Automobile - Ford GT vs. Corvette ZO6 vs. Dodge Viper Coupe

Big 8

Established Member
Well I was giving you a win, and will simply say you can have it. Rock on Chevy as the Z06 is one stellar car!

I read the full articale, noted that the driver as stated found the Z06 to be the easiest to drive, most tests confirm this. He placed it on sports mode with some good old electronic stability control, Traction control etc, guess he just didnt have the chest hair to drive a 600 plus BHP FGT! Maybe thats where you get you 131 MPH from in the 1/4? A pro driver and 600hp! Perhaps this editor wasnt the guy for the job, 600BHP and RWD wasnt his cup of tea without TCS and some electronic dancing!

I would suggest that they next time grab Brian Herta and let him run these cars on a real track not a conned auto cross course? The Ford didnt need to ever leave third gear during the entire test :shrug: :banana: Road course my ass!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Big 8 said:
Well I was giving you a win, and will simply say you can have it. Rock on Chevy as the Z06 is one stellar car!

I read the full articale, noted that the driver as stated found the Z06 to be the easiest to drive, most tests confirm this. He placed it on sports mode with some good old electronic stability control, Traction control etc, guess he just didnt have the chest hair to drive a 600 plus BHP FGT! Maybe thats where you get you 131 MPH from in the 1/4? A pro driver and 600hp! Perhaps this editor wasnt the guy for the job, 600BHP and RWD wasnt his cup of tea without TCS and some electronic dancing!

I would suggest that they next time grab Brian Herta and let him run these cars on a real track not a conned auto cross course? The Ford didnt need to ever leave third gear during the entire test :shrug: :banana: Road course my ass!

Dude,

When they raced at Gingerman the Z only reached a toop speed of 115mph and was the fastest. Gingerman was only a 3rd gear track and is only 2/10th longer than the track M/T tested at and they were runnin g132's which would mean that the track m/t tested at had an average higher speed. That takes your not a real track/autocross track arguement out.

Give the Z major respect, it beat the GT by over 4 sec! 20 hp and 40k miles is not going to make that big of a difference and if it did, I'd be dissapointed that a car of that cost losses that much performance with only 40k miles on it. And lets not forget, they make it sound like it was some beater, but in reality was probably very well taken care of (serviced, repaired). Kinda like a police car, they get the crap beat of them, but are very well taken care of.

This reminds me of the C/D article from a few months out when they gave the Gallardo higher marks even though it broke down and everyone was screaminf bloody murder and how could they place a car that broke down higher than the GT. The production GT they were given broke, and they still allowed Ford to provide a backup car for the test. They could have just as easily said the GT was a DNF because it broke.

BTW, I'm very dissapointed at the new vipers showing, thats why I never mention it.

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Dude,

When they raced at Gingerman the Z only reached a toop speed of 115mph and was the fastest. Gingerman was only a 3rd gear track and is only 2/10th longer than the track M/T tested at and they were runnin g132's which would mean that the track m/t tested at had an average higher speed. That takes your not a real track/autocross track arguement out.

Give the Z major respect, it beat the GT by over 4 sec! 20 hp and 40k miles is not going to make that big of a difference and if it did, I'd be dissapointed that a car of that cost losses that much performance with only 40k miles on it. And lets not forget, they make it sound like it was some beater, but in reality was probably very well taken care of (serviced, repaired). Kinda like a police car, they get the crap beat of them, but are very well taken care of.

This reminds me of the C/D article from a few months out when they gave the Gallardo higher marks even though it broke down and everyone was screaminf bloody murder and how could they place a car that broke down higher than the GT. The production GT they were given broke, and they still allowed Ford to provide a backup car for the test. They could have just as easily said the GT was a DNF because it broke.

BTW, I'm very dissapointed at the new vipers showing, thats why I never mention it.

First off the lambo thing sucked because they didnt have a back up lambo did they? They inserted times from another test. Oh and in that little test even though the Lambo may have finished higher it was not faster then the FGT nor was the F430.

This latest test is a joke as well. At least the automobile test had three testors and not one guy. One guy who couldnt drive a 600 hp FGT to its full potential. He pretty much states it in the articale.

The Z06 gets respect because it earns it. I dont need to give it to it. The car is by far one of the best performing easiest to drive out there.
I have said it in this thread before that this test and the last prove really nothing. That all three cars are about evenly matched and the winner of any race would be the better driver. First test showed this and especially this one IMHO. A driver who was not a pro turned his fastest lap in the easiest car to drive fast.

I think looking at this test it would also confirm that the GT is the car with greater potential. Now getting someone to exstract it , thats where you need the better driver. The FGT test with the CGT and Enzo showed just what a great driver can do with the FGT. Would he also be able to take the Z06 to its fullest? Sure. But this is where I think you would see the FGT as the clear performance winner. Again IMHO?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
And lets not forget, they make it sound like it was some beater, but in reality was probably very well taken care of (serviced, repaired). Kinda like a police car, they get the crap beat of them, but are very well taken care of.

That ain't true. Trust me on that one. :lol1: They not only get the crap beat out of them, but they get straight up abused. I know one they use at wixom for evaluation has been wrecked 3 times. I've seen paint jobs ruined from running it through auto car washes. Busted fascias. Rubber filled fenderwells.

I know logic would dictate taking care of such items, but that's not the case. I guess it's because when 250 people all get their 15 minutes of fame over the course of 40,000 miles, you're gonna get a whole lot of ass whooping and past-sanity abuse. (especially on something like the brakes, which would suffer drastically if not in optimal condition)

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
DBK said:
I know logic would dictate taking care of such items, but that's not the case. I guess it's because when 250 people all get their 15 minutes of fame over the course of 40,000 miles, you're gonna get a whole lot of ass whooping and past-sanity abuse. (especially on something like the brakes, which would suffer drastically if not in optimal condition)

So you are telling me Ford supplied MT with a GT, which they new was being used to compare to the Z06 and Viper and did not even make sure the brakes were fresh. I would seriously doubt that.

I don't doubt that during the course of testing at Ford the car is not in top shape, which could explain why it was down 20 horsepower, but you better believe they serviced it before giving it to MotorTrend. To think otherwise is illogical in my opinion. Your reputation is on the line everytime someone tests your car, especially when they publisize those results to the masses.

As for the 1/4 mile results. The Z06 edged the GT out by 2 tenths in the first comparison and the GT edged the Z06 out by 1 tenth in this comparison. They were also only 1 tenth apart up to 100mph. At what point do ya'll say two cars are equal!?! To me these two cars are equal in acceleration up to atleast 100mph and close up to 150mph. 1 or 2 tenths either way is certainly a drivers race. What would be real nice to see is a comparison showing 60' times which I think would tell the story.

Lets Summarize: Winner Highlighted in RED
(EDITED per Captains request)

1/4 Mile
Test 1
Z06: 12.0 sec
FGT: 12.2 sec

Test 2
Z06: 11.6 @ 126.6 mph
FGT: 11.5 @ 128.7 mph

Best Lap Time
Test 1
Z06: 1:32.75 sec
FGT: 1:32.45 sec

Test 2
Z06: 1:15.4 sec
FGT: 1:19.6 sec

Braking
Test 1
Z06: (70-0mph) 149 ft
FGT: (70-0mph) 156 ft

Test 2
Z06: (60-0mph) 100 ft
FGT: (60-0mph) 114 ft

Lateral G's
Test 1
ZO6: l/r: 1.10/1.09 G's
FGT: l/r: 1.03/1.01 G's

Test 2
Z06: 1.01g Average
FGT: 0.95g Average

--------------
Z06 = 6
FGT = 2
--------------

Basically, the two cars are Neck and Neck in accleration. I don't want to get into a huge debate on the track times because unfortunately the Ford GT can't drive around the track without breaking so we don't have the fariest of comparisons in the second test done by MotorTrend. We will leave this one as very close and undecided. As for braking and lateral g's, there is no question, Z06 hands down.

Two awesome cars! I will take my FGT in Tungsten with Black Stripes and my Z06 in Silver or Blue please!

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
So you are telling me Ford supplied MT with a GT, which they new was being used to compare to the Z06 and Viper and did not even make sure the brakes were fresh. I would seriously doubt that.

I don't doubt that during the course of testing at Ford the car is not in top shape, which could explain why it was down 20 horsepower, but you better believe they serviced it before giving it to MotorTrend. To think otherwise is illogical in my opinion. Your reputation is on the line everytime someone tests your car, especially when they publisize those results to the masses.

As for the 1/4 mile results. The Z06 edged the GT out by 2 tenths in the first comparison and the GT edged the Z06 out by 1 tenth in this comparison. They were also only 1 tenth apart up to 100mph. At what point do ya'll say two cars are equal!?! To me these two cars are equal in acceleration up to atleast 100mph and close up to 150mph. 1 or 2 tenths either way is certainly a drivers race. What would be real nice to see is a comparison showing 60' times which I think would tell the story.

1/4 Mile
Test 1

Test 2
Z06: 11.6 sec
FGT: 11.5 sec

Best Lap Time
Test 1

Test 2

Braking
Test 1

Test 2

Z06: (100-0mph) 283 ft
FGT: (100-0mph) 321 ft

Lateral G's
Test 1
ZO6: l/r: 1.10/1.09 G's
FGT: l/r: 1.03/1.01 G's

Test 2
Z06: 1.01g Average
FGT: 0.95g Average

Basically, the two cars are Neck and Neck in accleration. I don't want to get into a huge debate on the track times because unfortunately the Ford GT can't drive around the track without breaking so we don't have the fariest of comparisons in the second test done by MotorTrend. We will leave this one as very close and undecided. As for braking and lateral g's, there is no question, Z06 hands down.

Two awesome cars! I will take my FGT in Tungsten with Black Stripes and my Z06 in Silver or Blue please!

You convenietly forgot to mention 1/4 mph, 0-60, top speeds etc.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
You convenietly forgot to mention 1/4 mph, 0-60, top speeds etc.

I most certainly did not. 1/4 mph was not reported in the Automobile test to my knowledge so it did not make for the best comparison, reason why I did not include the M/T figure eight time (which the Z won). I will add the mph onto the MotorTrend test numbers for good measure though. I figured 0-60mph is taken care of in the 1/4 mile numbers, this is the same reason I did not list 0-100mph, well that and Automobile didnt record it. Top speeds were not tested in either of these tests, they are both the manufacturers numbers, we all know them, and they are irrelevant. Read both tests again and if there are any numbers of significance that were recorded in BOTH tests then post them and I will edit my above post.

This is not some conspiracy Captain, these are the numbers, like them or not.

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
Well your right about one thing drivers race. However get two of the best or even one and let him ring em out for all they are worth and the GT will be faster. IMO!

I think one thing here is that all these numbers tell a story. However there are always other stories. I posted in the GT ran the ring thread about how the Ferrari employees were lined up to get their pictures taken with the FGT, Some how I dont think that would be the case with the Z06! Take that how ya want but its just another story, another stat if you will.

Formula51

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Well your right about one thing drivers race. However get two of the best or even one and let him ring em out for all they are worth and the GT will be faster. IMO!

Maybe, maybe not. We haven't had a professional driver ring out the Z06 yet. I do however think that the FGT would be a tenth or so faster based on its trap speed and rear weight bias (traction).

Big 8 said:
I think one thing here is that all these numbers tell a story. However there are always other stories. I posted in the GT ran the ring thread about how the Ferrari employees were lined up to get their pictures taken with the FGT, Some how I dont think that would be the case with the Z06! Take that how ya want but its just another story, another stat if you will.

It is not another stat at all, that would be like me saying gas mileage, amenities or MSRP is a stat. It IS something the Z06 cannot quite give you, but it has nothing to do with performance which is what we are talking about. No one argues which car has more apeal, is more exotic, gives men a BIGGER BONER, etc. The name is FORD GT!

I removed the 100-0mph braking from the list as I thought it was unfair to include two braking numbers under the same test, especially since the Z06 will win any braking test over the GT.

Big 8

Established Member
Well after all this arguing and bickering we are pretty close to agrement. I will however look at the Automobile test. I believe curb appeal was factored in??? Even if it were not the FGT is the Angelina Jolie of sports cars. Yes very much a perspective of the individual, however looks is also one major deciding factor in who you wish to ride, I mean drive!

Formula51

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Well after all this arguing and bickering we are pretty close to agrement. I will however look at the Automobile test. I believe curb appeal was factored in??? Even if it were not the FGT is the Angelina Jolie of sports cars. Yes very much a perspective of the individual, however looks is also one major deciding factor in who you wish to ride, I mean drive!

I call it debating, not arguing :)

Curb appeal is factored into almost all magazine comparisons, remember the infamous Mustang GT over the Pontiac GTO because of the "got to have it factor"! I was just comparing the cars purely from a performance standpoint. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I however, would love to ride Angelina Jolie OR drive a Ford GT.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Formula51 said:

That's exactly what I'm telling you. The prepared car took a shit so they sent out a last second replacement. I highly doubt they took the time to replace the pads and rotors on a whooped ass eval car. I've driven a couple dozen in my lifetime, including press cars, and they come as they are. In fact, I've driven press cars way more expensive than the GT that had just been tested with issues from the pummelings...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Formula51 said:
(EDITED per Captains request)

0-60mph
Test 1
Z06: 4.1 seconds
FGT: 3.8 seconds

Test 2
Z06: 3.8 seconds
FGT: 3.4 seconds

1/4 Mile
Test 1

Test 2
Z06: 11.6 @ 126.6 mph
FGT: 11.5 @ 128.7 mph

Best Lap Time
Test 1

Test 2

Braking
Test 1

Test 2

--------------
Z06 = 4
FGT = 4
--------------

I removed lateral g's because it's equally as pointless to quote as top speed. It's a largely academic statistic, unless you spend your time driving your car in a 300 ft circle. Cars like the 360 Modena didn't pull near what a C5 Z06 did and even with less power they'd still make it around the track in the same amount of time. I added 0-60 because it's one of the only auto rag stats that gets put to the test on the street, and is probably the most quoted auto performance figure in the land. The GT wins that easily.

So if you add in lateral G's the Z06 wins. If you add in top speed, the GT does.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
DBK said:
I removed lateral g's because it's equally as pointless to quote as top speed. It's a largely academic statistic, unless you spend your time driving your car in a 300 ft circle. Cars like the 360 Modena didn't pull near what a C5 Z06 did and even with less power they'd still make it around the track in the same amount of time. I added 0-60 because it's one of the only auto rag stats that gets put to the test on the street, and is probably the most quoted auto performance figure in the land. The GT wins that easily.

So if you add in lateral G's the Z06 wins. If you add in top speed, the GT does.

This seems to be a more realistic comparo. Thanks DBK. :beer:

Formula51

Established Member
DBK said:

Well, in my opinion 0-60mph is taken care of in the 1/4 mile run so I did not post it. If you want to count it that is fine. But if we are going to count that then we should count lateral g's as these were obtained ON THE TRACK not on a skid pad. Thus, the Z still comes out on top, 6 to 4. Top speed WAS NOT TESTED in either of these tests. AT ALL. They are manufacturers numbers. And they are irrelevant numbers to 1/4 mile, track time (on these tracks), braking, and lateral g's. We both know lateral g's are more important to a cars track times than the top speed which differs by 7 mph (stated).

The point is, ANYWAY YOU SLICE IT, the Z06 is equal to or better than the FGT in overall performance........so far.........

Last edited:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Formula51 said:
The point is, ANYWAY YOU SLICE IT, the Z06 is equal to or better than the FGT in overall performance........so far.........

And that point is the most significant of all.

-RR

Big 8

Established Member
Your leaving out what they tested in terms of the other acceleration tests as well. The in gear time, and the 10MPH intervals all of which were recorded in the first test. All of which were won by the FGT.

You can lay a claim that it may be an equal but I seriously doubt that let alone the better. I believe the guy who wrote the articale stated that the Vette beats the Viper.Then a few sentences later speaking on the FGT states its in a whole different class. Which is actually the most significant point of all.
The FGT is the Mona Lisa, Sure you can hang a nagle ( figured the vette crowd would know who this was) if ya like. Its a picture, you can see it, you can touch it and it can do everything the Mona Lisa can do, but simply put its still not the mona lisa?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Formula51 said:
But if we are going to count that then we should count lateral g's as these were obtained ON THE TRACK not on a skid pad. Thus, the Z still comes out on top, 6 to 4.

How? The fact that the Z06 also pulls more lateral g's on the track, yet still makes around the course slower than the GT should prove that lateral g's is highly overrated. I'm not saying it's a moderately useful gauge of grip, but what you're saying is pretty much driving home my conclusion. I doubt a race has ever been run where the guy finishing in second says "well, I pulled more g's than you did"...

True mid-engine > front mid-engine

Users who are viewing this thread