Axle Seal Still Leaking After Replacement

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Had a pretty good leak from my Pass. Side axle seal (flinging all around). Stock 03 IRS.

Popped the axle out and replaced the seal (with the bearing/seal kit from American Muscle). Lubed the seal with diff fluid before re-installing the axle.

Drove the car about 150 miles so far and I still have a leak coming from the seal. It's not flinging, but I have a couple of drops on the ground and a little bit of a seeping from the seal.

Noticed that there was a little bit of a groove in the snub part of the axle (not deep, but could feel "waves" for lack of a better description), i cleaned all the grime and crud off the snub before reinstalling axled and lubed it with diff fluid.

Any thoughts on the leak? I have read about having to slightly sand the grooves out of the axle where it rides against the old seal? Probably will just wait until spring to deal with it but would like to hear some 2nd opinions.

Thanks!

Dan

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Did you replace the bearing as well? If the bearing is bad, that seal will not be able to do it's job. Were you VERY careful inserting the axle spline when you went through the seal reinstalling the halfshaft?

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
No on the bearing, as it didn't seem bad (rolled freely, no crud) but maybe it could still use replaced (75k miles) and yes, I had the halfshaft totally loose of the control arms and held it parallel and slid it in, can't imagine damaging it. I may just pull the whole diff over winter and have it gone over with new seals and bearings etc.

Last edited:

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Bumping this because now I am stumped. The seal was leaking after the first time I replaced it, so I crawled under and saw that the IRS had play in it and the bushings were just shot, I could see fluid seep out when I pushed on the pumpkin.

I replaced both seals, both bearings, added IRS brace and poly bushings. Cleaned up the axles with a red scotchbrite pad to try and smooth out any grooves.

100 miles later, leaking again, same side as before (passenger side). Is there something else I am missing? Anything else I can try before I drop $400+ for a half shaft?

MG0h3

Established Member
Make sure the breather isnt plugged up.

Ive resinstalled plenty of axles that have a groove that you can see/feel and they didnt leak afterwards.

I overfilled my diff a little after doing all the bushings and had some push out the breather.

If you hadnt seen oil seeping out when you pushed on the diff I would say to make sure that it isn't just running down from somewhere else.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Try a readi sleeve...

its a shim that gets pressed on axle to make a new surface ..

used to cover grooves from old seal wear

MG0h3

Established Member
Above is a good option too.

Ive seen the spring pop out during the install process so I always put a couple dabs of axle grease in the back of the seal. Just something to consider also.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Make sure the breather isnt plugged up.

Ive resinstalled plenty of axles that have a groove that you can see/feel and they didnt leak afterwards.

I overfilled my diff a little after doing all the bushings and had some push out the breather.

If you hadnt seen oil seeping out when you pushed on the diff I would say to make sure that it isn't just running down from somewhere else.

Thanks for the information. I didn't think of the breather, but I had it filled to just under the plug, and if I were to guess, about a quart and a half, maybe more. I found it weird that there were no leaks for the first 50-60 miles I drove it, and now I have 2-3 drops on the ground any time I drive it.

Try a readi sleeve...

its a shim that gets pressed on axle to make a new surface ..

used to cover grooves from old seal wear

Definitely sounds cheaper than a new axle, I will look into that if the above is not the problem. Thanks.

Last edited:

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Above is a good

Ive seen the spring pop out during the install process so I always put a couple dabs of axle grease in the back of the seal. Just something to consider also.

I was going to say this, I always pack the back side of any seal with grease to keep that spring from coming off.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
So update. After getting everything back together and driving it 2-3 times, I still had the leak. Drove it a few more times and the leak stopped. I am going to assume that I slightly overfilled and now it is back to normal, but everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to chine in on this thread, it is always appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread