Aviator swap?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I spun a bearing on my 97 Cobra last weekend but was not going to do a build next year or possibly longer. Tonight, a friend of my fathers offered me a 2003 Aviator 4v complete from intake to oil pan with 6500 miles for $1500. Life would be to simple if it was a direct swap so I assume that I will need some additional parts so I was wondering if anyone on here did a swap like this and what was required to do it right? Off the top of my head I will need a new cai/rai and throttle/cruise cables. Will the "C" head manifolds line up with the "B" head exhaust?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You will need to get a hold of a 99-01 cobra intake/03-04 mach intake, throttle and cruise cables, either swap over your timing cover or get a cobra/mach cover, new flywheel since your cobra flywheel won't bolt up to the aviator crank. As for the manifolds I believe there is a small difference; you can either port out your stock ones to match the ports or take the chance to do long tubes.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I have the throttle/cruise cables and a 99 or 01 timing cover on hand. Do I need the whole intake or just the lid? I would like to do headers but this was completely unexpected and my extra funds might get eaten up by the small parts I will need.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You will need:
96-98 front cover
C intake
tb
cables
96-98 valve covers

Use your intake cams (at a 108LC)

Check the link I sent ya.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Thanks Todd:rockon: Roughly what would it make for hp with the intake cams and either the FR500 or PSR intake?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Thanks Todd:rockon: Roughly what would it make for hp with the intake cams and either the FR500 or PSR intake?

FR500 intake, 96-98 intake cams, long tubes, maybe 350.
-with custom intake cams, around 370.
-with four custom cams, around 380.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
FR500 intake, 96-98 intake cams, long tubes, maybe 350.
-with custom intake cams, around 370.
-with four custom cams, around 380.

:beer:

Sell your supercharger, and lightly mod the c head motor....

I have someone interested in the s/c and intercooler. If am 99% sure I will be picking up the long block and if so it will be getting my intake cams, FR500 and long tubes. Next would be all new cams, T56 and IRS with 4:56's.

Doc.stang

Established Member
just did this, using an 05 aviator,
aluminum block,
and some used 98 cobra cams,
pleased with hp and torque,
todd was a big help,

picked up like 60-80 lbs up front, somehow,
was wondering if my donor aviator had somehow been slipped an iron block before going to salvage, . . .
(suspicious, since my 98 svt, off of ebay, had been slipped a Mark VIII block, unbeknownst to me, when i bought it)
but it is, in fact, aluminum (block and heads),

got mine for $1,350, with 125,000 on the clock,

hope that helps,
don't know how much the nose weighting will be an issue,

shopping for treadmills now :)

Last edited:

Doc.stang

Established Member
used the 98 front cover,
stayed with coil packs instead of cop's
stayed with the 98 b-head valve covers, but this presented some issues with the pcv opening - - -
had to put a breather valve in oil cap location, to remedy this nasty squeeking/sucking sound from the vacuum
and the rubber plug sealing off the passenger pcv hole, makes for a tight-arse fit for the rubber intake elbow (read: had to loosen and raise the upper, to get it to go back on)

all is working well,
looking back, i'd probably splurge on teh c-head valve covers, as i THINK, they make the pcv/intake fittement issue less tedious.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
:beer:

I have someone interested in the s/c and intercooler. If am 99% sure I will be picking up the long block and if so it will be getting my intake cams, FR500 and long tubes. Next would be all new cams, T56 and IRS with 4:56's.

Maybe up and running late June?? Hmmm....maybe another highway run? Muahah

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Just out of curiousity, if you had a good cobra crank, could you just swap that in with some new bearings?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
used the 98 front cover,
stayed with coil packs instead of cop's
stayed with the 98 b-head valve covers, but this presented some issues with the pcv opening - - -
had to put a breather valve in oil cap location, to remedy this nasty squeeking/sucking sound from the vacuum
and the rubber plug sealing off the passenger pcv hole, makes for a tight-arse fit for the rubber intake elbow (read: had to loosen and raise the upper, to get it to go back on)

all is working well,
looking back, i'd probably splurge on teh c-head valve covers, as i THINK, they make the pcv/intake fittement issue less tedious.

I'm going to use the COP's on mine since that is one of the things I planned on doing to my original engine anyway.

Maybe up and running late June?? Hmmm....maybe another highway run? Muahah

I hope it will be running sometime in June if all goes well. I need some parts for the swap so I will see how things go.

Just out of curiousity, if you had a good cobra crank, could you just swap that in with some new bearings?

Probably so but I was planning on ditching the s/c and doing a "C" head swap anyway so I think there will be less headaches this way. I will tear down the engine later to see what is wrong and make the call to fix it or part it out.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
There's no benefit as the cast crank can handle more power than the stock rods and pistons.

I see, makes sense. So the only real benefit would be that you wouldn't need to change the flywheel (assuming it was still good). Yes it is more work changing the crank than the flywheel, but if the flywheel is still good and the forged crank is still good then that'd save money. Also it'd be a good excuse to change the bearings!

You know before I always thought no I don't want a C-headed intake because the B-headed intake looks better. Now I'm realizing it's hard enough to keep the outside of my car clean, and I never clean the engine bay anyways so I don't show it off haha. This is the swap I'll be working towards. Motor: 1500, Cams: 1200, Ported Short Runner: 800 = great n/a motor + N20 = fast car :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread