Best gun for daily carry

txyaloo

Established Member
I'll start looking at them online. This will be my first concealed carry firearm, and I've never owned a holster (I was never carrying) and I wasn't really sure where to start. At least now I know where to look. I'm also glad to hear that the 1911 is fairly easy to carry, as I love my 1911 and wasn't really wanted to buy another pistol just for carrying purposes.

Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, and Raven Concealment are where I'd look for IWB holsters. You'll probably try a few holsters until you find one you like and that fits you well.

What belt is that?
Any suggestions on where to buy?

That's a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructors belt. You can get them all over. Midwayusa.com normally has standard sizes/colors in stock. Grey Group should carry them. Grey Group also just got in a shipment of Ares Gear Ranger belts which are nice. Pretty much any riggers belt works well. They're great when wearing an untucked shirt, but are a bit too tacticool to wear when tucking.

Grey Ghost Outlet has a Tactical Tailor 1.75" riggers belt on clearance. It's a little too wide to wear with jeans, though.

29-31 Rigger Belt

1.5" fits most standard IWB holsters. 1.75"+ works better with OWB holsters and "tactical" pants IMO.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have a Glock 23 .40 and it fits in my coat pocket. Plus it feels at home in my waist band. Definitely go some where and "try" a few out and see which fit, feels and you like the best. Good luck.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
That's a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructors belt. You can get them all over. Midwayusa.com normally has standard sizes/colors in stock. Grey Group should carry them. Grey Group also just got in a shipment of Ares Gear Ranger belts which are nice. Pretty much any riggers belt works well. They're great when wearing an untucked shirt, but are a bit too tacticool to wear when tucking.

Grey Ghost Outlet has a Tactical Tailor 1.75" riggers belt on clearance. It's a little too wide to wear with jeans, though.

29-31 Rigger Belt

1.5" fits most standard IWB holsters. 1.75"+ works better with OWB holsters and "tactical" pants IMO.

Cool, thanks for the info. I need to pick something up. I've been using my center console as my holster and I don't think it'll help when out and about.

siksvt03cobra

Established Member
I carry a sig p239 with a inside the pants holster on my side and i dont even feel it. I just picked up a semi auto .380 body guard that is also very nice to carry.

99BOSS

Established Member
The Ruger LCP is tough to beat. I carry it most of the time and you can drop it in your jeans pocket and no one can see it. I also have a Glock 29 10mm auto thats on my nightstand at night and I carry it in the winter more. I think its the best combo of size and firepower. Its smaller than a 1911, about the same size as several 9mm's but packs a lot more punch. It doesnt kick any more than a 1911 either. Ive been shooting 10s since I was in high school and have shot it in pistol matches too. Very accurate, high capacity, and powerful in a compact package.

cobra904

Established Member
Sig p228 in 9mm or Sig p229 in .40/357sig in semi auto. Ruger SP-101 .327 mag or .357 mag in revolver. These are all excellent carry guns. The Sigs are small reliable and safe. The magnum revolvers are very versatile because of different calibers you can choose to shoot in them if the magnum load is too much. I also love the 10mm, it's magnum power in a semi auto.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I carry a sig p239 with a inside the pants holster on my side and i dont even feel it. I just picked up a semi auto .380 body guard that is also very nice to carry.

Do you have the SAS model? Sigs are sweet guns but they are more expensive.

Again I want say the sr9, sr9c, and sr40 are great guns for carry because they are so thin. Approximately the same thickness as the 1911 and thinner than the glocks. Reliable, cheap(about $450), and thin equals a great carry weapon!:rockon:

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Make sure your state's requirement for concealed carry permits before you go too far. Mine should be in the mail this week. My preference is a Beretta 9mm.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Anybody see the new S&W Governor?

GOVERNOR (Z) - Smith & Wesson

Looks like it was modeled after the Taurus Judge. Looks like it could be a potent revolver to keep in the vehicle. Anybody have any experience with the Judge at all? I've only really owned semi-auto pistols and I've only shot one revolver so I'm not too familiar with them.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Anybody see the new S&W Governor?

GOVERNOR (Z) - Smith & Wesson

Looks like it was modeled after the Taurus Judge. Looks like it could be a potent revolver to keep in the vehicle. Anybody have any experience with the Judge at all? I've only really owned semi-auto pistols and I've only shot one revolver so I'm not too familiar with them.

I had a Judge for about 4 months. It's a cool pistol but I sold it. It weighs 10 tons and is massive. I'd keep one in the car but that's the only use I'd have for it. I only shot 410 out of it and it made a decent pattern at 5 yards with bird shot.
If you've never shot a revolver you need to practice with it alot more than a semi auto IMO. The trigger pull is so stiff you'll be pulling your shots unless you practice, practice, practice.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I kind of thought that might be the type of response I might get for it. As I thought, it seems like it might be a fun toy to have, but may not be very practical to carry (although, as you mentioned, could be nice to keep in the car...but in that case, I've been keeping my eye on a Bond Arms Snake Slayer Derringer at the local gun shop. It's not something I need, but for $350 it's kind of tempting)

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I usually carry a Glock 30SF (10 rounds of .45 ACP) in either a paddle hip holster or an IWB holster. When clothing makes it difficult I carry a S&W J frame .38 special +P in a pocket holster.

If you already have a 1911 start with that. I used to carry a 1911 before switching to the Glock and the 1911 is easy to hide in an IWB holster under a jacket or untucked shirt.

Most gun shops with a range will let you rent guns to shoot. Find one and try everything that you might like. Whatever you choose it needs to feel good and be easy to shoot accurately.
:coolman:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I kind of thought that might be the type of response I might get for it. As I thought, it seems like it might be a fun toy to have, but may not be very practical to carry

Yeah, I liked shooting it but after a few boxes of .410 I was kind of bored with it.

NotQuik

Just a GT
Established Member
During the week I carry a full sized S&W M&P 9 and like it although it's does take alittle getting used to for myself cause it's a double stack magazine. On the weekend if I have regular shorts and a tank top I carry the Ruger LCP cause as mentioned it is more easier to conceil. Every body is different so you'll just have some trial and error to see what works for you.

txyaloo

Established Member
I kind of thought that might be the type of response I might get for it. As I thought, it seems like it might be a fun toy to have, but may not be very practical to carry (although, as you mentioned, could be nice to keep in the car...but in that case, I've been keeping my eye on a Bond Arms Snake Slayer Derringer at the local gun shop. It's not something I need, but for $350 it's kind of tempting)

I'd consider a side or under folder AK for a car/truck gun. They're cheap and easy to deploy. I've started keeping the MP5k in a laptop case on the seat while on the road. The ultimate in concealed carry. :lol:

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'd consider a side or under folder AK for a car/truck gun. They're cheap and easy to deploy. I've started keeping the MP5k in a laptop case on the seat while on the road. The ultimate in concealed carry. :lol:

:lol: make sure you mount some sort of camera to it. I'm sure the look on the would-be carjackers face would be priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread