Best Place to Sell an Old Car (Ford Content)

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
An acquaintance of ours husband passed away last year. He was a diehard Ford guy and his wife is now ready to part ways his toys. They haven't ran in 6-9 months and I told my friend I would help get them running and give her advice on where to sell them and maybe even write up a description of them for her to post.

The cars are a '55 Crown Victoria which I think is stock. The other one which was his prized possession is a 1961 Starliner coupe. Supposedly it has a stroked BB (She thinks it's 515?) with a 4-spd. She showed me pictures, the car was mint.

I'm going to pull the plugs, charge the batteries, and try and bump them over to get some oil pressure before I try and start them. Is there any other precautions I should take? Like I said they were running right up until he died. He was a mechanic by trade so I hoping they don't need much to get going.

Now for selling them I'm thinking Hemmings or Ebay but I'm not real up what's the best place for these. She wants to move them because as I told her, they're just going to turn to crap the longer they sit. BAT came to mind but she isn't tech savvy enough to be the active and informed seller the BAT crowd seems to attract.

Zemedici

Established Member
Bring a trailer over eBay, i know she isn’t savvy, but to get decent money, someone is going to have to be. Can’t post up a car like that and go ‘what you see is what you get’ ya know?

Would you liaison for her?

Otherwise i would call local spots and see if someone would be interested in coming to pick them up, like Gas Monkey did in the TV show

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
My gramps has a 56' Crown Vic with the 292 Y block. Decently rare, top of the line Fairlane. Believe it or not I still find quite a bit on Craigslist.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Bring a trailer over eBay, i know she isn’t savvy, but to get decent money, someone is going to have to be. Can’t post up a car like that and go ‘what you see is what you get’ ya know?

Would you liaison for her?

Otherwise i would call local spots and see if someone would be interested in coming to pick them up, like Gas Monkey did in the TV show

I'm trying to not get too involved. Between running to run a business, chasing materials, and posting on SVT I just don't have the time. I'm just trying to pay it forward, it could be my wife one day.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm trying to not get too involved. Between running to run a business, chasing materials, and posting on SVT I just don't have the time. I'm just trying to pay it forward, it could be my wife one day.

fair enough my good man

if she 'just wants them gone' - ebay would work, but the fees suck

Local car dealer may be the best bet imo

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Call Wayne Carini? He's in CT so not that far for him, or he would probably be able to point you in the right direction.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ This..... She really needs to talk to a professional broker, as how best to market them if they really are that good. This person can also represent her, and help with the transactions. BaT has LOTS of dealers that take a commission off the sale price that is agreed to in advance.

I also agree, 6-9 months, they should start with out too much trouble.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I went over to the widow's house today. Everything looked good so I unplugged the coil and cranked the motor over until it built up oil pressure. Pulled the cap on the fuel cell, definitely had race gas in it. SOB fired right up. It's 515 ci with a top loader and 4 link rear. Pretty sweet car, some Ford guys going to love it.
Starliner (15).jpg

Starliner (2).jpg

Starliner (10).jpg

Starliner (19).jpg

There was another garage filled with 2 '55's. The garage was filled to the ceilings with Ford parts. OEM stuff, Blown FE's, New Demon carbs, and Snap on and Matco tools. It would take months to go through it all. NOS '50's AM radios, Machined cranks, New MSD distributors, Stromberg carbs, you name it, it's in there.
I told her and her daughter to sell off some of the easy stuff and I'd come back over and make a pile for them to take to Hershey.

Stuff (2).jpg

Stuff (3).jpg

Stuff (5).jpg

Stuff (7).jpg

Stuff (8).jpg

Attachments

• Starliner (4).jpg
    Starliner (4).jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
@7998 , H.A.M.B. Is a pre-‘64 forum. They have a marketplace also with a huge membership. All it would require is joining & posting pics.
‘I’d give that a try.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Heck yeah, I’ll watch for your add if you decide to go that route.
That’s some desirable stuff, cars & parts.
The HAMB gets lots of traffic. And I also notice a lot of guys there are in the east/northeast area. Good luck & props for helping someone out.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I made a post there, basically stating the same thing I posted here but it got taken down for some reason. It wasn't a for sale ad or anything. I PM'd a mod to ask why.

Morgan

Established Member
I made a post there, basically stating the same thing I posted here but it got taken down for some reason. It wasn't a for sale ad or anything. I PM'd a mod to ask why.

Good move. I know some guys that use that site and they say it’s a great group that actively keeps their members in check.
They probably just need to validate that you’re not a bad character.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The mod on H.AM.B wrote back saying the following
The 61 Starliner is a 90’s Pro Street and the Gasser / parts / a lot of billet aluminum which is the 90’s as well.

Not HAMB ERA and your post was deleted.

So no biggie, it's their place. Not every forum is as good as this one.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Yeah they’re persnickety about the era rules. I get it but I don’t. I do know, there’s a ton of members there that would give their left nut for some of those parts/cars.
There’s a big following of gassers there.

Users who are viewing this thread