BattleField 1 thread (all platforms)

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Finally got an Xbox 1 a couple weeks ago and it came with Battlefield 1. I'll play a little bit of the operations now and again for fun. Haven't gotten into the other play modes yet but i'll have to try them out.

Anyone else enjoy the single player campaign? I though it was well done and fun to play.

helloWorld

Established Member
I gave it up. I couldnt get into it. I'm back playing CSS

Almost the same story here.

Purchased BF1 towards the end of December and have since put only a couple of hours into the game. There is something seriously wrong with the mouse movement, in my opinion. I put almost 600 hours into BF4 and I can't be bothered to put ten hours into this one.

I have gone back to my CS:GO addiction.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I gave it up. I couldnt get into it. I'm back playing CSS
Same. I played it a couple of times but didnt have that BF4 spark to it. Hell, I was playing Battlefront more than BF1. Just have my PS4 Pro collecting dust now until ME Andromeda.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Anyone else enjoy the single player campaign? I though it was well done and fun to play.

I think it's really well done also.

From what everyone else is saying looks like I'll need to get BF4 too when I'm done with 1.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
It is a good game. Dont get me wrong. I honestly cant thing of one bad thing about the game. But i have been playing CSS since 04. So until the servers i play on die out and there's no more, ill keep on. I've bought other great games like FA4, Mafia 3, gta 5, even built a nice tower to run them. 6-10 hours later, im playing css.

I really miss the days when i could play single player modes off and on for weeks or months.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
BF1 pretty much sucks.

I don't really like any of the maps and I just can't turn my brain off and accept it as a "WW1" game.

It's like trying to accept Fast 8 as a serious car movie or crime thriller.

BF1 just feels like the developers totally wanted to make a new WW2 game and management said "Hell No! Do something different". So they made a WWII game with some different uniforms and weapon skins.

I eagerly await Battlefield : Civil War, complete with man portable Gatling guns, toss-able dynamite, repeater rifles, Iron Clades, Armored Stage Coaches, Shotguns, throwing axes, Hot-Air Balloons, Molotov Cocktails and endless running-shooting urban combat...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2000gt4.6

Established Member
BF1 pretty much sucks.

I don't really like any of the maps and I just can't turn my brain off and accept it as a "WW1" game.

It's like trying to accept Fast 8 as a serious car movie or crime thriller.

BF1 just feels like the developers totally wanted to make a new WW2 game and management said "Hell No! Do something different". So they made a WWII game with some different uniforms and weapon skins.

I eagerly await Battlefield : Civil War, complete with man portable Gatling guns, toss-able dynamite, repeater rifles, Iron Clades, Armored Stage Coaches, Shotguns, throwing axes, Hot-Air Balloons, Molotov Cocktails and endless running-shooting urban combat...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

It would be so, so, so painfully boring if it were even close to accurate.

No BF game has ever been accurate. Most soliders didn't/don't carry sidearms. Most wouldn't have 3 or 7 RPGs. None would have a ACR or any of the other modern guns in BF4 vs a regular old M16.

No WW1 game that I can think of has done well. Realism would mean bolt action rifles and that's about it. Sitting in a trench 99 percent of the time doing nothing. It just can't be realistic.

There is the bolt action only mode if that floats your boat

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Would a WWI Combat Sim Suck? Sure.

I'm not trying to deconstruct the entire FPS genre and it's cliches and tropes. BF3 and BF4 honestly REPRESENT modern small unit combat. They have compelling stories about compelling near-future possible events. It's totally plausible that Iran would melt down and the Russians would send agents to apprehend misappropriated Russian Technology. It's plausible that the US would get sucked into a Chinese governmental collapse.

The maps all reflect real life modern combat scenarios. Open fields, mountains and beach heads. Tight European, Middle Eastern and Chinese Urban zones. Factories, refineries and military installations, etc. Would the average US Marine have a ACR? No, would a special forces operator, mercenary or contractor have one? Sure. Is an ACR substantially different from a SOCOM M1A or AR-based weapon system currently used that it completely breaks the "feel" of the game? No.

BF1 does not capture that spirit or feel. The story mode is also dreadfully boring, unoriginal and does not capture any feel or gravity to the actual conflict.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So here is how I'd have made the game -

Narrative.

Primary Narrative would be from the French perspective with a French char. This war was fought heavily and France and unlike WWII, France was a HUGE participate. Lets do something fresh. This story and Multiplayer maps would focus heavily on trench warfare.

Austro-Hungarian Narrative.
WWI does not need to be told in the played out "Good vs Evil / US-England vs Germany" narrative we've been beaten to death with from all the WWII Games. This was a war of evil governments slaughtering their own good men. This front would give you a great story about Austria vs Italy or Austria vs Russia. Lots of open field fighting, horse mounted lancers, open farms, mountains and even urban combat when Austria took back Lemberg. These three armies also had limited modern equipment and artillery.

I would save the Middle East / Ottoman conflicts for an expansion.

Combat -
Trenches. The French maps should full of endless muddy fields, trenches, craters, fox holes and bunkers. I'd have a digging system where players can dig tunnels and fox holes, and extensive underground fighting. I'd include night combat with flares and artillery strikes and warning bells. Artillery needs to play a bigger part in the game. Gas grenades are not a real thing. Gas was dispensed in either planted charges or by artillery. I'd make gas a longer lasting problem, as in real life it would quickly sink to lower levels and then remain there. So running along, on that gas strike is over? Jump into trench and it's still there - respawn.

Weapons -

The most common automatic rifle in WWI, the Chauchat, is not even freaking in the game?!? It was used by both the Americans and French! Additionally, all the "modern" weapons where notorious for begin unreliable, difficult to use and rare. Having played games where developers limit weapons per side, that can be very frustrating when someone is hogging a class. However, you could add in slow reload times, and a "reliability" factor to discourage the use of these weapons. Reliability factors can be improved with a leveling system. The more you use it, or use XP toward it, the more reliable and accurate you can make a weapon. So that Chauchat that jams every 5 shots requiring a slow reload, or even breaks a few times each map will eventually after a few weeks become a usable SAW.

Squads -

WWI was characterized by HUGE unit formations and combat. I'd boost the player numbers by using bots. Either free roaming or more favorably, Bots that follow the player and make up a squad. You could also get bots based on you class. So "Infantry" limited to bolt actions, could have 10 bots. Assault only 6, Medic 4, Machine Gun, 3 and Sniper 0. Once again, encouraging the usage of bolt-actions and increasing the number of bolt-action combatants.

When you die, you could just cycle-through you bots and when they are all dead - a longer re-spawn all the way back at your trenches - representing the flow of soldiers from the trenches. Players would still be able to link up with other players but these would then be called "companies" instead of squads. So 60 player map could in theory be 600 combatants.

Vehicles -

Once again, reliability was a huge issue for these slow-ponderous machines. They also got stuck a lot and could move only at a mans marching pace. I'd ad a timer/reliability gauge - it winds down as the vehicle is used. Once it hits zero, the vehicle is immobilized and the players have to get out to repair it. Leveling and XP will increase repair time and give you more gauge-time. I'd also give vehicles finite ammunition limits.

This eliminates the need for stupid "made up" sticky-bombs, rocket launchers and mines. Infantry can just wait for the vehicle to break down and then kill the crew, or get stuck in the mud, run out of ammo and kill the crew. Artillery and Motor fire as well.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Alot of your ideas sound cool and would make a neat game... but it wouldn't be a battlefield game.

No matter what they do it's gonna be a battlefield style game with a mix of infantry, tanks, and aircraft. And it's gonna have automatic weapons galore, unrealistic explosives etc.

I know where ur coming from but it just wouldn't be BF. And in those limits it's a pretty good game. I dunno if it will ever match bf3/4 in my book, but it is just getting started. We don't even have DLC yet. BF4 was an absolute mess at this point. And for now it's pretty good. Good netcode, no crashes to speak if, solid gameplay and nothing too Op. Plenty of interesting game modes and different ways to play.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Games have to appeal to the majority and be fun. That is all i can say.

Majority have no idea what fun is until you show it to them.

Stop making excuses for a total lack of innovation in one of the most over saturated genres.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I think it's really well done also.

From what everyone else is saying looks like I'll need to get BF4 too when I'm done with 1.

I loved the campaign mode too. I haven't finished it yet but so far so good. I haven't tried multiplayer yet. I got the game 3 months ago and just got wrapped up with a few other things and haven't been play it much. For my gaming time I've been playing Men of War Assault Squad 2. A great RTS game for the computer.

It is a good game. Dont get me wrong. I honestly cant thing of one bad thing about the game. But i have been playing CSS since 04. So until the servers i play on die out and there's no more, ill keep on. I've bought other great games like FA4, Mafia 3, gta 5, even built a nice tower to run them. 6-10 hours later, im playing css.

I really miss the days when i could play single player modes off and on for weeks or months.

I actually still play Enemy Territory which I believe came out in 2003. I never would have guessed I would still be playing it in 2017.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
It's not.

How have the BF games changed in the last 10 years?

Same classes, same weapons, same vehicles, same style maps, same experience system, same limitations and equipment load out.

If you think it's all the same...You haven't played much battlefield.

This game plays completely different than BF4. And as much as two modern day shooters with infantry and vehicle combat can differ while still being the same title BF4 was much changed from BF3.

The tanks/truck gameplay is far different than BF4. The air combat is also vastly changed. The infantry combat is nothing like BF4, nor are the classes other than from a cursory glance. Very few of the gadgets came over, the weapon handling is world's apart.

It's not like they are going to make it a MMO, it's still a battlefield shooter. Change the fundamentals of the game (like adding bots in multiplayer) changes a winning formula.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I'm laughing at this whole Chauchat being unreliable, that is not the case as the original 8X50 Lebel types ran good. Only when the US entered the war and the French rechambered them to fire the standard US Military 30-06 round did it then began to not cycle or function. The reason being the French didn't make the chamber big enough so as to cause the brass casing to expand. lack of this expansion caused the case to stick and then have the rim then be ripped and so not having anything for the extractor to grab and so it was stuck there until pried out with either a knife or a flat bladed tool of some kind.

It is because of this rechambered ShoSho as us that fight in the French order of battle during the Great War call the light machine rifle, that it gets it less than earned reputation for reliability.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm well aware of the rechambering issues. Even before the 30-06 it was a heavy inaccurate jamomatic. The magazine was notorious for clogging up with mud and was a pain in the ass to do mag changes on.

The ergonomics ensure the rifle could only be effectively fired while in a stationary deployed position.

Now granted, it was the first mass produced, mass deployed SAW/LMG.

The reliability/usability issues with these early automatic weapons should have absolutely been used in the game. Like I said, the game plays out like a modern BF1942.

Might as well be using M1s, MP40s, Sten Guns, MG42s and Gewehr 43s fighting it out in Caan, Normandy and El Alamein.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'm laughing at this whole Chauchat being unreliable, that is not the case as the original 8X50 Lebel types ran good. Only when the US entered the war and the French rechambered them to fire the standard US Military 30-06 round did it then began to not cycle or function. The reason being the French didn't make the chamber big enough so as to cause the brass casing to expand. lack of this expansion caused the case to stick and then have the rim then be ripped and so not having anything for the extractor to grab and so it was stuck there until pried out with either a knife or a flat bladed tool of some kind.

It is because of this rechambered ShoSho as us that fight in the French order of battle during the Great War call the light machine rifle, that it gets it less than earned reputation for reliability.

That POS was unreliable well before being rechambered. It had huge open holes in the side of a magazine that was flimsy. Great idea in muddy trenches....

Users who are viewing this thread