ford Dealer near me ****ed up the oil change on my GT350 so bad I vowed to never take it back. Service manager was a groveling POS. I LOL'd in his face.
Stop looking and just reach out to me :)
Getting on a plane now. Pick me up at airport and have my Mach 1 HP in FJG, iconic silver, or white waiting. I'll cut you some slack: you can pick the color. Oh, it has to have elite interior and Tremec as well. Hurry up! I'll be there in 3-4 hours!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Proof? And what does "cracking down" actually mean? Ford telling dealers they will incur a $25k fine for selling Lightning EV demos within 6 months of acquiring them is hardly cracking down when they just add a $75k ADM and profit by $50K.

Getting on a plane now. Pick me up at airport and have my Mach 1 HP in FJG, iconic silver, or white waiting. I'll cut you some slack: you can pick the color. Oh, it has to have elite interior and Tremec as well. Hurry up! I'll be there in 3-4 hours!

Ford release EFC10474 stating that it will be seen as a poor look for the brand and the first time you will lose 1 unit of allocation of the same vehicle (trim) for the following year, second infraction will be a years' worth of allocation for that particular unit.

There's still a week to order one before they close the banks.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Ford release EFC10474 stating that it will be seen as a poor look for the brand and the first time you will lose 1 unit of allocation of the same vehicle (trim) for the following year, second infraction will be a years' worth of allocation for that particular unit.

There's still a week to order one before they close the banks.
If I order, what is the timeline for build and delivery?

BTW I'm a cranky old man but I'm not old yet! Hence all the complaining! LOL

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I order, what is the timeline for build and delivery?

BTW I'm a cranky old man but I'm not old yet! Hence all the complaining! LOL

I'd say within 8 months.

Papaw

Established Member
What happens to the poor guy that stretches his budget to the max to buy his dream car and then has a personal or family emergency and needs to sell his new purchase?
This whole thing sounds almost illegal to me.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Pretty sure its legal, or at the very least, cost prohibitive to try and fight them in court. Likely all embedded in the purchase agreement.

Ford did something similar with the GT, and actually went after people over it and won.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What happens to the poor guy that stretches his budget to the max to buy his dream car and then has a personal or family emergency and needs to sell his new purchase?

I'm sure there's a clause on how to get rid of it prior to a year. I hope it has to be first right of refusal to the dealership, but I bet it goes to the manufacturer.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

1. Don't stretch that hard for a toy.
2. No one is saying you can't sell said toy. GM just isn't transferring the warranty and banning you from future allocations.
3. For every poor guy who has a financial emergency there is 100,000 guys who are flipping the car.

Those flippers are keeping untold amounts of budget stretching soon to die enthusiasts out of their dream car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a very good point.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

For every one of those guys, there are hundreds more guys who couldn't even experience the car they dreamt of, since all the allocations were gobbled up by investor buyers.

And like 13COBRA said, hopefully there's a clause for this, or maybe allow for a dealer buyback in such situations.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Speaking of which, Ford reopened its 2023 Lightning orders and increased based models by $7k but don't even think about buying a certain vehicle and flipping it because the warranty goes bye bye.

Users who are viewing this thread