Before and after American racing 1 7/8 headers

ExTurbo

Established Member
Edit: Added a video & Graph

So i recently had my car dynoed, only power mods were the Air raid CAI and tune (i dunno if you count GT500 axlebacks as a power mod). It dynoed 375/356 on an AWD mustang dyno, then (within 24 hours) the shop installed American Racing 1 7/8th headers with a catless X pipe, and ran it again. Final numbers were 403/375, all i can say is wow what a difference. i went with the GT500 axlebacks because i knew id be doing headers down the road, and I'm glad i did. its still fairly tame under 3000 rpm, and just screams above that. Couldn't be happier, looking under the car they don't seem to be any lower than the factory exhaust was. I haven't noticed a decrease in tq anywhere, just more power throughout.

I was going to wait until i have the graphs to post this but i figure at least i could put the numbers out there and add the sheet later. The headers weren't cheap, but IMO worth every penny, the way it screams makes me all tingly inside. I don't think i have turned on the radio since i picked the car up. The best part was it was all done while i was away in Disney World, so i got off a plane, got dropped off at the shop, and got to enjoy my new headers...needless to say knowing it was done and ready i couldn't wait to get home to hear it in person...lol. I have a video on facebook but im not sure how to get it on here.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10103206073305279" data-width="550"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10103206073305279">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/PowerhausPerformance">Powerhaus Performance</a>.</div></div>

Alexfinal.png

Last edited:

20lbbooster

Established Member
I'm curious to know how much of that power increase was from the catless X pipe alone. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to do long tubes.

Either way I bet the car feels great!

ExTurbo

Established Member
I'm curious to know how much of that power increase was from the catless X pipe alone. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to do long tubes.

Either way I bet the car feels great!

Hard to say really, i dunno how many people have done just a catless X then redynoed with headers and a catless X to compare directly. There have been many discussions on this and i wont want this to turn into another one...lol Im just simply posting my results :) Im very happy and glad i went with headers, the sound alone is worth the price of admission IMO, no way a catless X alone can come close to sounding this good. It picked up 29whp, if 9 of it was header and 20 was getting rid of the cats im perfectly happy with that.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Thanks im very happy with the way it sounds right now, i prefer sound quality over volume any day, its still my DD so i want to try and keep it civil.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Love ARH with O/R X. Best quality and sound IMO. Your car sounds great. I'll be going back to ARH on the Boss next spring.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I agree with the comment regarding the cats above. I wonder what someone like me would gain from longtubes and and an off-road H -vs- my stock exhaust and cat deletes.

Congrats on the nice gain, OP!

ExTurbo

Established Member
Roshan is a good friend of mine from way back, i always bring my cars to him. I had an SCT tuner from another shop i believe he had them send over an updated file for the headers and just uploaded that.

nordy racer

Established Member
I went from 388 to 413rwhp with just long tubes from JBA. I had cat less h pipe before and after.

Congrats on the nice numbers.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I went from 388 to 413rwhp with just long tubes from JBA. I had cat less h pipe before and after.

Congrats on the nice numbers.

25 horse is awesome, there's a lot of hate on headers for these cars because of the cost, and complexity of installation, but from what ive seen they are probably one of the "must do" mods for these cars. I dont blame someone on a budget for doing a catless H or X, but when you gain hp and tq across the board its more than just making a few hp over peak. Im very happy with the end product and just hope i can hold out for a while for the next round. My goal is to start putting down the power, so a set of wheels for the track and a driveshaft are probably next on my list. eventually i plan on adding a CJ setup and trying for 10's N/A. I was hoping to make another track pass before winter but after todays snow flurry i have to put my all seasons back on :cryying:

nordy racer

Established Member
25 horse is awesome, there's a lot of hate on headers for these cars because of the cost, and complexity of installation, but from what ive seen they are probably one of the "must do" mods for these cars. I dont blame someone on a budget for doing a catless H or X, but when you gain hp and tq across the board its more than just making a few hp over peak. Im very happy with the end product and just hope i can hold out for a while for the next round. My goal is to start putting down the power, so a set of wheels for the track and a driveshaft are probably next on my list. eventually i plan on adding a CJ setup and trying for 10's N/A. I was hoping to make another track pass before winter but after todays snow flurry i have to put my all seasons back on :cryying:

Totally true man. It was cost for the headers and install but I wouldn't change a thing now about them. I love te power increase and the sound is a amazing. Car sounds just like it did with stock headers, H pipe and GT500 muffs but when you slam the gas WATCH OUT amazing sound.

I hope to it a 10 sec slip NA on my first visit next racing season :).

Fast_5.0

Established Member
Why does my car sound obnoxiously louder? I have Kooks 1 7/8, O/R X, 3" Pipes out to 4" tips. Does adding a muffler make that big of a difference in quieting the sound/drone? At 3k rpm, I sound like I'm damn near going WOT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread