Battlefield 4 on PC My Rig Good Enough?

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but you guys both arguing moot points ^, sli or oc?
How about just ditching the 650 and going with a 770 or even 780?

Op, sell the 650 while its still worth something and get a high end card. You have a fine cpu and a ton of memory, why sell yourself short on a video card? Only thing I didnt see is ssd, youll need that too!

Exactly my advice. The guy above seems to think I advised SLI, sadly he cannot read.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
OC your card. It's free and safe if you take time to learn. Just like anything else in life. If that doesn't get the desired result, then maybe a card upgrade is in store.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or harmful if you overclock. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

Exactly my advice. The guy above seems to think I advised SLI, sadly he cannot read.

You did recommend SLI though? You redacted that statement once you figured out his card could not SLI, but that doesn't change the fact that had the OP had a card that could SLI, you would have recommended SLI before you recommended overclocking. The point being made here is that it doesn't make sense to buy a second video card when there are free and safe ways to increase performance.

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
OC your card. It's free and safe if you take time to learn. Just like anything else in life. If that doesn't get the desired result, then maybe a card upgrade is in store.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or harmful if you overclock. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

You did recommend SLI though? You redacted that statement once you figured out his card could not SLI, but that doesn't change the fact that had the OP had a card that could SLI, you would have recommended SLI before you recommended overclocking. The point being made here is that it doesn't make sense to buy a second video card when there are free and safe ways to increase performance.

:bash:

helloWorld

Established Member
OP, either get another identical GPU and SLI it, or just get a better GPU.

Just in case you want to know what works to get a pretty consistent 50 to 60 FPS when all settings are set to Ultra at 2540x1440 resolution with no additional resolution scaling, here are my specs:

i7 2600K @ 5.2 GHz (custom watercooled)
Single GTX670 Gigabyte Windforce OC Edition @ 1302 Mhz Core / 1521 MHz Memory
8 GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB) @ 8-8-8-24
Windows 8.1 x64

I also run a custom SMAA injector which allows me to disable the in-game MSAA, but complement the post-process AA, which allows me to have anti-aliasing but with a non-intensive form of it.

Even though I recommended SLI, I am somewhat prejudiced against it. Since I have not yet dabbled into GPU watercooling, I have noticed that the top video card in the SLI configuration will always run hotter, because its fans are using the hot air developed from the GPU below it. I have actually had one GPU prematurely die like that.

Last edited:

13BremboGT

Established Member
Your graphics card is definitely the limiting factor in your system for BF4. You WILL be able to make the game playable with that graphics card, you'll just have to turn off some of the bells and whistles in the graphics settings. Your resolution should be fine. If you have a way to monitor your FPS in game (like FRAPS), see what you are getting. I see that you have a 60Hz monitor. I doubt you will be able to maintain 60 FPS or more with that card, but if you do, enable VSYNC. If you are always under 60 FPS, disable VSYNC. Your most cost effective upgrade would be another identical card in SLI for sure (assuming you have a descent power supply and your MB will support it). If not, stepping up to a 760 or more would be a better deal. Some people are cool with OC'ing video cards, I generally stay away from it. There ARE downsides to it....mainly extra heat so your GPU fan will be cranking all the time. If the GPU fan can keep the temps down around normal, yes, it is "safe" to do so. On that note, on average, you'll only get about a 10% OC before temps start rising drastically. So adding 10% to 30FPS still only gets you 33FPS....keep that in mind.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a GTX 760 - runs BF4 decent on med/high settings. I get 90FPS - and down to 60 or so during a lot of "destruction"

If you're going to play BF4 - dont bother with the SLI (dual vid cards) - it doesnt support it....or at least didnt a few months ago.

TorchMach

Established Member
A lot or players use that card, you'll be fine. Just turn down the settings, looks cleaner that way IMO anyway. You new to bf? I've been going at it hard since my wreck. A little too much lol. But damn is that game a blast, the little bird and attack jet are the shit, learn to fly those and you'll wreck.

I can give you help/advice if you want.

But, start with rpg/smaw/sraw. Don't use stingers. Ak5c. Don't use any dmrs, and don't be a recon.

On PC I am new. I use to play BF3 on PS3. This is much better. My screen name is chingoneria323 (I created a LONG time ago for the PS3)lol

Add me, I don't have friends to play with online..

TorchMach

Established Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but you guys both arguing moot points ^, sli or oc?
How about just ditching the 650 and going with a 770 or even 780?

Op, sell the 650 while its still worth something and get a high end card. You have a fine cpu and a ton of memory, why sell yourself short on a video card? Only thing I didnt see is ssd, youll need that too!

Essentially,

buy a new video card.

I am leaning towards upgrading the card after reading through the thread. OC the card is doable as I went crazy with cooling mods on the rig but rather take full advantage of everything and just get a new card and be done with it.

What would be the best recommendation to cover me for the best graphics of this game and maybe some future games?

Thank you for all the input guys, I appreciate the different scenarios.

helloWorld

Established Member
I might be flamed for this, but if you want to future proof for at least two years, in my opinion, just buy a GTX 780TI and call it done.

helloWorld

Established Member
I guess I should say, I do not know how soon DirectX 12 is on the horizon, so if that is close, I don't know if you want to really spend 700 bucks on a DirectX 11.1 only card.

But, then again, DirectX 12 is probably a couple of years out.

Anyways, I will add you, my screen name is "22_yo_v1rgin." Yes, I am 22 years old, and a virgin.

TorchMach

Established Member
Here's a pic of my set up.
20140721_170315.jpg

TorchMach

Established Member
I guess I should say, I do not know how soon DirectX 12 is on the horizon, so if that is close, I don't know if you want to really spend 700 bucks on a DirectX 11.1 only card.

But, then again, DirectX 12 is probably a couple of years out.

Anyways, I will add you, my screen name is "22_yo_v1rgin." Yes, I am 22 years old, and a virgin.

Yeah I wasn't planning on spending that much on a card but will if it will secure me for a few years..

Hahaha really? why? go out man, there has to be some strip clubs in your neighborhood or massage parlors...

helloWorld

Established Member
I am hugely biased towards nVidia, but I can not deny you the fact the the R9 290X is also an excellent bang for your buck GPU. You should check that out.

Here is my PC:

build.jpg

Here is how I play:

screens.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread