best platform?

hurikane85

Established Member
I would really like to get into the open track side of things. I recently sold my 03' cobra. I was looking into gettin a gt500 but I have started to reconsider that option since I have heard they are not the best option for open track events. I also heard the new 5.0s and boss's seem to get into limp mode pretty easily with some heat issues. So should I just get another 03 cobra or maybe even consider a 99 or 01 cobra. Is the IRS much more beneficial then live axle for open track? Or should I even consider a sn95 or fox body?

racebronco2

Established Member
Buy a boss and get a tiger racing hood and after market radiator. Paul brown (owner of tiger racing) won this year in a boss 302. All stock except exhaust.

hurikane85

Established Member
thanks guys! are the fr500c's streetable? I would still like something I could play around on the street with or even take it down the quarter mile.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
fr500c is race track only my man. if you want a street car to drive fast and on occasion go to a track of some kind, get a boss 302.

if you want to do something more at the track, you will want the cage and other safety gear and racing suspension and so forth. then you want something like the C.

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Addendum: If you have cash to play with, look around for a well built LSx swapped 3rd gen RX7 or BMW E36 first before buying another mustang.....just a suggestion. :)

dragon40k

Established Member
Get whatever you can afford to walk away from if you're going to take it out often. You can have fun in any car no matter how fast it is.

hurikane85

Established Member
Thanks guys! yeah the best option for me is to take my fiance's bone stock 01' cobra to putnam this spring for an open track event. I have played with autocross and it seemed fun. I just was not completley hooked. I will test the water with her car, and then see if its worth buying a purpose built car. I do see an occassional pic of a few 99 to 01's running around on the open track pictures. If i got hooked would a 01 cobra fit the bill? is the IRS much better then a live axle setup? Or even what are some things I could do to it this winter that wouldn't have me investing too much into her car but just some things that would make the trip to the tack a little better.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
make no mistake about it. the s197 chassis(05 and up) is far superior to the older stuff. these cars including the boss 302 are engineered to handle with the stick axle.

my suggestion would be to start with an 05 gt as the cheapest starting point. the amount of aftermarket work required to get an 04 and older chassis to handle like a stock 05 and newer chassis is significant.

if you start with an 01 you will be wanting and 05 before you know it.

example. i had a very nicely developed 95 cobra r race car. built by the best with three way adjustable shocks and 14" brembo brakes added. i got my fr500c and the first day shake down, i took 4 seconds off my best lap time in the cobra r at road atlanta. i am now running 6 seconds faster than the R.

the R had 40 ft lb of torque more than the C and the C had 25 whp more than the R.
same brakes. its all chassis.

hurikane85

Established Member
I could get a super clean 05' for cheap, what would be the first things you would do? tires and a spring swap?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
for starters just make sure your tires are good street performance tires and that your brakes are fresh. pads rotors brake fluid and bleed.

after that you can add a brembo 14 inch brake kit which is stock to the shelby gt500 for a one peice rotor set up.

after seat time and comfort level you can add the world challenge engine up grade for the 3v. heads cams intake and throttle body.

then when you are pushing the chassis beyond its settings you can add the fr suspension goodies.

easy step by step progression.

or you can buy a finished race car with all that stuff already done

hurikane85

Established Member
One last question lol, I should stick with N/A s197's right? I didn't know if the Roush 427r's or saleen sc281 would work, or would they have cooling issues?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you're just getting into open tracking I suggest you start out with something slow and simple which is within your budget.

The '01 sounds like your best bet. The only mod you really need is front brake cooling ducts. And like Greg said, good pads and good brake fluid. Learn to drive that car fast on street tires. You're much better off learning how to drive a slow car fast than you are learning how to drive a fast car fast.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I'll add that if you get an 01, you need to add full length subframe connectors to the list of to-dos soon after starting tracking. I won't run another New Edge without them.

If I were spending Mustang money right now, it would be on a S197 5.0 liter. I have been super impressed with them on track.

hurikane85

Established Member
makes really good sense, the same with drag racing but even with more emphasis on the driver. thanks for all the info guys!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The NASA Performance Touring rules for 2012 came out today. They are the same for Time Trials.

I am suprised that they gave the Boss 302 a PTA* which puts it dead equal to a C5Z06. However, the 3630lb minimum weight is going to kill its true potential. What that is saying, is NASA thinks it is better than the C5Z06 which is a PTA* at 3118.

Ford
Mustang Boss 302 ('12)
PTA*

Users who are viewing this thread