Automobile - Ford GT vs. Corvette ZO6 vs. Dodge Viper Coupe

fordification

Established Member
Speaking of dinosaurs, I just heard that when the emissions standards kick in for 2007, the old ohv from Chev and Dodge will not pass. Kind of left it a little late.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
fordification said:
Speaking of dinosaurs, I just heard that when the emissions standards kick in for 2007, the old ohv from Chev and Dodge will not pass. Kind of left it a little late.

If thats true thats gonna suck for GM. Lot of change over cost going to be involved on many levels.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:

That is definately not true. Chevy has a 7L motor that gets better mileage than a 4.6L DOHC. Actually one of the reasons the GT will stop production is because they are unable to pass emmisions with the s/c setup.

Formula51

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Conjecture! The FGT will lose four hundred horse power after a few seconds of racing because of heat soak
Will it lose 400hp, of course not. Will it lose some power and more than an equivalent naturally aspirated engine, of course. Now how much power and how much that will effect the cars performance, that is the guesswork part, or conjecture.

Big 8 said:
Conjecture! The FGT has bad brakes. They cant keep up and will suffer massive failure after one hot lap!
The FGT does not have bad brakes and I do not believe anyone has said so. However, the FGT's brakes are less efficient at stopping the FGT than the Z06's brakes are at stopping the Z06. Thus, if both cars' brakes fade equally, the more twists and turns on a road course the more ground the FGT will lose to the Z06 (the difference in lateral G's also contributes here). The idea being that the Z06 can brake later into ALL turns and carry a higher speed through SOME turns.

Big 8 said:
Conjecture! The corvette Z06 is a faster road course car.
At the moment we don't really know which is the overall better road course car. All we know is that the FGT edged out the Z06 at a track considered by many to be not technical difficult as we have been calling it.

Big 8 said:
Conjecture! The course is not technical so the Corvette could not display its superior abilities.
This one is pure CONECTURE! However, there are some differences in performance numbers, namely braking and lateral g's, coupled with the Z06's lighter weight, which entice people to believe this. Future tests will hopefully determine if this inference is correct.

A test of the FGT at the "Ring" would answer all of the conjecture in this thread. It would account for brake fade, heat soak, and is renowned as one of the most technical tracks in the world. Unfortunately, we may never get a run of the FGT at the ring.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
XCELR8 said:
I'm hoping Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords will do a comparo. The seem to get the best numbers for any car...

That's because Evan Smith actually knows how to drive compared to your average mag editor/writer.

fordification

Established Member
stopping distances really doesn't tell the story for the efffects on a track. for one that amount of times the car needs to stop zero is never. and obviously peak lat g's doesn't explain everthing if average g's overwrite for a better track time. just my 2 cents.

OM1NOUS

...dogs of war!
Established Member
i think "top gear" should get "the stick" to drive them both. who better to test rivals than a true third party, especially one that has as much loathing for american cars as the british. that way there is no ford/chevy propaganda to be thrown in.
my neighbor bought his FGT and spent ALOT of money,195k!!(rich bastard), that being said i'll take the 06Z(get it 06 Z06). and hang right there with em don't need to beat him at all just prove for alot less im RIGHT there.
i am a die hard car nut, hell i even like alot of imports. i thought it was fantastic that ford brought the FGT back i hope they keep churning out innovative cars and i prey that chevy takes all this 06Z pot sturring in as a good thing and start pumping out cars that are cometitivie in todays street race driven market.... until gas makes it like the mid 70's we all sell our "muscle cars" and we get the mustang II back. i wasn't alive in the gas crunch days when corvettes were aborted for stem cell research. anyway good luck ford and chevy the skyline is coming(albeit neutered and fat).

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
while everyone is saying that they are surprised that the Z is competing with the GT, im surprised that the GT beat the Z. the Z was tuned at the nurb while the GT wasnt tuned at any track, really shows how good of a job ford did with this car.

BTW, the chev cobalts are running superchargers in the grand-am races and they are doing pretty well. pretty sure the minis are too.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
That is definately not true. Chevy has a 7L motor that gets better mileage than a 4.6L DOHC. Actually one of the reasons the GT will stop production is because they are unable to pass emmisions with the s/c setup.
Interesting I haven't heard that one- you don't by chance have a source? I've heard the one about the 06 or 07 crash standards and the Gt's bumper not cutting the mustard. As for the Vette and gas mileage how does the EPA rate vehicles these days - its no secret that vettes are light, and gear number 5 and 6 certainly (along with that ol skip shift feature) add to the mileage attainable by these cars however thats not emissions per se. If the EPA regulates by the emissions of the engine it may certainly be a different story. The cars could get great mileage because of the way they are set up, but it is plausible that they produce more emissions than another engine. Just curious...

Ry_Trapp0 said:
while everyone is saying that they are surprised that the Z is competing with the GT, im surprised that the GT beat the Z. the Z was tuned at the nurb while the GT wasnt tuned at any track, really shows how good of a job ford did with this car.

BTW, the chev cobalts are running superchargers in the grand-am races and they are doing pretty well. pretty sure the minis are too.
You don't really believe that Ford didn't track the FGT, do you? Rest assured Ford spent the coin on this one to get it right on the road, the track and the stage...

Last edited:

PKFIRE

Established Member
Has anyone heard rumors of a Supercharged Z06 being tested? I read it in one of my recent car magizines (Motor Trend or something of the sort). If that would ever go into production. Then what?

Joe

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
GOD I LOVE BEING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

They put the cars on a small 1.6 mile TECHNICAL track and guess what, the Z06 DOMINATED. I have to say it, I TOLD YOU SO! :pepper:
No more conjecture Big8.

1.6 mile road course lap:
Z06: 75.4 sec
FGT: 79.6 sec

According to MT, the track "consisted mostly of smooth, flat, medium to high speed turns with a few slow kinks thrown in for good measure."

Those "few slow kinks" were all it took to drastically seperate the cars.

In fairness, the GT that ran the lap times was a replacement car that was down 20 horsepower. This could bring the GT back a little closer, but as they said, "a decisive victory for team bow-tie." This also is the first I have heard of a GT "breaking", has their been any problems in other tests? Reminds me of the Ferrari or Lambo that broke in the other GT comparison. Atleast MT could get another GT to finish out the test.

On a side note, that makes three different 11.5-11.7 tests @ 125-127 mph for the Z06! That is INCREDIBLE!

Sorry for the childish post, but I get so annoyed when people don't listen to me. I am always right damnit! Just kidding guys :beer:

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Formula51 said:

They put the cars on a small 1.6 mile TECHNICAL track and guess what, the Z06 DOMINATED. I have to say it, I TOLD YOU SO! :pepper:
No more conjecture Big8.

1.6 mile road course lap:
Z06: 75.4 sec
FGT: 79.6 sec

According to MT, the track "consisted mostly of smooth, flat, medium to high speed turns with a few slow kinks thrown in for good measure."

Those "few slow kinks" were all it took to drastically seperate the cars.

In fairness, the GT that ran the lap times was a replacement car that was down 20 horsepower. This could bring the GT back a little closer, but as they said, "a decisive victory for team bow-tie." This also is the first I have heard of a GT "breaking", has their been any problems in other tests? Reminds me of the Ferrari or Lambo that broke in the other GT comparison. Atleast MT could get another GT to finish out the test.

On a side note, that makes three different 11.5-11.7 tests @ 125-127 mph for the Z06! That is INCREDIBLE!

Sorry for the childish post, but I get so annoyed when people don't listen to me. I am always right damnit! Just kidding guys :beer:

Hmm well I had a bit of trouble reading the small print- but I noticed they mentioned the GT was a bit overgeared for this course- obviously its a run what ya brung type thing but it is certainly worth pointing out, notice who won the 1/4 test? Interesting considering Gm's hype about power to weight... and its becoming apparent the Gt is much more of a tuned road car, and the vette, viper being more race cars posing as road cars, not a big deal but it can make a difference for all those non professional types who end up buying the things... That viper certainly stops on a dime eh? It had a much better showing this time around. And What a bunch of boobs on the Vette board for years the vipers have been top dog, now Gm with a chip on its shoulder comes out with a real competitor and instead of saying thanks- they rip on everything that doesn't have a bowtie on it.... also I've noticed how the real seller here seems to be that everything just became "overpriced" reminds me of when the 03 cobra came out....

Last edited:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Formula51 said:

...Sorry for the childish post, but I get so annoyed when people don't listen to me. I am always right damnit! Just kidding guys :beer:

No need to apologize, the C6-Z06 is a great car and has great value-to-performance which is why I'm getting one.

-RR

Big 8

Established Member
My My My...well I will let you gloat over this should you choose? :shrug: I was able to read some of the articale , threw in a few kinks? designed a course? Sounds a lot like a long autocross to me. :pop:

Besides I looked back at a few posts and your arguments usually are for the vette wining out on a bigger track like the ring. Not winning at an autocross? :nono:

The way I see it is simple, now your simply back to even, score is one to one.
Well I guess you could say one to one, considering the car that ran the laps was " engineering car with 40,000 hard miles" not a production GT? So thats a bit different then just being down 20hp isnt it? Or as they said " with the extra ponies and a little more bravado it may have put the GT ahead of the corvette" In any event the vette gets a win? one to one at best, but the vette will have the astric* next to this victory! :-D

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The other mag test had the Z06 win in the 1/4 and the GT win on the road course. This one has the GT win the 1/4 (as well as all other straight line acceleration tests) and the Z06 win on the road course/autocross. :shrug:
If I read the (hard to read) test correctly, the GT ran the 1/4 in 12.5 @ almost 129 mph. Not too bad a mph., considering this car was also probably a "ringer" because GTs only trap 125 in the 1/4. :rollseyes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread