Best spark plug for 01 Lightning

stang23456

Yellow terminator
Established Member
Just purchased 01 Lightning with 69k miles. First questions is, what maintance should I do off the bat ? Owner said he just changed oil and fuel filter. Should I do spark plugs, if yes, what kind ? Anything else ?

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
NGK TR6 is what most of us around here run. If the plugs havent been changed b4 then I'd say go ahead and replace them, however, I'd recommend letting a mechanic change them for you the #4 and #8 can be a pain to get to.

stang23456

Yellow terminator
Established Member
NGK TR6 is what most of us around here run. If the plugs havent been changed b4 then I'd say go ahead and replace them, however, I'd recommend letting a mechanic change them for you the #4 and #8 can be a pain to get to.

Well I dont know if they have been changed or not !

Jroc

Established Member
TR6's here.

When you go to an auto parts store, and tell them you want some NGK TR6's they may be like WTF. Tell them you want NGK #4177.(4177 is the stock #) Look over the box and it will say "TR6" and "4177" in big #'s on the sides of it.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member

#3 is also aggravating, and #7 is a straight up bitch to change.

OP also checking the air filter is a good idea.

tistan

Established Member
He did say best plug. Desno Iridiums will give you a much smoother ride and idle than tr6s. They should since they cost 5x more than TR6s.

Jroc

Established Member
I would rather just run a copper plug for boosted apps. JMO.

funair02

Established Member
may want to see my thread titled Help I think I really screwed up concerning TR6s...

Yea I know everyone runs them, but I had one break...

Since I am a stocker, I went back to the Plat. Motorcrafts -- they are performing well

:beer:

danSVTlightning

Established Member
brist racing is what i run, they have bin a good plug for me and my mods ...mmr 800 long block,4 lb lower, 60#injectors..ect

Users who are viewing this thread