• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

best transmission fluid for '04 cobra?

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by pgrimlock, Dec 23, 2007.

1. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 Active Member Established Member

Put what the factory recommends in it and quit worrying about it, I've seen more transmissions screw up and more shift problems because of the wrong fluid than anything else out there.
    Instead of brass synchros many of these transmissions use a material like you would find in an automatic on the friction disc, saturate them with the wrong fluid and you get to rebuild it. The only thing we do different in the race car is use a synthetic equivalent of the same spec, mostly because of the heat generated, which BTW we also have coolers on the transmissions.

2. da5deuce

da5deuce heatsoaked Established Member

Thanks

3. SWEET03COBRA

SWEET03COBRA damn this wheel hop! Established Member

so everyone still liking the mobil 1 ATV?

4. Jduane

Jduane New Member Established Member

5. SWEET03COBRA

Well I live way up north, hope that isn't a factor, was about to order

6. KLLR SNK

KLLR SNK Active Member Established Member

I just switched to Amsoil Torque Drive at Tractionless1's suggestion. So far, I like it better than the oem fluid.

7. FiveOhJoe

FiveOhJoe Member Established Member

I used Amsoil ATF and now I have to rebuild my transmission. The T56 is unique, so use the correct fluids. I am switching to Amsoil Syncromesh after my trans gets rebuilt.

8. SWEET03COBRA

Well I used pensoil synchromesh before so maybe I should stic with that.

9. BoostedByV

BoostedByV No Fly By ZONE Established Member

I'm about to do my fluid change and my mechanic said to just go with plain motor oil. anyone ever heard of anything like that?
    im leaning towards mobil 1

10. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

I had Pennzoil synchromesh which helped better than the oem stuff. Then I switched to royal purple synchromax and that seemed even better than the synchromesh!

11. SWEET03COBRA

Maybe I will go with rp then, after a week of researching u are the first person that said engine oil, sounds kind of fishy.

12. BoostedByV

BoostedByV No Fly By ZONE Established Member

fishy to me as well ,thats why i came to SVTP:shrug:

I'm going mobil 1

13. BLU3VN0M

BLU3VN0M SVT Addict Established Member

Ever think your mechanic might want the big $$$ when he gets to rebuild your tranny after using motor oil in it? :dw:

14. highcompression

highcompression ...who ? Established Member

I know I'm dragging out a older thread, but I'd like to express my background. I've been rebuilding transmissions for -/+ 10 years now (less and less the older I get, lol). I've had a great working relationship with some of the biggest names in the business (where most of you send yours out to). Anyhow, I've done more GM and Ford T56's then I could even begin to count and this is my thought on fluids, and my personal expirences with different fluids ............

* cheaper, non synthetic, parts store brand (I know it's made by a reputable source, but to what specification ?): works well when warm, can make internal noise a little more audible then other fluids. Won't hurt a thing, and technically what Ford/Tremec recommend.

* Royal Purple: I have personally witnessed it make a non grinding trans grind. It's good stuff for the bearings, TOO slippery for the synchronizers to do their job. The factory Timkin bearings are extremely tough and will take quite a beating for 100k+ miles. It's the synchronizers and their ability to effectively "stop" the next gear, that's the key factor in this "fluid" topic.

* Mobil1: I'm a big fan of particular M1 products, have been for many years (I'm not going to get into API ratings and such .... They're the same as oils 2x their price). Always had great luck. When I do a fresh rebuild with known good synchronizers and bearings, it's the fluid of my choice and have gotten excellent feedback with customers.

* Synchromesh: excellent stuff ! About the same viscosity as ATF (approx a 30w). It's actually a pretty well engineered product. It slightly "swells" the blocker rings, thus giving you a better shift (and that equates to less internal wear). Very good choice for a trans with miles on it, or some customers have asked if it was ok with their new trans ..... Absoutely, but still prefer M1 on a fresh rebuild.

GM has been running synchromesh in their T56's since the introduction. I can personally tell you that there's no specific differences to speak of between the Ford VS GM trans, nothing that pertains to "this" topic anyway. I highly recommend GM synchromesh ! It's what I run in my personal cars. I realize that Pennzoil makes Synchromesh and is 1/2 the price .... Seems to me there IS a difference though: the color, the smell, just seems like a slightly different fluid (for the better, but I cannot confirm differences in the 2). That said I run to local GM dealer .... Again, to each their own on that one. Nothing wrong with Pennzoil's stuff though, I'd recommend it any day over a uber slippery synthetic fluid.

There's a fine line here fellas ..... You want some slick synthetics for the bearing life, but you NEED more friction to make the blocker rings do their job. The blocker rings is what gives the transmission it's "characteristics". That said, to me, those super high dollar synthetics is like this: great for bearings, horrible on blocker rings.

Food for thought. My car is going on dyno tomorrow after a long hibernation .... Plan on doing a full fluid swap on it today including Pennzoil Sychromesh in the trans.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  15. SWEET03COBRA

Thanks for the info. I finished up my clutch a couple of weeks ago and put pensoil synchromesh back in, I figured it worked fine before so why mess with it, now after reading your post I am glad I did

16. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Interesting. I'm an Amsoil guy myself and I wasn't aware that the Torque Drive was spec'd for our T56. Will definitely try it out in the future. My personal experience is that the current RP Synchromax I have in the tranny was a signifficant upgrade over the Amsoil Automatic ATF that is spec'd for Dexron III. I did not like how the T56 shifted with the Amsoil automatic ATF. Will have to try the Torque Drive at the appropriate time.

17. BMR Tech

BMR Tech Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

When speaking with Don Sr/Jr at D&D - they have told me that the Synchromesh/max "works" in the Ford T56, but they do not prefer it.

Don Jr told me personally, he is a fan of the Redline ATF. He said after some very extensive heat cycles, it just holds up better. He told me to just run the OEM Spec non-syn in my T56.

The person who recently freshened my trans also told me to run the non-syn OEM spec fluid. He also has many many years of experience building transmissions.

Again, thanks for sharing! Your info matches what I have been told - except the people who have told me what fluids to run, recommended the plain Jane fluid and the Redline over the Synchromesh/max.

18. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Do it again and I'll make it real Established Member

Amsoil Sig. Series ATF I just put in mine so far I like it.

19. Sanchez209

Sanchez209 New Member Established Member

Atf !???

Mobil 1 ATF? But ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid it don't make sense as the t56 is manual transmission? I'm about to do my tranny oil change for first time but idk which one to get and how much....

20. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

4 quarts and it's ATF.