axleback hp?

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
adding a flowmaster hushpower axle back tonight. how must hp will this add to the stock car. and then with a sct tuner.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
From what I've been reading/hearing you will get very little power improvements from an axle back or catback.

The main plus of changing them is to get the particular sound that you are wanting from your car.

I'm still searching for a catback/axleback system for my car. I will be putting the Lethal Performance 3" X-pipe on my car tomorrow morning. I'm constantly searching Youtube for new soundclips from the new 2011 GT's.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
installed in less than 30 min. sounds very very deep and not raspy. i like it, but would like the exhaust to be a lil louder. without deleting cats, what would help this. x-pipe?

Driver72

Established Member
I would guess you'll get 3-4 hp from an axleback, mainly because it's only allowing the car to exhale a bit better. You'll probably drop 10-15 lbs in weight too.

Catback system probably gets you about 6-7 hp as you are allowing even more air to escape easier.

A tune probably does not do much for a car with just an exhaust, especially a catback or axle back. The tunes are needed when you add an intake that allows more air in, not how much air is being let out.

You need more air coming INTO the engine to make significantly more power. Exhausts compliment CAI's that allow more air to come in, and therefore the aftermarket exhaust's allow that extra air to escape better.

To me:
Axle backs are 90% for sound, 10% for performance.
Cat backs are 75% for sound, 25% for performance
Full exhausts are 50% sound and 50% performance

DIB5.0

Established Member
How loud over stock is it?
I really like the JLT just because Tucker has been so upfront with the dyno results of his intake with a tune. While Steeda has tried to claim over 40 rwhp , Tucker has showed us what we will gain going from 93 to 93 which i think he said was up to 26rwhp.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
sound over stock is interesting. its beefy from outside, but inside the car is not that loud. could be just bc for designed the interior to be more comfortable?

rexisme

Established Member
A tune probably does not do much for a car with just an exhaust, especially a catback or axle back. The tunes are needed when you add an intake that allows more air in, not how much air is being let out.

You're wrong. A tune will greatly benefit a completely bone stock car.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
my car picked up 30 rwhp and 25tq with a tune and lethel xpipe. stock cat back and stock air box. I'd say a tune is well worth it.

rexisme

Established Member
I believe most are going with the offroad, so yes. At least I know I will be.

Driver72

Established Member
You're wrong. A tune will greatly benefit a completely bone stock car.

I think you missed my point.
I realize a tune on a stock car will give you about 15-18 hp (which to be honest with you is NOT a lot)
But the op was asking how much would the axleback add and then how much with a tune.

The point was that even with a tune, you aren't going to gain a lot from an axleback alone.
Meaning a tune alone will get you 15-18 rwhp, but there is no "tune" for an axleback that's going to greatly improve upon that.
Unlike an intake, where you'll get at most 5-6 rwhp from just the CAI but when you add a tune to the CAI you get 24-26 rwhp.

But unlike what you think, those numbers are still not great, because it's a NA car. Consider on a car like the N54 powered 335i, a tune alone gets you 60-70 rwhp and an intake and tune can be 80 rwhp.

So it's a bit overzealous of you to say a tune will "greatly benefit" a stock 5.0. It helps but wouldn't call it "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
I realize a tune on a stock car will give you about 12-15 hp (which to be honest with you is NOT a lot)
But the op was asking how much would the axleback add and then how much with a tune.

The point was that even with a tune, you aren't going to gain a lot from an axleback alone.
Meaning a tune alone will get you 15-18 rwhp, but there is no "tune" for an axleback that's going to greatly improve upon that.
Unlike an intake, where you'll get at most 5-6 rwhp from just the CAI but when you add a tune to the CAI you get 24-26 rwhp.

But unlike what you think, those numbers are still not great, because it's a NA car. Consider on a car like the N54 powered 335i, a tune alone gets you 60-70 rwhp and an intake and tune can be 80 rwhp.

So it's a bit overzealous of you to say a tune will "greatly benefit" a stock 5.0. It helps but wouldn't call it "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

Your right on the money with that. This crap about getting 40+ rwhp with tune and CAI is just crazy. With exhaust AM picked up another 19rwhp so with exhaust/tune/CAI you can pick up 40rwhp, add LT's and you can pick up more.
So what is the #'s you have seen with LT's/exhaust/tune/CAI?

ViciousJay

Established Member
If you went hush then i would say it will sound tame, should have done one of the following..

1. Bought American Thunder Classic

or

2. buy some tips and drop some weld in's

Last edited:

07TorchRedGT

Established Member
On most of the vids ive seen the Flowmaster hushpower is louder and sounds better than the other flowmaster a/b. Just my personal opinion.
I think with the new sound deading material they are using with the Stangs you are not going to hear a axle back exhaust as much as you have in the past (unless its really obnoxiously loud) in the cabin with the windows up. So if you do get to the point when you can hear it well in cabin with the windows up, it will probally be retardedly loud.
You can always roll the windows down when you want to hear the exhaust better.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I realize a tune on a stock car will give you about 15-18 hp So it's a bit overzealous of you to say a tune will "greatly benefit" a stock 5.0. It helps but wouldn't call it "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

On the new 5.0 some tuners are finding some incredible numbers now ..on totally stock new 5.0 Mustangs. Only time will tell when they hit the magazines. I cant say much...but its alot more than 15 to 18 now on these cars. Amazing what can be done with this new motor and its new computer

Back on topic.....the only benefit from an axle back will be a nice sound. Stock mine is super quiet as you know with how yours was too. I see no really killer gains from them.

I like the idea of maybe taking out the resonators and see how they sound. Good idea. I know I have heard people take the mufflers off and just run the resonators...too annoying to me.

Users who are viewing this thread