BAMA tuning

JayGT500

I would just like to state this is a warning to anyone who might be considering choosing this intake+tune combo. I have a 2011 GT500 and a 123MM JLT cai + BAMA tune combo was given to me as a gift. Since the first moment I installed the intake and loaded the tune supplied by bama, the boost levels were never correct. It started at 6.5ish psi and would taper to 5 psi. I called them 5 or 6 times they blamed my clutch mostly, claiming their tune makes more power so much clutch is slipping. "Our tune doesn't affect boost levels." I guess they must be oblivious to the MAF transfer curve. After loading a strategy tune on the SCT device the boost magically jumped to 7.5 and held. I was asked to install the stock intake and stock tune by BAMA. Magically the boost went back up to 9.5 psi.... and the car felt faster. They finally decided to stop blaming my clutch and have me send them some data logs. I received a new tune and still the same problem. It would hit 7.5 psi and taper to 6 psi. I called again and was told I'd be contacted by 8 PM, I'm still waiting for that call. It is now Tuesday 8 pm, I called them last week on Wednesday I believe. Awful customer service, they all had attitudes on the phone. I've since gone back to stock and will most likely go with a different tuning company. I don't know how companies can do this to their customers and still be up and running. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give them a 0.

Thanks for reading.

NickSezz

Established Member
I would just like to state this is a warning to anyone who might be considering choosing this intake+tune combo. I have a 2011 GT500 and a 123MM JLT cai + BAMA tune combo was given to me as a gift. Since the first moment I installed the intake and loaded the tune supplied by bama, the boost levels were never correct. It started at 6.5ish psi and would taper to 5 psi. I called them 5 or 6 times they blamed my clutch mostly, claiming their tune makes more power so much clutch is slipping. "Our tune doesn't affect boost levels." I guess they must be oblivious to the MAF transfer curve. After loading a strategy tune on the SCT device the boost magically jumped to 7.5 and held. I was asked to install the stock intake and stock tune by BAMA. Magically the boost went back up to 9.5 psi.... and the car felt faster. They finally decided to stop blaming my clutch and have me send them some data logs. I received a new tune and still the same problem. It would hit 7.5 psi and taper to 6 psi. I called again and was told I'd be contacted by 8 PM, I'm still waiting for that call. It is now Tuesday 8 pm, I called them last week on Wednesday I believe. Awful customer service, they all had attitudes on the phone. I've since gone back to stock and will most likely go with a different tuning company. I don't know how companies can do this to their customers and still be up and running. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give them a 0.

Thanks for reading.

Jay,

You are local to us (JDM). Give us a call or bring the car by sometime. We will get you fixed up and the car running better than you can ever imagined.

1320 Junkie

Established Member

Thanks for reading.

Run.....and run fast.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Live and learn, atleast you already have a SCT tuner, its only 100 bucks to get a tune from VMP.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. Jay, it's vmptuning.com and on the left side of the page, click. "custom tuning".

We update your tune for free for mods that you buy from us.

Bj

mgmustang1

Established Member
You can also try jon lund at lundracing. I had him dyno tune my gt500 and 03 whippled cobra at evolution performance. Contact him not evolution.

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
I had a great experience with Brenspeed when owning my 2006 GT. However, I didnt have a blower or anything. I am sure that complicates tuning.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Another vote for VMP. Justin gets er done !

I been running it on my 11 since my first mods, and never had a issue. Service is great, turn around quick.

Lund have great tunes, it just some complain about getting them to answer back. But his tunes has said to be solid.

In truth if you have a good dyno tuner near you, that is way to go as well. Hard to beat a good dyno tune.

Choice is yours.

osceola1999

Established Member
I just had the same thing happen to me on my 12. I put the JLT big air intake on and I put the Bama tune in because i get them free and I lost 3lbs of boost. I called them and they said that I should have more boost not less and that they would get back to me but you guys are right. I have a dyno tune shop nearby and I am going to have them tune the car.

JayGT500

Decided to go with a VMP tune. All issues resolved, great customer service! Justin is great, I received my tune in seconds! Thanks for the suggestions guys. BAMA no more!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
How is VMP with Diablosport tunes?

Sorry, we don't support Diablosport. We're SCT.

As for dyno tunes vs library tunes based on hundreds, if not thousands of tunes with configurations like all our cars, experience and knowledge are king.

I'd never suggest that you not support a local business. If you can get your needs met there then that's awesome.

But the term "canned" certainly is markedly different when comparing calibrators. One size certainly doesn't fit all. But the true calibrator, has massive amounts of time and effort poured into development of the best combination for your car, with a foundation likely based on a LOT of cars just like yours.

Again, your should support local business, IF you get what you need. But we fix a lot of "local dyno tunes". Thus, one isn't always superior to the other.

BJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread