Best Aftermarket Shifter and Why??

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I'd like a little input on which of the aftermarket shifters would be the best. I've listed a few below that I've heard mentioned by name, but if I'm missing any just add them into the discussion.

I'd also like to be able to use the stock shifter boot and knob if possible.

Thanks.

1. Steeda Tri-Ax

2. Pro-5.0

3. Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Forget a shifter, it doesnt make a difference. 1st mod should be a quadrant/firewall adjuster, then maybe the mgw handle.

jason

LCCOBRA

Established Member
I used the tri-ax but dislike it because of ground gears and miss shifts. But that could just be driver error.So I sold the tri-ax and I decided i'm going with the pro 50 in the spring. Do a search and you'll find tons of info. :)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Originally posted by 2thman
Forget a shifter, it doesnt make a difference. 1st mod should be a quadrant/firewall adjuster, then maybe the mgw handle.

jason

blah, my shifter made a nice difference. I do agree with the firewall adjuster and quadrant, one of the best mods I have done so far.

I personally like the Pro50, they stand behind their name, they have been around for a long time.

I have one also in my snake

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by broke7
blah, my shifter made a nice difference. I do agree with the firewall adjuster and quadrant, one of the best mods I have done so far.

I personally like the Pro50, they stand behind their name, they have been around for a long time.

I have one also in my snake
I agree with both your points. I surely would not tell anyone NOT to can the stock shifter. I don't miss it a bit. It does not compare to my TriAx.

Both the TriAx and Pro 5.0 are great pieces, with the Pro 5.0 being a bit more rugged. The Hurst billet shifter is good, too, as is the Kirban. Four great choices, and I've left out at least 2 or 3 others.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
how does the firewall adjuster affect driving? Does it make for easier launches, or just easier shifts?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i love my pro-50. had the tri-ax in my last car, feels about the same, like the said above, the pro-50 is heavyer built. def. get the mgw shifter handle. one of my best mods to date

dhammans

Established Member
I'm new to Mustangs in and domestic V8's in general - I too am curious what the quadrant does for you. Just allow for better clutch adjustment or is there another advantage?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I checked my favorites and I do a terrible job at files. There was a site somone posted of all the exact measurments of the shifters. There was one that actually had a shorter throw threw pivot point, not by shortening the shifter itself.

I at one time thought about buying this because of the Porsches our family had and I like the short tight throw.

When I drove my car It didnt seem to have any problems that others have with reaching (although somone asked me if my knuckles drag on the ground lol) Although tighter shorter throw still would be nice. But I left it stock.

I heard of some bent trany parts and still think a properly adjusted shifter stop is good no matter what you brand you buy.
instead of leaving it up to internal part stops.

Last edited:

03redfiresnake

Established Member
my dealer included installing the pro 5.0 when I bought the car new, they recommended it, I later installed the triax handle and put the stock knob on, looks stock and I don't change radio stations with my knuckles when shifting into 1, 3, 5.

wuplash

Established Member
i have the upr blue thunder plus there firewall and quadrant and i love the setup,it makes shifting much more precise and it also increases the fun factor of driving:burnout:

46stang

Established Member
i have used both and they feel about the same! (steeda/pro50). i like the pro50 just a liitle more but only with the mgw handle. but neither shifter feels half as good as my gene berg shifter i had in my 64 bug. only had to move my wrist to shift gears in the bug! oh well.
leon

Friendchicken

I have the Pro 5.0 and it's quiet, short-throw and smooth gates. I hear the Tri-ax transfers more noise, but if you change the shifter handle, I don't think it matters much which base you go for.

Users who are viewing this thread