axleback hp?

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
just did a resinator delete. its a lil louder but not by much. i think the hushpowers sound kinda like a glasspack IMO. its nice, but mabey im just not used to it??? my other car has mac LTs, lethal x and bassani catback. i f'in love the sound of them. sound of the axleback is nice, crisp and very deep. they dont really scream at WOT and mabey thats what im missing. im just wondering if i add an x-pipe if it might change that. any opinions?

DIB5.0

Established Member
On the new 5.0 some tuners are finding some incredible numbers now ..on totally stock new 5.0 Mustangs. Only time will tell when they hit the magazines. I cant say much...but its alot more than 15 to 18 now on these cars. Amazing what can be done with this new motor and its new computer

Back on topic.....the only benefit from an axle back will be a nice sound. Stock mine is super quiet as you know with how yours was too. I see no really killer gains from them.

I like the idea of maybe taking out the resonators and see how they sound. Good idea. I know I have heard people take the mufflers off and just run the resonators...too annoying to me.

Have you had your '11 dynoed since your tune? How much did it gain? I see all these claims by tuners of over 40rwhp but this is going from 87 to 93 tuned and CAI. Yet the majority of individuals who dyno stock 93 and then with tune/CAI 93 are not seeing these gains but only 20-26.
Look at the AM car who gained 22rwhp with tune/CAI and another 19 with exhaust. You telling me BAMA does not have the knowledge others have and can only get these #'s?
I want to see some dyno charts of 93 stock to 93 tuned and a gain of 40rwhp.

rexisme

Established Member
God, some people just shouldn't throw out advice when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Driver72

Established Member
On the new 5.0 some tuners are finding some incredible numbers now ..on totally stock new 5.0 Mustangs. Only time will tell when they hit the magazines. I cant say much...but its alot more than 15 to 18 now on these cars. Amazing what can be done with this new motor and its new computer

Back on topic.....the only benefit from an axle back will be a nice sound. Stock mine is super quiet as you know with how yours was too. I see no really killer gains from them.

I like the idea of maybe taking out the resonators and see how they sound. Good idea. I know I have heard people take the mufflers off and just run the resonators...too annoying to me.

Actually 15-18 rwhp is about the best you can expect on a tune only all else stock car.
Consider, even with a CAI intake you are getting 22-25 rwhp average. The intake itself allows more air in which allows more aggressive tune which means more power.

I think it's quite safe to say that the intake with the tune is worth 7-10 hp over the stock intake and tune only.

Tune only 15-18 rwhp
CAI and tune is 22-26 rwhp
CAI, tune and exhaust is 35-40 rwhp.

Don't let the marketing ploys of the advertised tune gains fool you (like it has rex) when they claim 40 rwhp gains. Those marketing ploys are going from 87 octane gas to 93 Octane gas.
We all know even on a STOCK ecu you get 10 hp going from 87 to 91 octane, probably more going from 87 to 93 Octane. Add an intake and tune to that and of course you gonna see 40+ rwhp.
But the fact of the matter is, 12-15 hp of that is because they went from 87 to 93 Octane.
The intake and tune on a car whose baseline started on 93 octane the REAL gains are 22-26 rwhp. This has been common knowledge for weeks now, people who don't really know and make comments like post #23 should really just stay mum.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Actually 15-18 rwhp is about the best you can expect on a tune only all else stock car.
Consider, even with a CAI intake you are getting 22-25 rwhp average. The intake itself allows more air in which allows more aggressive tune which means more power.

I think it's quite safe to say that the intake with the tune is worth 7-10 hp over the stock intake and tune only.

Tune only 15-18 rwhp

Don't let the marketing ploys of the advertised tune gains fool you (like it has rex) when they claim 40 rwhp gains. Those marketing ploys are going from 87 octane gas to 93 Octane gas.
We all know even on a STOCK ecu you get 10 hp going from 87 to 91 octane, probably more going from 87 to 93 Octane. Add an intake and tune to that and of course you gonna see 40+ rwhp.
But the fact of the matter is, 12-15 hp of that is because they went from 87 to 93 Octane.
The intake and tune on a car whose baseline started on 93 octane the REAL gains are 22-26 rwhp. This has been common knowledge for weeks now, people who don't really know and make comments like post #23 should really just stay mum.

can we run E85? if so im getting tuned for with an intake for that...

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
would an xpipe better compliment my hushpower axle back better? i know the hp difference but should i go for without cats or get one that keeps them. this is my daily street car. dont need it to be too crazy loud.

more so, if i keep my cats and run a shorty x pipe, how will and how much will it change the sound with the straight through mufflers

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
That sound good....fun times these early years of a new platform. Thats the fun of it.

And no..I didnt get my car on the dyno. I did all that with my Red 10.73 @ 128mph 1/4 mile 2007 automatic Mustang GT..."that I didnt know what I was talking about"(love that comment rexisme. I WAS WRONG! DIDNT MEAN ME....SORRY).(I had tons of videos,dynos,track times etc) This latest 5.0 Mustang, I am just going to enjoy and watch from afar.Let others pave the way this time. I was just trying to help. As others 2 months before the new 5.0 , thought I was crazy for saying they are going to be turning 12.70's at 112 stock...everyone thought I was crazy on some other boards. Then later when the magazines started hitting press...wow, I was right. So carry on my keyboard warriors. Now I am going back to not knowing what I am talking about .....ciao ...HotRodHarrys.com - Home Page

Tune only 15-18 rwhp

Last edited:

Driver72

Established Member
That sound good....fun times these early years of a new platform. Thats the fun of it.

And no..I didnt get my car on the dyno. I did all that with my Red 10.73 @ 128mph 1/4 mile 2007 automatic Mustang GT..."that I didnt know what I was talking about"(love that comment rexisme).(I had tons of videos,dynos,track times etc) This latest 5.0 Mustang, I am just going to enjoy and watch from afar.Let others pave the way this time. I was just trying to help. As others 2 months before the new 5.0 , thought I was crazy for saying they are going to be turning 12.70's at 112 stock...everyone thought I was crazy on some other boards. Then later when the magazines started hitting press...wow, I was right. So carry on my keyboard warriors. Now I am going back to not knowing what I am talking about .....ciao ...HotRodHarrys.com - Home Page

I'm not sure if you were referring to someone else, but I wasn't stating you didn't know what you were talking about, so I'm not sure why you quoted me when you made that response.
I also guessed similar to you.
I guessed
12.6 @ 113 mph for the stock GT 5.0 the day the 412 hp rating came out. It was quite an easy yet educated guess, as the Lexus IS-F and BMW M3 have similar power and weight and that's about what they run.

So far it seems 12.7-12.8 @ 110-112 is normal, but I think we'll see the 12.6's @ 113 as common on normal tracks once the whether cools. Of course you can knock off .2-.3 seconds and add 1-2 mph for the 3-4 abnormally fast tracks around the country (ATCO, Cecil, Sacramento, etc.)

Though, I personally have never owned a 10 second car, I've been racing for 22+ years (drag, street, etc)
I've also been pretty deep into the tuning world back when I got my first car (a Shelby Charger Turbo) when there was no ECU tuning to get more power. I started modding my first Mustang too back in 1989 when I got my 1988 Mustang LX 5.0 (then had another LX 5.0 and a GT).
So dynos, modding and racing aren't new to me either. Like you I always get a kick out of it when (more often than not "kids") come onto the internet and claim people with 5x experience they have don't know what they are talking about.

Now back on topic, or not. :dw:

Last edited:

rexisme

Established Member
I wasn't talking about you in anyway whatsoever Harry. I was talking about the guy who has no idea that a custom dyno tune is an extreme benefit on even a bone stock car vs the blanket tune which comes from the factory. Maybe I should of made myself more clear, I wasn't talking about extracting the most hp when I said benefit and yes it is best to get your tune once you have the parts you want all on to get the biggest benefit. But as far as longevity goes, a dialed in, specific tune, will greatly benefit a stock car. Just have to make sure who is doing it knows what they are doing.

Driver72

Established Member
I wasn't talking about you in anyway whatsoever Harry. I was talking about the guy who has no idea that a custom dyno tune is an extreme benefit on even a bone stock car vs the blanket tune which comes from the factory. Maybe I should of made myself more clear, I wasn't talking about extracting the most hp when I said benefit and yes it is best to get your tune once you have the parts you want all on to get the biggest benefit. But as far as longevity goes, a dialed in, specific tune, will greatly benefit a stock car. Just have to make sure who is doing it knows what they are doing.

Dude you keep making comments like I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I'm pretty confident I've owned and had many more cars of mine tuned and been around and actually helped world renowned tuners test on my cars on dynos than you have.
I've dynoed my cars probably 100 times and have been part of hundreds of other dyno pulls and tunes.
I am well aware of what a custom tune can do, but we weren't talking custom tunes. Anybody can push a car and it's tune beyond what is responsible for bragging rights, does not mean it's the good, safe, and professional thing to do.
Of the half dozen tuners who have released tunes so far on the 2011 5.0, octane to octane, they are getting about 22-26 rwhp gains on a CAI and tune. The tune ONLY part of that is about 15-18 rwhp. The rest is attributable to the additional air of the CAI that allows more aggressive tuning for the additional power.

So again, before making comments about others not knowing what they are talking about when it's clear you have no idea what you are talking about when making comments about me or anybody else, you may want to look in the mirror to find what you are calling others, then look up the definition of hypocrite, because it's fitting you to a tee.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
I wasn't talking about you in anyway whatsoever Harry. I was talking about the guy who has no idea that a custom dyno tune is an extreme benefit on even a bone stock car vs the blanket tune which comes from the factory. Maybe I should of made myself more clear,.

I take it back....Just saw my post quoted ina few areas and it was late when I posted. I thought wrong buddy....sorry :(

I'm not sure if you were referring to someone else, but I wasn't stating you didn't know what you were talking about, so I'm not sure why you quoted me when you made that response.

Now back on topic, or not. :dw:

i just saw my one post about power being quoted .......thought my knowledge and contacts were being questioned. its all good. Ive been racing since 1980 and have owned just about every type of car. This 5.0 is my 100th car and I am 46, married with 6 kids. Now back on topic ......just put some mufflers on that sound good ;-)

HotRodHarry

Established Member
which mufflers? .......

i have no idea, Ive listened to so many for this car and its a hard pick. zDont bother picking them for gains in horsepower! LOL! Always still amazes me how much these companies charge for axle backs. 2 mufflers with tips on them and a 2 small pieces of exhaust attached.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
i have no idea, Ive listened to so many for this car and its a hard pick. zDont bother picking them for gains in horsepower! LOL! Always still amazes me how much these companies charge for axle backs. 2 mufflers with tips on them and a 2 small pieces of exhaust attached.

+1 Harry, the prices are crazy!!

CobraGixxer

Established Member
I dynoed my car 2 weeks ago running 93 octane and it put down 402rwhp 370rwtq stock. I added the hush powers 1 week ago. Tomorrow I am gonna throw it back on the the same dyno still running 93 and see if any gain from just mufflers. Then we will tune the car and see what gains we get. So I will post up the results.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I dynoed my car 2 weeks ago running 93 octane and it put down 402rwhp 370rwtq stock. I added the hush powers 1 week ago. Tomorrow I am gonna throw it back on the the same dyno still running 93 and see if any gain from just mufflers. Then we will tune the car and see what gains we get. So I will post up the results.

sae or std, those are some HIGHHHHHH stock numbers

DIB5.0

Established Member
I thought Shawn's car of 390 was high. First one over 400 i have seen. Its either a huge difference in dyno's or engines. I seen one as low as 348 on 93.

Driver72

Established Member
sae or std, those are some HIGHHHHHH stock numbers

I thought Shawn's car of 390 was high. First one over 400 i have seen. Its either a huge difference in dyno's or engines. I seen one as low as 348 on 93.

He's got an inaccurate reading dyno.
The dyno shop clearly needs to calibrate the dyno correctly, or they just like customers to feel they have super special cars and hope that brings in more customers who want dyno glory for bragging rights.
You could take his car with it's supposed 402 rwhp and a guy who took his stock 5.0 to a different dyno that gave him 350 rwhp and do some rolling runs and guess what.....if they have the same gearing and same octane, they'll run pretty much side by side with each other.
50 rwhp difference on a SAE certified, balanced, computer spec'd and built motors is not going to happen.
50 rwhp would mean one 5.0 could pull multiple car lengths on another in a rolling 40-120 mph rolling run.

It ain't going to happen with equal cars and equal drivers guys.
It's purely bad calibrated dynos.

Same goes with Shawn's or anybody elses (like Inside Line, etc) whose dynos gave them 390 rwhp stock. It's just a high reading badly calibrated dyno, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread