Basement waterproofing

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with basement waterproofing? I have cracking issues and high water table to boot. I am getting quotes and wow first quote was over 20k. Just looking to see what has worked for others in the past.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you install a french drain or curtain drain as some call it? It goes around the outside of the house below the foundation and diverts water from the walls before it has a chance to seep through the walls.
I am in South Ga and we have red clay here. The pressure that the water is pushing with from the backside of the wall prevents us from being able to simply apply a coating on the block from the inside.

jconnor3

Established Member
^^^ This. My parents had a french drain installed and it solved their water issues. It wasn't cheap, but it solved the issue. Like the guy above mentioned, they jackhammered out about a 6in section around the inside of the basement floor by the walls, laid in a special drain that all gradually slopped to the sump pump and then cemented over the drain and left a few access points for clean outs or inspection if ever needed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a water issue for years. Backyard near the house was always wet. Water in basement (maybe a 6' area) twice. Cracks developed in garage and basement floor. I ended up having all of my downspouts tie in to two underground drain pipes and inclined downward and eventually into my wooded area. Solved the problem. I think the total cost for the work was around $6K.

MFE

Established Member
Are the cracks more vertical, or more horizontal? How bad is the water inflow, is it seepage/trickling with some minor puddling, or is it worse than that? How's your landscaping, do you have it all sloping away from the house, especially the 5 feet closest to the house? What about your gutters and downspouts?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Had similar problems when I moved into my house.
Solution was to get bigger gutters (with gutter caps) and make sure I had enough downspouts. Also ran hoses from each downspout about 25 yards away from the foundation. Same for the sump pump discharge pipe.

I fixed all the leaking cracks in basement walls with a product called "LCR" which is Liquid Concrete Repair. It's basically the same injected sealant and epoxy that the professional foundation crack repair places use. It comes in a kit and it fairly easy to use.

I've had no water problems since. In fact, even during a hard rainstorm, the water coming into the sump is very minimal. I could probably piss harder than the small amount of water that dribbles into the sump.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
I am in South Ga and we have red clay here. The pressure that the water is pushing with from the backside of the wall prevents us from being able to simply apply a coating on the block from the inside.

Yes I have clay here too

^^^ This. My parents had a french drain installed and it solved their water issues. It wasn't cheap, but it solved the issue. Like the guy above mentioned, they jackhammered out about a 6in section around the inside of the basement floor by the walls, laid in a special drain that all gradually slopped to the sump pump and then cemented over the drain and left a few access points for clean outs or inspection if ever needed.

This is what the first company wanted to do along with dropping the sump another 2-3 feet to get the water before it rose to my basement floor. I have 5 companies coming for quotes, but I am contemplating doing this all my self.

I had a water issue for years. Backyard near the house was always wet. Water in basement (maybe a 6' area) twice. Cracks developed in garage and basement floor. I ended up having all of my downspouts tie in to two underground drain pipes and inclined downward and eventually into my wooded area. Solved the problem. I think the total cost for the work was around $6K.

I tried something like this myself, my house is a good two feet below the road level, so i put in a drain that goes to drywell(5 gallon bucket barried) along with an additional downspout. I have also extended the rest of my downspouts out past the house using 4" pvc.

Are the cracks more vertical, or more horizontal? How bad is the water inflow, is it seepage/trickling with some minor puddling, or is it worse than that? How's your landscaping, do you have it all sloping away from the house, especially the 5 feet closest to the house? What about your gutters and downspouts?

All of my cracks are vertical. When the house was built they used a form that looks like bricks on the interior and most of my cracks are in the fake joints. As far as the inflow, mostly seepage unless my sump pump fails and then it goes to standing water in the basement.:bash: The bad part is i have a deck that wraps half way around my house. They put large stones under it which would allow the water to pass thru easier correct?

Had similar problems when I moved into my house.
Solution was to get bigger gutters (with gutter caps) and make sure I had enough downspouts. Also ran hoses from each downspout about 25 yards away from the foundation. Same for the sump pump discharge pipe.

I fixed all the leaking cracks in basement walls with a product called "LCR" which is Liquid Concrete Repair. It's basically the same injected sealant and epoxy that the professional foundation crack repair places use. It comes in a kit and it fairly easy to use.

Are your drain pipes above or underground? How about the pump discharge? I have the ends of mine ending just under the deck which is 8 - 10 feet from the foundation.

You just drill the crack and inject that stuff into each one?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread