Best gun for daily carry

SuperRok

Established Member
I carry a Ruger LCP in front pocket with inside holster. 7 shots and .380 ammo. Plenty of stopping power and fairly accurate. I can easily shoot with left or right one-handed. The price is decent, a lil over $300.

I have not had one misfire after shooting 200 rounds. The gun is light, comfortable to carry, and will get the job done. I have a Kahr CW40 as well. It is compact, but not as comfortable as the Ruger.

txyaloo

Established Member
I carry a Ruger LCP in front pocket with inside holster. 7 shots and .380 ammo. Plenty of stopping power and fairly accurate. I can easily shoot with left or right one-handed. The price is decent, a lil over $300.

I have not had one misfire after shooting 200 rounds. The gun is light, comfortable to carry, and will get the job done. I have a Kahr CW40 as well. It is compact, but not as comfortable as the Ruger.

.380's "stopping power" is debatable. I wouldn't trust a CCW gun that I've only put 200 rounds down range with. I want at least 1,000 rounds w/o failure before I'll call a potential CCW gun reliable. 200 rounds should be a typical training session.

black 10th vert

Established Member
.380's "stopping power" is debatable. I wouldn't trust a CCW gun that I've only put 200 rounds down range with. I want at least 1,000 rounds w/o failure before I'll call a potential CCW gun reliable. 200 rounds should be a typical training session.

you're right about that. Stopping power is definitely a relative term, because even a .22 has "stopping power" with a head shot. A body shot with a .22, or .380 not so much so - especially against a meth head, or similar.

cotchnobra

Established Member
you're right about that. Stopping power is definitely a relative term, because even a .22 has "stopping power" with a head shot. A body shot with a .22, or .380 not so much so - especially against a meth head, or similar.

you are deffinitely right about stopping power being relative. for the meth heads I got a S&W 460xvr. It's a bit heavy as a carry gun but I think it will take down a meth/crackhead. LOL :D

txyaloo

Established Member
you are deffinitely right about stopping power being relative. for the meth heads I got a S&W 460xvr. It's a bit heavy as a carry gun but I think it will take down a meth/crackhead. LOL :D

That doesn't do you much good if you aren't carrying it. I haven't seen many people shoot a .380 pocket gun well. They are definitely easy to conceal and light weight, but I'd rather have a compact size gun which is easy to deploy get a proper grip on in a defensive situation.

I alternate my carry between a commander sized 1911, Glock 19, or USPc .40. The 1911 is the easiest of the 3 to conceal.

black 10th vert

Established Member
That doesn't do you much good if you aren't carrying it. I haven't seen many people shoot a .380 pocket gun well. They are definitely easy to conceal and light weight, but I'd rather have a compact size gun which is easy to deploy get a proper grip on in a defensive situation.

I alternate my carry between a commander sized 1911, Glock 19, or USPc .40. The 1911 is the easiest of the 3 to conceal.

Totally agree, but in a pinch, I think I'd still prefer to have that little .380 as opposed to having nothing because I was not able to dress around my 9mm for some situation. ;-)

SuperRok

Established Member

I can understand that. I am impressed that out of the box it did not malfunction at all. 1000 rounds seems a little excessive.

Azsnake

Established Member
Find a comfortable gun that fits you and in the caliber that you can afford to shoot often and that is comfortable to shoot for you. There is no magic "fits all" carry gun. I like the XD series, S&W M&P's and the baby glocks (g26,g27) etc. A large caliber isn't going to do you any good if you can't afford the expensive ammo to practice with (.45, .357(hard to find) are about 2x the price of 9mm). People will argue that a 9mm won't be enough but, many of the modern 9mm rounds have plenty of stopping power and a 9mm is very easy to control when firing rapidly. Find a nice holster too, makes a big difference. Good luck!

oilwell1415

Established Member
I can understand that. I am impressed that out of the box it did not malfunction at all. 1000 rounds seems a little excessive.

Is your life worth a 1 in 200 chance? I'm guessing not. Probably not a 1 in 1000 chance either, but putting 1000 rounds through a gun before you trust it is not even a little bit excessive.

Make sure whatever you buy is legal. We can't carry anything bigger than .45 here, so the 460vxl and Desert Eagle .50 are a nogo.

I'll agree with everyone else about trying a lot of different guns. Make sure you check how they work with your natural point of aim. If that's close it will be much easier to shoot well.

My choice is the XD45 Tactical.

txyaloo

Established Member
Totally agree, but in a pinch, I think I'd still prefer to have that little .380 as opposed to having nothing because I was not able to dress around my 9mm for some situation. ;-)

I'm not disagreeing with you. A .380 is ok in some situations. As you said, it's better than nothing, but in most cases, it's not hard to dress around a compact or sub-compact handgun.

5 training sessions with a gun seems excessive?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Is it comfortable?
Can you hit what you shoot at consistently?
Can you actually conceal it?

If you can answer yes to those 3 questions, that's the gun for you. The rest is all personal preference.

Jack Burton

Established Member

Jeff, can you provide some more detail on concealed carry of the commander sized 1911 (that's what I currently have, and I'm waiting for my permit to come in the mail). I'd like to get some ideas on some options for carrying.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I have heard great things about the SR9c. Very thin 9m that holds 10+1! Also ships with the ext 17+1 mag. Great gun for under 500 bucks.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a42kPWEyiPU"]YouTube - Ruger SR9c another home run for Ruger[/nomedia]

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
IDK i use a Glock 27 daily but that's me. I have small hands so its fits mine perfectly, go to a range and try a few guns......that's the only way to be sure. my gun might not be ideal for you.

txyaloo

Established Member
Jeff, can you provide some more detail on concealed carry of the commander sized 1911 (that's what I currently have, and I'm waiting for my permit to come in the mail). I'd like to get some ideas on some options for carrying.

I carry it in a Comp-Tac MTAC usually between positions 2-4 o'clock. It depends on what I'm wearing, but 2 o'clock is most common. It's comfortable in that position. A 1911 is so thin that it's pretty easy to conceal.

c41a22c5.jpg

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

No worries. :beer: I like the MTAC because I can change kydex shells and carry 3-4 different guns with the 1 leather backing. That way the leather is formed to me and whatever gun I carry has the same comfort level. It and the Supertuck are good holster solutions.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'll start looking at them online. This will be my first concealed carry firearm, and I've never owned a holster (I was never carrying) and I wasn't really sure where to start. At least now I know where to look. I'm also glad to hear that the 1911 is fairly easy to carry, as I love my 1911 and wasn't really wanted to buy another pistol just for carrying purposes.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
No worries. :beer: I like the MTAC because I can change kydex shells and carry 3-4 different guns with the 1 leather backing. That way the leather is formed to me and whatever gun I carry has the same comfort level. It and the Supertuck are good holster solutions.

What belt is that?
Any suggestions on where to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread