Battlefield 4 on PC My Rig Good Enough?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
You guys sure have some fancy gaming rigs. My 2-3 year old Dell xps tower plays bf4 just fine. I think what helps the experience if my cheap Logitech surround sound head phones. I fine they really upgraded the sound from bf3 to bf4. The ambient stuff is awesome.

torchmach, i dont do the friends thing on bf4 yet. I'm still trying my hardest to get away from bf3. I cant help but go back to it no matter what. I just bought the premium thing for bf4 so hopefully that will keep me playing bf4. I only got 3-4 hours in bf4 total so far.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I run BF4 with a 580GTX that has been overclocked and watercooled. Runs great and doesnt skip a beat. Will probably build another gaming rig at the end of this year and go with an SLI setup.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
uloLN3g.jpg

I5QVUiD.jpg

mavisky

Established Member
I run BF4 with a 580GTX that has been overclocked and watercooled. Runs great and doesnt skip a beat. Will probably build another gaming rig at the end of this year and go with an SLI setup.

580 will blow a 650 clear out of the water and into the next state.

OP -

I've not jumped on the BF4 bandwagon yet and at this rate doubt I will. The "50" series with Nvidia is sort of their budget line, you really need to get into the 60's and 70's to get any real performance. I went from two watercooled 560ti's to a single watercooled 670 and saw a noticeable frame rate increase while reducing temps in my loop.

I've seen some great pricing on the 760's at at this point (runs within 1fps or so typically of my 670) and I think one of those would be a good upgrade as you're going to gain VRAM as well as new processor architecture and a massive core clock increase.

IMG_1435_zpsf1f4c980.gif

IMG_1439_zps2f7b44cd.gif

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I picked up my 760 for like $250 or something last year. They dropped in price when the 780's price was dropped.

FYI - I've run servers for FPS games since 2001. We've had top 10 world wide servers for the entire Battlefield series. Never broke into the top 100 with BF4 though...too many Blaze problems, so I cancelled it a few months back.

"The Meatlocker" :)

Last edited:

mavisky

Established Member
Yea the 760's are getting so cheap that I'd considered adding a second 670 to my current setup, but I may just go to a set of twin 770's instead. Damned used 670's cost about the same.

13BremboGT

Established Member
oh shesus...that's a $650+ video card...lol

For this exact reason, I never buy anything over a x60 series NVidia card. I don't do AMD, just don't care for their driver support and they run hot. A 760 will play BF4 just fine with most of the fancy settings turned on and they can be had for around $250. If later games come out and you need a performance improvement, you can always just drop in another 760 and SLI it....or spend the same amount of money and get the latest generation x60 series card. (800 series will be out next year). The x60 series cards are always ample for playing current games. With the rate that new generations of cards come out, I never expect a video card to last me more than about 3 years anyway....which is why I refuse to drop anything over $250-$300 on one. I actually use that same price point for all of my components. Anything over a $300 CPU is pretty much a waste of time as well, unless you have a very specific need for something that can really crunch numbers faster. For gaming.....no need. In reality, even $300 video cards and CPUs are overkill for most people.

mavisky

Established Member
I picked up my 670 for $300 and run an FX-8350 overclocked to 4.7ghz ($189 new) on an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard ($139 new). Runs any year or two old game at max settings, and newer games are still in the High setting region.

Users who are viewing this thread