Back From TX Relief efforts Lots of Pics.

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
That pic with the white house all by itself is a cool one. It's of the Bolivar Peninsula I think. I read the interview with the owners of that house. They said that they built it to withstand CAT 5 winds. Insanity.

+1......that's crazy how its the only one left

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
Yea that was pretty bad, me and my unit were down in Louisiana for the relief, when we rolled out is when that Ike hit. Ike hit pretty hard, Casket Detail FTL.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Yea that was pretty bad, me and my unit were down in Louisiana for the relief, when we rolled out is when that Ike hit. Ike hit pretty hard, Casket Detail FTL.

We staged In NOLA. We had one good night then headed down to TX. Topless girls riding Mech bulls FTW.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Looks like east Texas could use some of the $700 billion we are gonna hand out to Wall Street. What a shame. Look at the devastation, but we'd rather give money to failing banks and their rich execs than to the people down there.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Some are mine, Some are co-workers and some I don't know.

This little Guy was found with just his nose above water. He is now named Ike and is the USCG Sector/Station Houston Mascot.

Thanks for your service. :thumbsup: My father was in the CG for 23 years, retired Master Chief.

That pic with the white house all by itself is a cool one. It's of the Bolivar Peninsula I think. I read the interview with the owners of that house. They said that they built it to withstand CAT 5 winds. Insanity.

Yeah that house is in Gilchrist. 99.5% of the roughly 1000 buildings were destroyed in that town alone.

Type911 - Just wanted to say thanks for helping out with relief efforts over here. It is very much appreciated by all of us!!

Redline - Damn man 15 days with no power?? That sucks!! I think I went for only 8 but glad to see you're ok!!

I had no power for only 3 days, but I was at work during that whole week on the hurricane crew. My parents just got theirs back this week after 12 days without.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Wow, was this worse that Katrina as far as damage?

Hard to tell. It's projected to be the third most expensive hurricane, behind Katrina (80 billion) and Andrew (40 billion), but I have a feeling once you account for the damage to offshore drilling, it will easily surpass Katrina. It's so bad out there that helicopters can't refuel on the rigs closest to shore, so we have no idea how bad it is out there or how much is left.

BTW, we got power back Friday afternoon - 12 hours shy of two weeks after it went out.

Last edited:

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Interesting how you hear ZERO complaining about needing help.

Texas is a great state.

I first hand witnessed people who lost everything handing out water and soda to relief workers. Very hard to accept that kind of generosity. I saw so many people who lost so much still being so generous.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
These are all the best slideshows of ike that ive seen for anyone thats interested, my appt took some flooding and has intermittent electricity, still cant stock the fridge but about 80% of the time we have power, i live about 30 minutes from the bolivar peninsula, its where we used to go to party and now its gone, thousands of homes are gone, ike was pretty wicked and my thanks go out to all who were down here helping.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/multimedia/gallery/
http://beaumontenterprise.mycapture.com/mycapture/photos/Album.aspx?EventID=584021&CategoryID=30750
http://beaumontenterprise.mycapture.com/mycapture/photos/Album.aspx?EventID=561738&CategoryID=34376

ok i lied, apparently all the links i had up were already expired, apparently the ****ing news agencies dont care when it dont help there ratin gs anymore.

Last edited:

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I live in Houston,Tx.(Im logged in under my cousins user name LS1-Larry) We were with out power for almost 2 weeks.....I spent a few of those nights at my sisters apartment..because sleeping with the front door and windows open with no screens was to much to bare....not to mention the humidity and HUGE mosketos..my house and the houses of many of my family members were pretty lucky....just minor damage.........the pics you see in the thread were mostly in Galveston....approx 45 min.-1hour from my house. This was a real eye opener as my preporation for any storm will be far better than it was for Hurricane IKE.....we were blessed and spared.
There was a lot of damage that was unreal to see....down power lines....light poles snapped like twigs...roofs gone..HUGE Trees uprooted like nothing.WE were lucky that in most parts of the city there wasnt a lot of flooding...believe me that spaired a lot of peoples property and homes....as well as my own because we live 3 houses down from a byou....the same byou that over flowed in 2001 and put almost 2ft of water in our hose(before I lived here with my fiance....it was her and her mom) Im 28yrs old and the last time a Hurricane hit Houston I was 3yrs old. Thanks to all that helped localy and others that came in from other cities.....many people complained about the efforts to restore power and the time it took and has taken......but considering the damage I saw I think its AMAZING how fast we recieved power. Great job to the people doing what they do!
John

Last edited:

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Redline - Yep I'm still in Angleton. We didn't fare too bad down here, just a TON of tree limbs and a tree down.

Corona-Extra - Yeah, I'm around here but I don't get to drive her as much as I'd like. I work a lot of crazy hours so I'm always driving my 98 GT to and from work. I think I've seen you driving around a couple of times, but I'm always in the work car.

Users who are viewing this thread