Best gun for daily carry

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
As one scours the internet looking for the best pistol for self preservation, he comes across a variety of choices. Everything from the .380 ACP to the .50 Desert Eagle. When looking for the perfect blend of effectiveness and practicality, what is the best gun for everyday self defense:pop:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It's different for everyone. Get out there and try out some different firearms at the range.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
It's different for everyone. Get out there and try out some different firearms at the range.

This.

There really isn't a "best" carry gun, because everyone has different preferences. Some people like their carry guns to be very small, some people like revolvers, etc.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
The best 'carry' gun is one you'll actually carry. As in, Actually having a .380 on you is better than leaving your .50AE in the gun safe. Good news is there are more choices than ever in terms of ergonomic,small,adequatly powerful guns. Technology & market demand has actually made a .380 based platform a viable self defense gun. Modern .380 has benifits from better propellents, better bullets, & better guns in which to shoot from. Having said all that, I still advocate 9mm's. All roads lead to G26's & competent training.

black 10th vert

Established Member
The best 'carry' gun is one you'll actually carry. As in, Actually having a .380 on you is better than leaving your .50AE in the gun safe. Good news is there are more choices than ever in terms of ergonomic,small,adequatly powerful guns. Technology & market demand has actually made a .380 based platform a viable self defense gun. Modern .380 has benifits from better propellents, better bullets, & better guns in which to shoot from. Having said all that, I still advocate 9mm's. All roads lead to G26's & competent training.

I totally agree! With that said, it also depends a lot on whether you wish to pocket carry, or IWB. If you want to pocket carry, then you are generally limited to smaller calibers, like the .380, .22, etc., and are usually also limited in bullet capacity as well due to the size constraints. For IWB, that definitely varies by the individual, but with the right carry rig, you can make even a full sized 1911 disappear with a tucked in shirt. I personally like the new Ruger SR9c, because it is very compact, but carries a decent defensive round (9mm), and has the ability to use a high capacity mag, although the 10 round is a lot easier to conceal.;-)

01svtL

Established Member
Check out the Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact. I'm buying the full size next week, and even it is pretty small.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
The best gun for daily carry is one:

1. That you are comfortable shooting (size, weight, grip, recoil)
2. You can successfully hide
3. If Semi-auto, function tested with the ammo you intend to carry (at least 500 rounds)

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
As others have said buy what you will carry. I have always told people to carry the smallest gun they are comfortable with. For myself, I am not comfortable carrying a 0.380. A round that will not penetrate tempered glass a point blank range is not for me. Take a look at Kahr's line. Their line of carry guns can't be beat. I have carried several over the years. For the last year I have carried the PM9. I love it.

As for how you carry, I would stay away from pocket carry. Put your phone in your pocket and sit down. How many rings does it take to answer?

txyaloo

Established Member
As others have said buy what you will carry. I have always told people to carry the smallest gun they are comfortable with. For myself, I am not comfortable carrying a 0.380. A round that will not penetrate tempered glass a point blank range is not for me. Take a look at Kahr's line. Their line of carry guns can't be beat. I have carried several over the years. For the last year I have carried the PM9. I love it.

As for how you carry, I would stay away from pocket carry. Put your phone in your pocket and sit down. How many rings does it take to answer?

I'd disagree with that assessment. There are a lot of guns that I'd own/carry before a Kahr.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I totally agree! With that said, it also depends a lot on whether you wish to pocket carry, or IWB. If you want to pocket carry, then you are generally limited to smaller calibers, like the .380, .22, etc., and are usually also limited in bullet capacity as well due to the size constraints. For IWB, that definitely varies by the individual, but with the right carry rig, you can make even a full sized 1911 disappear with a tucked in shirt. I personally like the new Ruger SR9c, because it is very compact, but carries a decent defensive round (9mm), and has the ability to use a high capacity mag, although the 10 round is a lot easier to conceal.;-)

What's IWB?

Sent with Riddla's massive johnson

Edit; nm,.,. in waist band :shrug:

beeradd

Established Member
I originally started out with a sub compact .40 cal iwb. Now I am wanting something smaller, I would like to have more options. The .40 gets pretty sweaty in the summer and feels bulky but would work well for me in the winter. What ever suits your lifestyle best, I prefer a few different choices.

txyaloo

Established Member
What's IWB?

Sent with Riddla's massive johnson

Inside the waistband

I originally started out with a sub compact .40 cal iwb. Now I am wanting something smaller, I would like to have more options. The .40 gets pretty sweaty in the summer and feels bulky but would work well for me in the winter. What ever suits your lifestyle best, I prefer a few different choices.

You should probably look at single stack guns, then. Pretty much any double stack is going to be "bulky". I personally wouldn't carry anything below a 9mm unless due to the circumstances (security, chance to be detected, etc), it was my only option.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I have a S&W bodygaurd .380. love that gun. very small and compact, 8 rounds, laser sight that is natural to operate and built in. I have big hands and it works great. I also have a springfield XDm 9mm full size that could be carried, but would only carry it if things were significantly more dangerous in the US. the .380 is small enough I almost forget about it. they make a holster that will basically turn it into a wallet so no imprinting. I like the .380...it's no .45acp but when push comes to shove a hole is a hole. .22s are just as deadly. rest assured, I don't care what you are shot with whether it is a .380 or a .45 it doesn't matter, you have a hole in your body and internal body damage, caliber is only useful if you are engaging a vehicle, with a small caliber you will be able to return to target faster and you can easily run out a mag quickly with a 9mm with a tighter spread then you could with a .45.

this theory has been tested time and time again by myself and my father (expert marksmen) using my xdm .45 and my xdm 9mm and his 40 beretta PX4 storm and his sig .45, I forget the sig's model. no matter if I am the one doing the shooting or my father, clicking through any of the above at the same distance the spread on the 9mm is far tighter.

this is my .02 cents

I agree with the many suggestions above. the most important thing to do is hold the weapon and be comfortable not only with how it fits your hand, but how it fires and responds to you. if you are uncomfortable with that firearm without shooting, it's not for you, if it's rough on the shooting part, find another. there are many options out there. I like sigs, SW, and springfield. I'll be honest, I was never happy with a glock. good guns, but I didn't like them.

good luck on your decision.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I think a glock 27 or 26 is the perfect size for everyday carry. And for those times when your clothing wont allow for it, you can carry a little pocket .380... Thats my carry combo anyway.

Last

Established Member
I have a variety of carry pistols, depends on what I am wearing, but I have been eye balling the new kimber solo, its very pricey but its a 9mm in a .380 package in semi auto form. but most of the time I have a .38 wheel gun with an ankle holster. But in all honesty you need to take a pistol proficiency class before you make your decision.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I don't think there is a 'one size fits all' in this scenario. You need to go to the range, rent a bunch of guns and see what you're comfortable with.

I carry a Springfield xdsc .40 99% of the time. I just recently picked up a snubnose .38 spl for the times the xd isn't easily concealed.

Holster choice makes worlds of difference for what is comfortable as well. No matter what gun you decide to purchase, make sure you pick up a quality holster. Take a hard look at Crossbreed holsters.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have a S&W bodygaurd .380. love that gun. very small and compact, 8 rounds, laser sight that is natural to operate and built in. I have big hands and it works great. I also have a springfield XDm 9mm full size that could be carried, but would only carry it if things were significantly more dangerous in the US. the .380 is small enough I almost forget about it. they make a holster that will basically turn it into a wallet so no imprinting. I like the .380...it's no .45acp but when push comes to shove a hole is a hole. .22s are just as deadly. rest assured, I don't care what you are shot with whether it is a .380 or a .45 it doesn't matter, you have a hole in your body and internal body damage, caliber is only useful if you are engaging a vehicle, with a small caliber you will be able to return to target faster and you can easily run out a mag quickly with a 9mm with a tighter spread then you could with a .45.

this theory has been tested time and time again by myself and my father (expert marksmen) using my xdm .45 and my xdm 9mm and his 40 beretta PX4 storm and his sig .45, I forget the sig's model. no matter if I am the one doing the shooting or my father, clicking through any of the above at the same distance the spread on the 9mm is far tighter.

this is my .02 cents

I agree with the many suggestions above. the most important thing to do is hold the weapon and be comfortable not only with how it fits your hand, but how it fires and responds to you. if you are uncomfortable with that firearm without shooting, it's not for you, if it's rough on the shooting part, find another. there are many options out there. I like sigs, SW, and springfield. I'll be honest, I was never happy with a glock. good guns, but I didn't like them.

good luck on your decision.

That is one of the ones on my list to pick up at some point as an optional one for lighter clothing.

cotchnobra

Established Member
I don't think there is a 'one size fits all' in this scenario. You need to go to the range, rent a bunch of guns and see what you're comfortable with.

I carry a Springfield xdsc .40 99% of the time. I just recently picked up a snubnose .38 spl for the times the xd isn't easily concealed.

Holster choice makes worlds of difference for what is comfortable as well. No matter what gun you decide to purchase, make sure you pick up a quality holster. Take a hard look at Crossbreed holsters.

I would agree with a .40 subcompact or a .38special snub nose of your choice as a carry weapon. both are lightweight and small in size but will still provide enough punch.

Users who are viewing this thread