Barrow, Alaska

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Wow! Talk about the middle of nowhere. Suns out at 2am, no paved roads? That's no place for me and my car. I do want to see Alaska though, maybe by train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
the whole sun never going down and never coming up 4 months out of the year is enough to make you go crazy

oldmachguy

Established Member
Isn't this supposed to be the town in the movie "30 days of night?"

I had to go to Kodiak the first week of May some years ago. I didn't realize how far away Alaska is. The flight from Seattle to Anchorage was longer than the flight from Dallas to Seattle. As we taxied to the gate, I could see a couple of dozen Northwest Airlines and UPS 747's lined up on the ramp. Then the flight from Anchorage to Kodiak (and back) was on one of those 737 Combi's.

The sun didn't set until like 11:00 pm. There were "Tsunami Evacuation Route" signs everywhere. The local radio station reported how they had to move one of the school bus stops a few hundred yards because the bears (griz) kept getting too close to the kids, looking for food.

When I flew back into Anchorage, on like May 2nd, we landed in a snow storm.

Christ. I grew up in Houston. I can handle doing yard work, or swapping a transmission, in 105 degree weather. And if I want mountains, I will go to Colo. or Montana. Alaska is spectacularly beautiful, but it sure is cold, and sure is a long way away.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would love to visit Alaska, too. Visiting this town would be awesome, despite the rawness and cold.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got a bad taste in my mouth from alaska. My ex wife is from there.

What about the taste you left in her mouth?

I caught a glimpse of the Patriot's safe house; this is where they send the rookies to get accustomed to playing in Foxboro with no sleeves.
upload_2017-6-21_7-29-24.png

raustin0017

Established Member
Lived in Alaska for 7 years (1987-1994) and actually had to spend one night in Barrow when our C-130 had a problem. In 1987 a cheeseburger, fries and a coke cost me $17. Today a gallon of mile is $12...and the average monthly income is $4,500.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's crazy.. I was just there last year on a deployment with the Coast Guard... Super Isolated place.. Did a community relations thing.. Was very interesting.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's crazy.. I was just there last year on a deployment with the Coast Guard... Super Isolated place.. Did a community relations thing.. Was very interesting.

I imagine their family trees are very vertical.

Users who are viewing this thread