Best stock replacement speakers?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
So can you swap the factory amp and run different 8s in the doors? Do you know which ones will fit in the door?

Yes, but it would be tough to fit anything useful in the stock location so I wouldn't call it a swap. I just used the factory line out as a signal source and a new amp in the trunk.

Factory Amp Plug:
Shaker_amp_wiring_zps0918e834.jpg

Do you know which ones will fit in the door?
I used JL Audio ZR800's (8" midbass/sub) but have been told any of these will fit the stock location:

JL ZR800
Dayton RS130
Vifa XT25 or LPG DA25

Stock vs 800's:
MidbassComparison.jpg

MidbassComparison2.jpg

Installed:
ZR800Fitment2.jpg

ZR800Grill1.jpg

ZRLogo.jpg

You need to do some very minor trimming on the grill for everything to fit right but otherwise it's P&P. The factory shell will sit very slightly above the surface of the panel but no one will ever notice.

And do the 13s have component speakers in the door?
Yes, but only in the most basic sense.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Kicker Audio 6x8 Speakers

2 pairs of these and call it a day. They have the factory connectors on them so they're plug n' play if you don't want to mess with the wiring. Honestly I ran these for a week or two on the Shaker 500 factory setup and while it sounded better, I wanted way more. I ended up just doing a zx350.4 amp, 4 farad cap, LOC and ran my own wires. Well worth the time and effort.

Shelby Kicker 4.1 Channel Amp

You could also consider this Shelby amp that is designed to either work with the factory amp or replace it entirely. I have NAV and Shaker so I couldn't use this piece, but I've heard its a considerable improvement over the factory amp.

Will those speakers work with the shaker?

acrbill

Established Member
I put some Alpine 6.5" component speakers up front and it made a nice difference on my premium car. I put the tweeters in the door panel.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I put some Alpine 6.5" component speakers up front and it made a nice difference on my premium car. I put the tweeters in the door panel.

I am considering doing this. Did you have to fabricate a bracket to make the 6.5 fit in the factory 6x8 location?

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
So they are not a 6x8 in the doors? What size are they then?

These are in the doors of the '13 with the shaker stereo. To switch to a 6x8", I believe a speaker bracket from an 05-12 will work. I can dig up the part number of the ones I ordered if you need it.
6DC38E7E-54BB-406D-A4D9-05F206E8A034-1582-000000657B27F6D5.jpg

CE5E11BD-B711-46D8-9516-335DD111A46A-1582-00000065762644CA.jpg

mhyjek

Established Member
Thanks looks like a 5 and 1/4 ? do you have nav? BTW it looks like the mount of the enclosure uses the 6x8 of the previous years.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
K buy me a pair on you! LOL

I like this site so much. My new favorite. "I have a pubic hair caught in my shfingtermeter, how do I get the hair out and fix my problem"....... You simply .........:banana: A fix for everything on this site. Hope I didn't just break the PG-13 rule!??

Last edited:

absolut123

Established Member
Can u change the 8" door speakers without taking the door panel off ? It looked like in that pic the grill comes off.

R u running the new jl speakers off the stock amp

Poppacapp

Established Member
I like this site so much. My new favorite. "I have a pubic hair caught in my shfingtermeter, how do I get the hair out and fix my problem"....... You simply .........:banana: A fix for everything on this site. Hope I didn't just break the PG-13 rule!??

The dancing banana know no pain.... the dancing banana know it will always be the answer. The dancing banana is our king.

:banana:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Can u change the 8" door speakers without taking the door panel off ? It looked like in that pic the grill comes off.

No, there is a bolt which runs through the door panel enclosure and into the back of the speaker. This can't be used with the new speaker so I just sealed it off from both sides.
StockEnclosure.jpg

R u running the new jl speakers off the stock amp

You can't effectively use the factory amp as it's configured for the 1.2ohm dvc factory woofer. On top of that they apparently use some odd phasing as well. I just mounted a small JL amp on the underside of the rear shelf. I did tap in to the factory wiring as it's a PITA to run wires into the doors.

XD200/2 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio

I wasn't sure if it was going to be worth all the effort but fortunately it's a night and day difference from the factory hi-distortion, low sq setup. I can't say enough good things about the ZR800's. They're impressive speakers. And they seem very happy in the factory enclosures as well.

mhyjek

Established Member
Yes, but it would be tough to fit anything useful in the stock location so I wouldn't call it a swap. I just used the factory line out as a signal source and a new amp in the trunk.

Factory Amp Plug:
Shaker_amp_wiring_zps0918e834.jpg

I used JL Audio ZR800's (8" midbass/sub) but have been told any of these will fit the stock location:

JL ZR800
Dayton RS130
Vifa XT25 or LPG DA25

Stock vs 800's:
MidbassComparison.jpg

MidbassComparison2.jpg

Installed:
ZR800Fitment2.jpg

ZR800Grill1.jpg

ZRLogo.jpg

You need to do some very minor trimming on the grill for everything to fit right but otherwise it's P&P. The factory shell will sit very slightly above the surface of the panel but no one will ever notice.

Yes, but only in the most basic sense.

Awesome! I want to get something straight so after switching the amp did you wire it back to the harness so you could use existing wiring or did you run new speaker wire? If you ran new wire any short cuts? Did you keep existing front doors or did you change them out too if yes what kind?
Thanks

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I tied into the existing wiring at the amp plug as it's not much fun running new wires into the doors. I did use both sets of the factory wires and just crimped both into a single connector. Again, there are two sets of wires to each factory speaker due to the dvc setup. This also allowed me to keep the factory seal/grommet in the speaker enclosure. Pic in post 34 kind of expains all this. Unfortunately you do have to cut the factory wiring but it saves a lot of time and frustration.

I replaced the upper door speakers with JL C5's. They aren't the cheapest but sound great once they've broken in a little. At some point I want to play around with tweeter location but not been at the top of my priority list.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I went with Infinity Reference 6829CF all around on mine. Built-in crossover on them with room to be amped later on if I decide. On the stock HU, it made a pretty solid improvement all around.

Nuar

Established Member
I'm debating on upgrading the interrior speakers on my premium 2013.
What do you guys think? full range speakers? (i'm thinking of doing JL C2-570X)
or should I hack up the factory bracket and try to do a component speaker setup in place of the tweeter, mid speaker?

mhyjek

Established Member
I went with Infinity Reference 6829CF all around on mine. Built-in crossover on them with room to be amped later on if I decide. On the stock HU, it made a pretty solid improvement all around.
This what I'm going to do 1st because my main complaint is the lack of midrange and treble but who can't use more bass so I will probably end up doing the new 8s and amp!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Watching this thread.. if anybody is interested the Shaker Pro sub has a Pioneer tag on it, pioneer ts-07907zfs1. It's probably not worth modding something else into the plastic sub box though.

Users who are viewing this thread