BattleField 1 thread (all platforms)

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Has anyone picked up Battlefield 1(bf1)? I have had it about a week now and i am starting to really enjoy the game. I havent upgraded any classes/kits yet so my gun selection is still little to none. I browsed the bf1 official forum but it's just a bunch of cry babies where they dont discuss anything, they just complain.

I was playing strictly team death match, but since then i've moved to mostly conquest. 64 man stuff gets pretty wild. Plus it's easier to get point reviving a lot of people and capturing post.

What your favorite weapons in each class and explain why? Id like to know what's worth upgraded to so i dont waste my war bonds. The same goes for gadgets and grenades.

Battlefield_1_cover_art.jpg

2000gt4.6

Established Member
If you like CQ try the new operations. Pretty fun.

The beta sucked ass bad. The map was terrible. The rest of the maps are pretty good though, why they chose that map I have no idea. I haven't played it since beta.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I did play the beta...kinda on the fence, long time BF player. I figured I would wait for this to be in the $20 bin.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I was interested until I watched this...

[video]https://youtu.be/VmD3O3EIZ3Y[/video]

The fact you can build fictional experimental weapons to replicate all the guns found in modern/sci-fi shooters is a big turn off.

Defeats the whole point of it being WW1.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I was interested until I watched this...

[video]https://youtu.be/VmD3O3EIZ3Y[/video]

The fact you can build fictional experimental weapons to replicate all the guns found in modern/sci-fi shooters is a big turn off.

Defeats the whole point of it being WW1.

If it was true WW1 guns it would be so so boring. Unlike previous games though, there is a real difference between the guns and especially the gun classes. Smgs destroy up close, snipers at range etc.

It feels more WW2 ish to me which I really like.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If it was true WW1 guns it would be so so boring. Unlike previous games though, there is a real difference between the guns and especially the gun classes. Smgs destroy up close, snipers at range etc.

It feels more WW2 ish to me which I really like.

Meh.

The problem with WWI is the limited use of small unit tactics. It was the Civil War with machine guns.

It would be interesting to have developed the game around an AI system using bots that follow the player around, forming a larger squad. As the player dies he instantly flips to an AI Bot until all the bots are dead. Then the standard respawn happens.

This would allow a 64 player match to have say 300 actual fighting units. Vehicles would be manned by the bots so you have full weapons working etc.

Looking at the videos, the tanks appear to be way to fast as well. They averaged 3-4mph over open terrain.

I'd rather the game embrace real-world frustrations of the time, like communicating with tanks, artillery strikes etc instead of just using the modern templates with cute vintage interfaces (yelling and pointing). Infantry could not call for artillery support or air strikes. Those had to be pre orchestrated before the battle and you hoped for the best.

How cool would that be. 60 minute match, prior to start you pic barrage points and at what time. Oops forgot you set the church to get bombed at 35 minutes, and your own guys are in there? Friendly fire Bitches.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Meh.

The problem with WWI is the limited use of small unit tactics. It was the Civil War with machine guns.

It would be interesting to have developed the game around an AI system using bots that follow the player around, forming a larger squad. As the player dies he instantly flips to an AI Bot until all the bots are dead. Then the standard respawn happens.

This would allow a 64 player match to have say 300 actual fighting units. Vehicles would be manned by the bots so you have full weapons working etc.

Looking at the videos, the tanks appear to be way to fast as well. They averaged 3-4mph over open terrain.

I'd rather the game embrace real-world frustrations of the time, like communicating with tanks, artillery strikes etc instead of just using the modern templates with cute vintage interfaces (yelling and pointing). Infantry could not call for artillery support or air strikes. Those had to be pre orchestrated before the battle and you hoped for the best.

How cool would that be. 60 minute match, prior to start you pic barrage points and at what time. Oops forgot you set the church to get bombed at 35 minutes, and your own guys are in there? Friendly fire Bitches.

It sounds neat, but it wouldn't be battlefield. There are a couple trench warfare games out there on steam though that are fairly accurate.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It sounds neat, but it wouldn't be battlefield. There are a couple trench warfare games out there on steam though that are fairly accurate.

It would be an evolution. Developers refusing to change their templates is what gives us Halo 40, Call of Duty Space Wars and other recycled garbage.

COD peaked with MW2. That's what made BF so great, they brought new concepts like destructible structures, vehicles and the ability to climb on things.

BF4 was a huge let down as there was nothing special in it over BF3.

I'm sure those other Trench Warfare games would have the same short falls.

30 to 60 players is still a single squad on other side. WW1 battles involved tens of thousands of men going over the wire. It wasn't 5 guys sniping each other or running around with SMGs.

Battle of the Somme, British had 57,420 casualties on One Day!

Battle Field was the first to really try and increase the size of FPS battles. Time to find away to make them even larger. I don't think adding more players to a map is the answer. By adding AI/Bots you'll be able to keep it organized and give human players something to rack up body count on to feel like their meager existence matters.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
I am up to level 41 on the Xbone. I think the game was done beautifully. It's the most immersive first person shooter I have played to date. You get a real sense of urgency when your trying to cap an objective and mortar rounds are getting closer, or bombs are being dropped around you. I find myself going prone and playing tactically more so than in any other FPS.

The weapons feel true to period. They suck and take some skill to use in comparison to other FPS Bullet Hoses. Assault gets SMGs and Shotguns which really only work up close. Medics are probably the most versatile with single loading rifles. Reload speed, rate of fire, and small magazines being the negative. Support gets machine guns with a lot of recoil. Hard to run and gun. Almost need to be prone and setup properly to use them. I believe all the snipers are bolt action, headshot for a 1 shot kill.

My only complaint is the lack of progression and amount of guns. Each class probably only gets 3-4 guns but they come in different variants. 99% of them are unlocked at class level 3, with 1 weapon unlocked at class level 10. There are no scope or attachment unlocks. Pick a gun/variant and that is it. You quickly start playing just for weapon skins.

I still play the hell out of it, as it is fun and immersive. It's very much small squad tactical. You naturally find yourself taking point or watching the rear when your squad is moving through the streets.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Very good post. The only class i leveled up is was medic. So my weapon choice is slim. I think im level 11 in general. I do believe they will add weapons. But that will take time. If it's like bf3, the core weapons the game was released with were the best.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Love BF1 but still am annoyed that DICE wont limit the amount of snipers per team. Sitting in the two desert maps its just a snorefest of snipers. If is a 64 person server, limit the snipers to 5 per side. This way to get more carnage up close.

Other than that, the game is amazing. Def not WW1 to the T but has the elements which made it as deadly as it was. The gas grenades are great! Throw them and watch the points rack up. Throw on your gas mask and charge into the area and mow them down while they choke on it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh and does anyone else have the White Stripes - Seven Nation Army stuck in their head? It seems that every time i play the game i start humming it and cant stop. The wife has yelled at me a few times for it.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Love BF1 but still am annoyed that DICE wont limit the amount of snipers per team. Sitting in the two desert maps its just a snorefest of snipers. If is a 64 person server, limit the snipers to 5 per side. This way to get more carnage up close.

Other than that, the game is amazing. Def not WW1 to the T but has the elements which made it as deadly as it was. The gas grenades are great! Throw them and watch the points rack up. Throw on your gas mask and charge into the area and mow them down while they choke on it.

God I hate the gas, it screws team mates so badly. In friendly gas you can't heal, or spawn squad mates.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Meh.

Did you ever play brothers in arms. From you description, you would probably enjoy that franchise.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I'm starting to see the balance of all classes. I have been playing a lot of conquest and it's hard to hit someone far away with a sniper rifle. Like wise, it's easy to hide and evade a sniper at long range.

Im surprised on how many bans the fairfight software issues out. I guess hundreds love to hack.

Users who are viewing this thread