Best turbo kit?

infidel0910

Established Member
Hey all, looking to go turbo in the future and was wondering what was the best turbo kit out there? Don't really have time to build one. Any input is appreciated.

Ironhand

Banned
Hellion & Jason Roth(TRBO VNM). That is where I would put my money if I were to do a turbo kit.

infidel0910

Established Member
My main concern is reliability. I have heard things about low mounted turbos about the oil supply having problems returning to the pan? Any merit?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
My main concern is reliability. I have heard things about low mounted turbos about the oil supply having problems returning to the pan? Any merit?

Thank God you did your research, If I had I wouldnt of gotten this retarded hellion kit. To actually make it reliable you will need 2 scavage pumps and practically no restrictors which could cause blow through with oil that gets on your MAF an causes more issues. Besides all that unless your looking for a sleeper it makes your engine bay look completely stock and bare.

On that note, there a company on here all the time who makes them to order that takes a while but they are mounted in the engine bay up high, look great and perform very well. Them with a bad ass sullivans intake and your good to go. Just make sure you get the Tial 50mm BOV and the eboost 2 boost controller.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Im very happy with my single Hellion kit. Depending your what power your looking for I wouldnt bother with twins unless your looking for 1000+.

infidel0910

Established Member
That's what I'm talkin about, I've heard the scavenger pumps are needed if the turbo(s) are mounted low, I don't really need a sleeper or empty engine bay, I'm just concerned about reliability.

If the low mounts are really that much of a problem, then I have no problem with a high mount single or twin setup.

Anybody use the hpp twins or hellion single ( high mount), what are your results, any issues?

itSSlow98

Established Member
If was was to do low mount turbos I would no doubt go with Comp's new oiless turbos(self contained oiling). They are maintenance free for 50k miles then they need to be sent back to have the oil changed but well worth no oil lines or scavenge pumps.

infidel0910

Established Member
Just checked out comps site. Looks interesting, except for the fact of them having to make a custom turbo kit for my cobra, and who knows how much that will cost.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Just have it custom made. I made the mistake of buying that ridiculously shitty HP performance kit and kept dumping money into it to fix their problems. I ended up selling it and just designed it the way I wanted it. Take my advice, take the time to do it right once and be done with it. :beer:

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Just checked out comps site. Looks interesting, except for the fact of them having to make a custom turbo kit for my cobra, and who knows how much that will cost.

Just buy a kit and sell the turbos, they will build the turbos speced to what youw ant but you dont get the kit from them.

infidel0910

Established Member
So, the problem is not with the manufacturer, but with the lubrication system of the turbos? hmmm. Ive heard good and bad for just about every turbo kit maker, as to be expected, but the most positive names that keep coming up are Hellion and HPP. Has anyone run into problems with the high mounted single hellion kit for 03-04's? Or the HPP kit for that matter?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
hpp is the kit I was talking about..

I have the complete hellion twin 64mm ball bearing billet wheel turbo kit and after a couple thousand miles they had to be rebuilt. I sent them to Reed at Work Turbochargers and he rebuilt them with Garret internals. Problem is to max the life with these turbos they need ALOT of oil to cool them down but with the no restrictors im getting oil passing the seals.. Its hell.

Do a high mount kit!

TRBO VNM

hpp is the kit I was talking about..

I have the complete hellion twin 64mm ball bearing billet wheel turbo kit and after a couple thousand miles they had to be rebuilt. I sent them to Reed at Work Turbochargers and he rebuilt them with Garret internals. Problem is to max the life with these turbos they need ALOT of oil to cool them down but with the no restrictors im getting oil passing the seals.. Its hell.

Do a high mount kit!

what brand turbo's?

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
They were turbonetics which i know are bottom of the barrel but come on, a few thousand miles... Reed said one of them was so out of balance it was crazy

Driver500

Established Member
Turbohorsepower.com

Jim is the owner and usually the guy to answer the phone. He was originally part of HP, but left and started his own company. His redesign fixed the oil drainback issues by placing the turbos front and center.

Top notch service, a great product, and proven results.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
To be honest and do not take this the wrong way. Your question sucks

Asking what is the best turbo kit, is like asking what brand car is the best. There is no answer.

What do you want out of a kit?

Are you looking for ease of install, which makes the most power, nicest looking, best fitment etc? There are SOOO many options depending on what your goals are.

TRBO VNM

They were turbonetics which i know are bottom of the barrel but come on, a few thousand miles... Reed said one of them was so out of balance it was crazy

I was just asking. Honestly, there have been very few out of all the kits I have sold that have had issues. I never called turbonetics about it, but when I bought a precision I asked about the oil pressure and explained that our cars see higher pressures than typical. They told me they are tested ok over 100 psi and 70-80psi spikes wouldn't be a problem. I actually put a gauge on my feed line at the turbo just to see what the pressure would be at cold idle compared to at the block and it was about 10 psi lower.

Anyway, the twin kit comes with a scavenge pump unlike some other kits with low mount turbo's. you are the first person I have read about that has put two pumps on the kit.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I was just asking. Honestly, there have been very few out of all the kits I have sold that have had issues. I never called turbonetics about it, but when I bought a precision I asked about the oil pressure and explained that our cars see higher pressures than typical. They told me they are tested ok over 100 psi and 70-80psi spikes wouldn't be a problem. I actually put a gauge on my feed line at the turbo just to see what the pressure would be at cold idle compared to at the block and it was about 10 psi lower.

Anyway, the twin kit comes with a scavenge pump unlike some other kits with low mount turbo's. you are the first person I have read about that has put two pumps on the kit.

I had to design a sump for my scavenge pump to eliminate drain back issues, it did the job but I just hated the kit, why spend boatloads on a kit that can't be shown off?

Users who are viewing this thread