Belt keeps coming off crank help!!!

50hoes

Established Member
I just installed a new 8 rib tensioner and also a new set of idlers but now the problem is that the belt comes of the crank a little bit when i start the car. What could cause this?
fb27c4e3bb1ecd585f6ee5669f549b0f.jpg
602dc9edfc9dd312e48724e2241736e4.jpg

50hoes

Established Member
if belt is good and snug i would lean towards a pulley alignment issue.

Yes the belt is snug and from the top its aligned its just the crank that pulls everything off is there supposed to be a spacer behind the crank pulley or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04oxfordvert

Established Member
i dont believe there is a crank spacer. ivr never seen one on any engine. alignment good from top by eye? or with strait edge?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Seeing how younjust changed idlers and tensioner I would suspect one of those items. Puttong the old stuff back one piece at a time is probably the easiest way to figure it out

MG0h3

Established Member
I think I've read people having a spacer backwards with the Metco lowers. Odd thing is it sounds like this wasn't an issue until you did the tensioner and idlers; I'd start there. Is the idler by the crank on backwards?

50hoes

Established Member
i dont believe there is a crank spacer. ivr never seen one on any engine. alignment good from top by eye? or with strait edge?

As far as i can see its all straight, could this happen because the belt is to tight? Because to put the belt on i take off the tensioner and then put the belt and put the tensioner back

01yellercobra

Established Member
Any time I've had a belt walk off its been an alignment issue. Going by eye won't always be enough. I had to break out the lasers for my last one. An idler pulley was half of a rib width out of alignment with everything else. I lined it up and no more thrown belts.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

50hoes

Established Member
Any time I've had a belt walk off its been an alignment issue. Going by eye won't always be enough. I had to break out the lasers for my last one. An idler pulley was half of a rib width out of alignment with everything else. I lined it up and no more thrown belts.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Like i said its only happening from the bottom where the crank is it stays align in the top

50hoes

Established Member
Seeing how younjust changed idlers and tensioner I would suspect one of those items. Puttong the old stuff back one piece at a time is probably the easiest way to figure it out

It was also doing it befoee i thought it was a bad tensioner

04oxfordvert

Established Member
As far as i can see its all straight, could this happen because the belt is to tight? Because to put the belt on i take off the tensioner and then put the belt and put the tensioner back
thats how i put my belt on. take oulley off then install with belt. if check your idlers. could be a spacer put in wrong spot. or missing.

50hoes

Established Member
thats how i put my belt on. take oulley off then install with belt. if check your idlers. could be a spacer put in wrong spot. or missing.

Where do the spacers go? I didnt get no spacers in my billetflowboulley kit

MG0h3

Established Member
It was also doing it befoee i thought it was a bad tensioner

Did it start after the lower install by any chance? I've never run one but I'm almost positive I've seen threads where there was a spacer or something with the hub being an issue.

50hoes

Established Member
Did it start after the lower install by any chance? I've never run one but I'm almost positive I've seen threads where there was a spacer or something with the hub being an issue.

Well i just got my car back from having the motor rebuilt i have a feeling they put the crank pulley on wrong

04oxfordvert

Established Member
Where do the spacers go? I didnt get no spacers in my billetflowboulley kit
ok my billetflows had no spacers. maybe it has something to do with your lower crank pulley. could be bent. that would deff throw belts. remove your belt. get a good flashlight and observe your lower while at idle

MG0h3

Established Member
Could be. Do some searching on here; can't remember if there is a spacer or if you can put the hub on backwards or what.

50hoes

Established Member
ok my billetflows had no spacers. maybe it has something to do with your lower crank pulley. could be bent. that would deff throw belts. remove your belt. get a good flashlight and observe your lower while at idle

Ok will do

Users who are viewing this thread