AWD TrailBlazer SS vs. Ford Lightning

ballhawkdawk

I ran into my cousin earlier by chance while driving down the road. He has a 1999 Lightning with a 2lb pulley, tune, and some minor suspension work. I have a stock 2006 TBSS. He honked it off from around 25 and jumped out a foot or two. We ran it up to a little over 100 before we both let off, pretty much dead even. I expected to lose by a car or two since he's putting out something north of 330 HP or so and a typical AWD SS puts out a little less than 300. Regardless, I'm sure we'll be running again, hopefully with more mods done to both vehicles.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Tb ss dyno around 300...? Arent they rated at 390 or so, i figured they'd be a little higher...anywho good race

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Well the AWD eats up more power than a RWD TBSS. Good race I would have expected you to lose by a little more also. I plan on owning a silver RWD TBSS in the near future. I love those things, looks, utility, comfort, and pretty decent power all rolled into one.

ballhawkdawk

good run, i thought the Lightning would have got you by alittle tho
He's getting it re-tuned and hopefully I'll have at least a CAI on there by then. With a proper tune he should get me by two lengths or so, I would think. Once the rematch goes down, I'll be sure to post it. hopefully we'll actually set it up this time and get it on video.

jeffs

Established Member
What kind of powerplants are these SS Trailblazers running??? I've heard of one here that spanked a 03/04 Cobra if I remember correctly. Remember the turbocharged Cyclones and Typhoons of the late 80's early 90's, I remember wichever one was the pickup spanked a 66 chevelle with a tunnel rammed 383 badly back in the day and the Chevelle was reguarded as a pretty fast car.

Sarge_13

Established Member
What kind of powerplants are these SS Trailblazers running??? I've heard of one here that spanked a 03/04 Cobra if I remember correctly. Remember the turbocharged Cyclones and Typhoons of the late 80's early 90's, I remember wichever one was the pickup spanked a 66 chevelle with a tunnel rammed 383 badly back in the day and the Chevelle was reguarded as a pretty fast car.

The TBSS has an LS2.
nice run OP. that's street racing for ya :burnout:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'm torn on this one. Own one of both. From a dead the L should've handled ya if his tune is worth a shiat. In cold air my 2.76 upper only truck (1.5-2lb) runs 12.7's @ 105, of course the truck is tuned, highflow catted x, and CAI. Granted in hot air it does slow down quite a bit, but not as slow as my RWD TBSS which has a K&N CAI, Superchip flashpaq, and a JBA catback. It only runs 13.7 @ 100. :shrug:

burnzilla

Established Member
I'm torn on this one. Own one of both. From a dead the L should've handled ya if his tune is worth a shiat. In cold air my 2.76 upper only truck (1.5-2lb) runs 12.7's @ 105, of course the truck is tuned, highflow catted x, and CAI. Granted in hot air it does slow down quite a bit, but not as slow as my RWD TBSS which has a K&N CAI, Superchip flashpaq, and a JBA catback. It only runs 13.7 @ 100. :shrug:

Im going to have to agree with this, only because I have seen many TB SS's and Jeep SRT-8's run over the past few months.
They are great of the line, but thats about it.

Last edited:

pharmd2010

Established Member

Im going to have to agree with this, only because I have seen many TB SS's and Jeep SRT-8's run over the past few months.

Thats just what happens on the street sometimes. The OP admits that the L should have taken him as do most of us. But on the street you never know what will happen. Maybe the L spun too much. Maybe the TBSS got the jump. Who knows. It is what it is. Nice run OP!

pharmd2010

Established Member

Seeing as the OP ran side by side with his buddies L, I would say they're a little better than just off the line. I think an SUV running times like the TBSS and Jeep SRT8 do is pretty impressive.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Seeing as the OP ran side by side with his buddies L, I would say they're a little better than just off the line. I think an SUV running times like the TBSS and Jeep SRT8 do is pretty impressive.

A AWD TBSS is about .3ths slower than a RWD TBSS. And the SRT8JGC just spanks them all.

ballhawkdawk

I'll agree with that.. im not sure how well the TBSS responds to mods, but this thing feels slow as shit after 60 MPH.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Thats just what happens on the street sometimes. The OP admits that the L should have taken him as do most of us. But on the street you never know what will happen. Maybe the L spun too much. Maybe the TBSS got the jump. Who knows. It is what it is. Nice run OP!

Agreed:beer:

They definitely are! Plenty of cars/trucks out there that are faster but the TBSS and SRTJ's are just plain badass.
Three things that attribute to that....gearing, weight, and a larger frontal area than my ****ing garage door.

:lol:

Mach&Roll

Established Member
I am trying to decide if I want a lightning or a tbss awd. We get a little snow here but I doubt I would drive in it much.

Users who are viewing this thread