Battery took a crap, best to replace with

94slowbra1

Established Member
Like title says, can't hold a charge anymore and is approaching 8 years old. Is the best replacement just an oem? Dealer has them for $129. Or are there better options?
Non daily driver, sits for a month sometimes on a tender, makes north of 600, factory alt for now.
Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've had good luck with Duralast. I have them in 4 of my 5 vehicles. One of those being a boat that stays on a tender whenever it's not in the water. The Cobra gets put on a tender when I think about it. It'll sit for a couple weeks here and there.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Whatever autozone or oreillys has.

Car sits 3 months sometimes and fires right up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Get the OEM. My original battery lasted 13.5 years on a tender. I got my new Motorcraft battery for $99, on sale at a Ford Dealer, here in Philly.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Get the one that looks good under the hood with your color scheme! Nothing worse on these cars than to see a nice engine bay and a battery that sticks out like a sore thumb cosmetically. In a lot of cases, the bxt59 looks best (looks awesome on my car with the torch red/black scheme)

Then keep it on a maintenance charger every day, preferably one that has a desulfate function. There's probably not a huge difference in quality of any of the battery offerings....only 2-3 companies actually make them anyways. What keeps them going a long time is keeping them maintained, especially on a garage queen that sits a lot.

jony51999

Established Member
Like title says, can't hold a charge anymore and is approaching 8 years old. Is the best replacement just an oem? Dealer has them for $129. Or are there better options?
Non daily driver, sits for a month sometimes on a tender, makes north of 600, factory alt for now.
Thanks

I had the same issue start of this season. Home Depot was better priced than everyone else and carries good brands. I think mine is duralast and was under $80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Get the one that looks good under the hood with your color scheme! Nothing worse on these cars than to see a nice engine bay and a battery that sticks out like a sore thumb cosmetically.

I agree 100%. That's why I installed overflow and battery covers on my set up.
I like to run Motorcraft in my Cobra (Think there's an O'Rielly battery in there right now) and a red Optima in my 65.

Battery cover.JPG

94slowbra1

Established Member
So I went with a new motorcraft. $10 more than AutoZone duralast gold. Plus the pro rate them up to 100 months. I'll keep the CTEK on it more now to help maintain it. Thanks for all the opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread