best platform?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The NASA Performance Touring rules for 2012 came out today. They are the same for Time Trials.

I am suprised that they gave the Boss 302 a PTA* which puts it dead equal to a C5Z06. However, the 3630lb minimum weight is going to kill its true potential. What that is saying, is NASA thinks it is better than the C5Z06 which is a PTA* at 3118.

Ford
Mustang Boss 302 ('12)
PTA*

Kevin:

Doesn't everyone know the Boss is a better car the the C5Z? ;-):poke:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
The NASA Performance Touring rules for 2012 came out today. They are the same for Time Trials.

I am suprised that they gave the Boss 302 a PTA* which puts it dead equal to a C5Z06. However, the 3630lb minimum weight is going to kill its true potential. What that is saying, is NASA thinks it is better than the C5Z06 which is a PTA* at 3118.

Ford
Mustang Boss 302 ('12)
PTA*

the weight seems silly, but what do i know. if you check the world challenge gts lap times from road atlanta in oct, they qualified at 1:30 and raced at 1:31/1:32.

boss 302 as a platform is probably better than a c5z06.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Kevin:

Doesn't everyone know the Boss is a better car the the C5Z? ;-):poke:

LOL, I am a little slow sometimes!!! Yeah, I am leaving the door open with that comment....

the weight seems silly, but what do i know. if you check the world challenge gts lap times from road atlanta in oct, they qualified at 1:30 and raced at 1:31/1:32.

boss 302 as a platform is probably better than a c5z06.

I think that is quite heavy as well. But it probably has a bit to do with the higher base horsepower as well. What do bone stock Boss put down to the ground? With the 8.7 hp:wt rule, I am not sure how light you can get with a stock hp level anyway.

Then again, there are ways to cap the HP peak on a car. I have it done to my Z06. Drive by wire is an excellent tuning tool. At WOT, my tuner has my throttle blade go to 87% from 4500-6000 in order to cap the hp peak.

-Kevin

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
LOL, I am a little slow sometimes!!! Yeah, I am leaving the door open with that comment....

I think that is quite heavy as well. But it probably has a bit to do with the higher base horsepower as well. What do bone stock Boss put down to the ground? With the 8.7 hp:wt rule, I am not sure how light you can get with a stock hp level anyway.

Then again, there are ways to cap the HP peak on a car. I have it done to my Z06. Drive by wire is an excellent tuning tool. At WOT, my tuner has my throttle blade go to 87% from 4500-6000 in order to cap the hp peak.

-Kevin

Boss 302 racing calibration i am told from several sources with world challenge comes in at 408whp. the street calibration i think is in the 390's

brkntrxn

Established Member
That right there, plus the rigidity of the chassis and 10+ years of additional automotive improvements probably explains the high weight penalty. Ideally, that means someone could by a new Boss, put pads and 275 A6s on it, and come run at the pointy end of the Time Trials "A" class. Without having to strip the car of its luxuries.

Not bad at all!!! You could probably drive that car to and from the track and still be somewhat competitive. There isn't a podium-worthy TTA car in the Mid-Atlanta nor Southeast division that isn't trailered to the track.

2013Boss302

Established Member
I enjoy tracking my 2011 RTR a shit ton. I have a blower and the car runs fine. I also daily drive my car. You can even ask RaceBronco he was out there last weekend with me having fun.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Not bad at all!!! You could probably drive that car to and from the track and still be somewhat competitive. There isn't a podium-worthy TTA car in the Mid-Atlanta nor Southeast division that isn't trailered to the track.

Just TTB (hee-hee-hee).

G_Lemke

Established Member
So the 2012 Lightning lap is out, with a 3:02.8 for the Boss.

Anybody know what a C5Zo6 can do at VIR?

Notable comparisons:
Corvette:

2011 Z06(Z07) is 2:53.
2008 Z06 is 2.58.2
2010 Grand Sport 2:58.5
2006 Z06 is 3:01.1
2008 Z51 is 3:01.2
2007 Z51 is 3:03.6
2006 Z51 is 3:09.3

Fastest previous mustang was a 2011 GT500 at 3:04

2011 GT 3:08.6

For those that think all S197 are the same, the 2010 GT had the same engine as the 2006 GT

2010 GT 3:13.3
2006 GT 3:20.9

And the biggest surprise on the list

2011 V6 Mustang 3:12.5 - Faster than a 2010 GT, even though it gave up 10 hp and had a speed limiter!

Lightning Lap 2011 - Feature - Page 8

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
:??:
So the 2012 Lightning lap is out, with a 3:02.8 for the Boss.

Anybody know what a C5Zo6 can do at VIR?

Notable comparisons:
Corvette:

2011 Z06(Z07) is 2:53.
2008 Z06 is 2.58.2
2010 Grand Sport 2:58.5
2006 Z06 is 3:01.1
2008 Z51 is 3:01.2
2007 Z51 is 3:03.6
2006 Z51 is 3:09.3

Fastest previous mustang was a 2011 GT500 at 3:04

2011 GT 3:08.6

For those that think all S197 are the same, the 2010 GT had the same engine as the 2006 GT

2010 GT 3:13.3
2006 GT 3:20.9

And the biggest surprise on the list

2011 V6 Mustang 3:12.5 - Faster than a 2010 GT, even though it gave up 10 hp and had a speed limiter!

Lightning Lap 2011 - Feature - Page 8

I'm just curious, but unless each of these runs was performed by the same driver during the same weather/conditions, how accurate are these comparisons between cars?

G_Lemke

Established Member
Each time is the fastest of the day with several "professional" drivers in each car.

Obviously some days are faster than others, but give or take a second or so the times are a useful comparison. i.e that 7.6 second GT difference is not all day or driver - it shows that the changes meant something.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Just goes to prove, lighter is better!

The other key factor in that V6 time is the Lightning laps are on the Grand course which combines Full and Patriot courses. Patriot is an autocross with a cliff in the middle and a ton of elevation changes where weight will penalize you. Horsepower does absolutely nothing for you on that course. Grand also takes a good 1000 feet out of the backstretch, thereby making horsepower even less important.

I wish they would do the comparison laps on Full course. But I am certain they do not because they don't want their times compared to the lap times of those of us that race the track a lot.

hurikane85

Established Member
How about and SVT Focus? I have seen a few local for really cheap in very good condition. I thought that would be a good starter platform. What class could that contest in? That way I could probably justify having that just as a track car.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Did you guys see the Mustang write-up in the latest Grassroots Motorsports magazine? I love what Tim and the crew puts in the pages, but the times they listed for the white Moss Motors Mustang is utter horsecrap. There is NO way that car will run a 2:06-2:08 lap time on VIR Full. It might have a little bit of boost in power, but it is still a full weight street car. No way. The times for all of the other Mustangs were dead on because they have actually ran those times and I have watched at least three of those cars run those times. But no way on that white car.

-Kevin

David Hester

Established Member
How about and SVT Focus? I have seen a few local for really cheap in very good condition. I thought that would be a good starter platform. What class could that contest in? That way I could probably justify having that just as a track car.

Fun car. Like a Go Kart. I ran a couple of track days with mine at VIR. Chased down Porsches, BMW's and a Corvette.
RheacerMotorsports
Check out focaljet and search links to gary k. He raced NASA and some other group. Died several years ago. great guy. Robb Holland raced one several years. Leo Capaldi used to set them up. too. Leo set up Mustang Challenge cars when it was active, and I believe is doing Grand Am now.
Picture006.jpg

hurikane85

Established Member
Thanks for all the info, I think I should walk before I run. I am going to start hunting down a little svt focus.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Did you guys see the Mustang write-up in the latest Grassroots Motorsports magazine? I love what Tim and the crew puts in the pages, but the times they listed for the white Moss Motors Mustang is utter horsecrap. There is NO way that car will run a 2:06-2:08 lap time on VIR Full. It might have a little bit of boost in power, but it is still a full weight street car. No way. The times for all of the other Mustangs were dead on because they have actually ran those times and I have watched at least three of those cars run those times. But no way on that white car.

-Kevin

I think they meant Patriot Full course. :lol:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Fun car. Like a Go Kart. I ran a couple of track days with mine at VIR. Chased down Porsches, BMW's and a Corvette.
RheacerMotorsports
Check out focaljet and search links to gary k. He raced NASA and some other group. Died several years ago. great guy. Robb Holland raced one several years. Leo Capaldi used to set them up. too. Leo set up Mustang Challenge cars when it was active, and I believe is doing Grand Am now.
Picture006.jpg

Gary was a hoot, and his car was fast. He gave me a ride at an SVTOA at Summit way back.

David Hester

Established Member
Yeah. He was one of a kind. We only met face to face three times at VIR, but were in constant contact by email. I even signed up for that Summit-Beaver Run, whatever series. We were going do enduros, but he had the back problem and then the surgery. Rupert was a character, too.;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread