Battlefield 4 on PC My Rig Good Enough?

TorchMach

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Question for all you computer experts! I've been playing BF4 on my PC for sometime now and it's always lagged a bit. I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to run with no lag?

Here are my specs on my rig

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM 24.0 GB
64 - bit Operating System
GeForce GTX 650 video card
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
Driver Version 337.88

I did a speed test this is what I got
PING: 17ms
Download Speed: 39.96 Mpbs
Upload Speed: 4.24Mpbs

Googled for a few solutions but no solid info. Any ideas? Should I turn down the resolution?

Thanks for any direction.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Only "weak" point I'd the graphics card and it isn't that bad. Over clock the card and I would think you should see decent frames.

If your main board supports it you could also buy another identical card, two 650s on a I7 should be a soild rig.

TorchMach

Established Member
Only "weak" point I'd the graphics card and it isn't that bad. Over clock the card and I would think you should see decent frames.

If your main board supports it you could also buy another identical card, two 650s on a I7 should be a soild rig.

What do you mean by "over clock the card"? I build this rig but still learning lol

I'm going to see if it supports another card to max it out. Is my internet connection good enough for BF4?

Thanks for the help.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
What do you mean by "over clock the card"? I build this rig but still learning lol

I'm going to see if it supports another card to max it out. Is my internet connection good enough for BF4?

Thanks for the help.

Don't over clock a video card...ever. Just try running lower settings then keep bumping them up until you find out what you can run smoothly.

Looking at those specs though, it should run perfectly fine at max settings.

TorchMach

Established Member
Don't over clock a video card...ever. Just try running lower settings then keep bumping them up until you find out what you can run smoothly.

Ok, but what does over clocking meen?

I just turned them down a bit and runs good so far good idea. Yes, that's what I thought I tried to do all my homework on this before I built it so thought I did something wrong..

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
You can use MSI Afterburner to tweak (overclock) the card. Use the slider to increase the core clock and memory clock! Using two 650's in SLI mode will help increase the FPS! What brand is the GPU?

Equalbracket

Established Member
A lot or players use that card, you'll be fine. Just turn down the settings, looks cleaner that way IMO anyway. You new to bf? I've been going at it hard since my wreck. A little too much lol. But damn is that game a blast, the little bird and attack jet are the shit, learn to fly those and you'll wreck.

I can give you help/advice if you want.

But, start with rpg/smaw/sraw. Don't use stingers. Ak5c. Don't use any dmrs, and don't be a recon.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member

Telling someone to never over clock a graphics card is like telling a 03 cobra owner to never do a pulley swap....

His card literally has another version (650ti) which only difference is a better fan and higher settings. Most graphics cards come with a program on the install disk to over clock. Bumping up the speed slowly and watching temps is a great way to increase performance. Assuming your case has good cooling and the card is a good brand it should be easy to approach/surpass a 650ti with a 650.

Op: the first thing you should do is download a program called fraps. Starting this program while running bf4 will put a display in the corner of the screen showing you how many frames per second your getting. You want it to stay above at least 30 FPS at all times, 60+ would be even better. Try checking it with a lot of action going on (firefights etc) and see if it drops.

Before turning down the resolution, assuming your fps isn't good enough, I would start playing with the individual settings under video. Instead of ultra try medium on all/most and see what happens. If your FPS goes way up change one setting at a time to a higher one and see what causes the frames to drop again. IMO 60 fps@ medium would be a lot better than 20 @ ultra.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Ok, but what does over clocking meen?

I just turned them down a bit and runs good so far good idea. Yes, that's what I thought I tried to do all my homework on this before I built it so thought I did something wrong..

Yeah just run at the settings your card can handle. If you decide to listen to these guys about overclocking your card, start putting money aside to purchase a new one in about 6 months. It is never a good idea to overclock a video card, especially a lower end one like yours.

If you want to improve your performance, you have 2 options. First, I would purchase a second gtx 650 and run SLI. The second option is to scrap that card and buy a little bit higher end one. You can pick one up for pretty cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSQUFDHMNPOB-_-14-121-855-_-Product

Edit: Actually that 650 cannot run SLI from what I've read. So your only option here is to find a video card with at least 2gb of vram. If you want to run the game on 1080 settings, you're going to need 2gb of vram anyways. So even if you decided to overclock your card, it's still 1gb of vram and won't run the game smooth.

Good luck.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Yeah just run at the settings your card can handle. If you decide to listen to these guys about overclocking your card, start putting money aside to purchase a new one in about 6 months. It is never a good idea to overclock a video card, especially a lower end one like yours.

If you want to improve your performance, you have 2 options. First, I would purchase a second gtx 650 and run SLI. The second option is to scrap that card and buy a little bit higher end one. You can pick one up for pretty cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSQUFDHMNPOB-_-14-121-855-_-Product

Completely wrong about overclocking. If you get stupid and go nuts you can over temp the card. If your smart and take small steps there is literally zero danger.

As I said, a lot of card manufacturers include software to oc the card on the install disk. And as stated they even do it themselves with the TI versions.

I picked up 10-15 frames on bf3 with my 750 with just a few tweaks. Cards been in my PC for quite some time now with zero issues. Its nothing you can't learn by watching a few YouTube videos and going slowly.

Edit: I don't even have my card close to maxed out either. Most of the time I never see over 70 % fan speed, and that's with my modified fan curve which ramps up a lot faster than stock (makes the PC more noisy but cools better).

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Completely wrong about overclocking. If you get stupid and go nuts you can over temp the card. If your smart and take small steps there is literally zero danger.

As I said, a lot of card manufacturers include software to oc the card on the install disk. And as stated they even do it themselves with the TI versions.

I picked up 10-15 frames on bf3 with my 750 with just a few tweaks. Cards been in my PC for quite some time now with zero issues. Its nothing you can't learn by watching a few YouTube videos and going slowly.

Yeah, how long do you think that tiny little fan will keep that overclocked card safe? Not a good idea at all. He obviously has no experiance with it so why would you go tell him to play with fire like that? Plus, he needs a 2gb card anyways so it's a moot point.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Yeah, how long do you think that tiny little fan will keep that overclocked card safe? Not a good idea at all. He obviously has no experiance with it so why would you go tell him to play with fire like that? Plus, he needs a 2gb card anyways so it's a moot point.

I guess with me doing it to every card I have ever had and never having an issue is why I think it works lol. Your statements tell me you haven't tried it or know what your talking about.

Its literally built into the card to be able to oc it. The software that comes with the card (or aftermarket software) us super easy to use and even has one click settings where you just tell it to try to hit XXX speed and it will do so without exceeding XXX temp.

Most cards stock are setup so the fan speed rarely/ever rises because they want to keep the card/PC super quiet. This is to keep non power users happy about their Walmart HP computer, but not too good for gamers

What your saying is like saying "how do you expect that tiny intercooler on your cobra to keep the charge cool at higher than stock boost levels". Overhead is built in, and if you don't try for a 50 psi pulley it will handle the extra load.

I wouldn't just go screwing with it without a video etc but YouTube is only a click away. BTW, he doesn't have a "low end card" either just because he has a 650. Gonna matter more what brand it is than the geforce number to tell you if its got a beefy fan or a smaller one. Either way so long as your not seeing 100% fan speed or high temps your fine.

BTW... your saying he doesn't know what he's doing so he shouldn't oc, but recommending a dual card sli setup? Guess which ones harder to setup and use.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I guess with me doing it to every card I have ever had and never having an issue is why I think it works lol. Your statements tell me you haven't tried it or know what your talking about.

Its literally built into the card to be able to oc it. The software that comes with the card (or aftermarket software) us super easy to use and even has one click settings where you just tell it to try to hit XXX speed and it will do so without exceeding XXX temp.

Most cards stock are setup so the fan speed rarely/ever rises because they want to keep the card/PC super quiet. This is to keep non power users happy about their Walmart HP computer, but not too good for gamers

What your saying is like saying "how do you expect that tiny intercooler on your cobra to keep the charge cool at higher than stock boost levels". Overhead is built in, and if you don't try for a 50 psi pulley it will handle the extra load.

I wouldn't just go screwing with it without a video etc but YouTube is only a click away. BTW, he doesn't have a "low end card" either just because he has a 650. Gonna matter more what brand it is than the geforce number to tell you if its got a beefy fan or a smaller one. Either way so long as your not seeing 100% fan speed or high temps your fine.

BTW... your saying he doesn't know what he's doing so he shouldn't oc, but recommending a dual card sli setup? Guess which ones harder to setup and use.

Are you even reading what I am saying? It's a moot point, he needs a 2gb card.

You can tell me story after story that overclocking a video card is safe, it won't change my opinion on the matter. And telling an inexperianced person to start playing with overclocking on a low end card is just asking for problems.

Look, the OP can do what he wants to do but I am just giving him the right advice to get him the performance he wants and overclocking won't do anything to fix the situation.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Are you even reading what I am saying? It's a moot point, he needs a 2gb card.

You can tell me story after story that overclocking a video card is safe, it won't change my opinion on the matter. And telling an inexperianced person to start playing with overclocking on a low end card is just asking for problems.

Look, the OP can do what he wants to do but I am just giving him the right advice to get him the performance he wants and overclocking won't do anything to fix the situation.

Overclocking won't do anything except increase his performance completely for free, with minimal effort and a little time spent on research.

Its not going to give him 2000 fps at 4k resolution but its entirely possible he could pick up 5-15 fps. Depending on his frames now (download fraps op) it might be enough to get him by. Its certainly better than flushing money down the drain on a sli setup that's much harder to setup and tweak, and may or may not scale well with the games he plays now and in the future.

Your opinion is just that, and its the opposite one if virtually everyone in the gaming community. My card literally pulls 10-15 fps higher, at lower temps, than it did stock (due to the stupidly slow stock fan settings) It was insanely easy and took about 10 minutes to setup.

Edit: 5 minutes on toms hardware shows plenty of people running 30-40 fps at 1080 and medium settings eith s 650. Takes a little tweaking and time but its do able.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Overclocking won't do anything except increase his performance completely for free, with minimal effort and a little time spent on research.

Its not going to give him 2000 fps at 4k resolution but its entirely possible he could pick up 5-15 fps. Depending on his frames now (download fraps op) it might be enough to get him by. Its certainly better than flushing money down the drain on a sli setup that's much harder to setup and tweak, and may or may not scale well with the games he plays now and in the future.

Your opinion is just that, and its the opposite one if virtually everyone in the gaming community. My card literally pulls 10-15 fps higher, at lower temps, than it did stock (due to the stupidly slow stock fan settings) It was insanely easy and took about 10 minutes to setup.

Edit: 5 minutes on toms hardware shows plenty of people running 30-40 fps at 1080 and medium settings eith s 650. Takes a little tweaking and time but its do able.

Haha you are not reading what I am saying. His card, overclocked or not, will not give him the performance he is looking for. Plus, I doubt he wants 30-40 fps, that's terrible.

Did you also read the part where I said he couldn't run SLI even if he wanted to with his card? How about the part where even if he could run SLI, it wouldn't matter because he still needs a 2gb card regardless.

Good luck OP, hopefully you take the right advice here :coolman:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Haha you are not reading what I am saying. His card, overclocked or not, will not give him the performance he is looking for. Plus, I doubt he wants 30-40 fps, that's terrible.

Did you also read the part where I said he couldn't run SLI even if he wanted to with his card? How about the part where even if he could run SLI, it wouldn't matter because he still needs a 2gb card regardless.

Good luck OP, hopefully you take the right advice here :coolman:

So to sum it up, sli is easier for a noob than oc, oc will always fry your graphics card, a 650 gtx cant run 1080p games, and 40 fps is a slide show right?

Lol, I'm done here. Literally the only thing you have right is that you can't sli a 650... and sli sucks anyway.

Op can either spend more money, or try a gradual oc for free to see if it gets him enough performance to get the game "smooth". In sure its a terrible idea to OC since its going to instantly fry his already worthless graphics card right? Lol.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
So to sum it up, sli is easier for a noob than oc, oc will always fry your graphics card, a 650 gtx cant run 1080p games, and 40 fps is a slide show right?

Lol, I'm done here. Literally the only thing you have right is that you can't sli a 650... and sli sucks anyway.

Op can either spend more money, or try a gradual oc for free to see if it gets him enough performance to get the game "smooth". In sure its a terrible idea to OC since its going to instantly fry his already worthless graphics card right? Lol.

Someone's mad.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but you guys both arguing moot points ^, sli or oc?
How about just ditching the 650 and going with a 770 or even 780?

Op, sell the 650 while its still worth something and get a high end card. You have a fine cpu and a ton of memory, why sell yourself short on a video card? Only thing I didnt see is ssd, youll need that too!

Users who are viewing this thread