Best way to tune my cobra

L8R-G8R

Established Member
So guys I bought a 03 cobra the other day with 16,xxx miles. The guy had a chip on it already when i bought. He told me it was a mail tune.
Anyways, I took the car to the emissions test and it failed. Here are the reasons why:

1. Hight HC readings are a result of unburned or partially burned fuel.

2. High CO readings accour when the air/fuel mixture is too rich.

3. Hight NOx readings are the result of high combustion temperatures and/or high combustion pressures.

Im thinking/hoping its the tune. Would you guys agree? What is the best programmer tool to tune this cars with?

Thanks!

p.s: I'm in Colorado

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
It's the tune. Dump the chip and get a Predator or SCT. You can take it back to stock tune for the test then have it Dyno tuned again with the handheld.

Last edited:

L8R-G8R

Established Member
Thanks guys thats what i was hoping as answers... Now all i need to know is Predator or SCT?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
More tuners around my area use SCT...get a xcal2 that way you can return it to stock before emissions etc...

L8R-G8R

Established Member
thanks guys! One more question... Where is the best place to get an SCT at?

Thanks again.

mrose75

Established Member
Check the Market Section of this site. People are usually selling them. Can't remember if the SCT does it, but make sure it isn't married to the seller's car. Otherwise your fuct!

L8R-G8R

Established Member
Check the Market Section of this site. People are usually selling them. Can't remember if the SCT does it, but make sure it isn't married to the seller's car. Otherwise your fuct!

Thanks Ill make sure.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
What consist of "Full exhaust?"

If that means no cats, or catalytic converters, then thats your problem right there. Your first post made me think, "No cats." thats why I mentioned.

Did they even do a visual on it? It should have failed that from the get go.

Ohh Thank GOD! I live in FL.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Give Justin at VMP Tuning a call.
He can get you a SCT XCAL 2 or 3 with a mail order tune based upon your mods.
Your mods are simple so a great tune set up for your car is easy.
As the others have said return your car to stock tune (no chip), get reinspected, pass then put your new tune in and enjoy the power of you newly tuned Cobra.
Congrats on your new car!!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
You could also just keep the chip and just send it off to get it tuned, you already have it why not save the coin?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Cold air kit
Full exhuast starting with long tubes
upper supercharger pulley
SRA

And that chip he had burned for it.

umm DURR!

you wont pass ANY sniffer unless you have cats in place. Did the smog tech even look under the car? All things INSTANTLY led me to believe the lack of catalytics over a bad tune. You can get away with a quite many mods with the stock H-pipe in place, but you cant get away with ANYTHING without it, you will fail to the nth degree every time, its what they are there for.

some have passed with aftermarket or high flow and a good tune however. Ive yet to see it personally, i failed horribly with a Bassani Catted X when i sold my car the first time (later bought it back lol) and a dynotune at the time. The guy smogging it said i might as well have no cats on there, and all that the aftermarket or high-flow cats are for are legality purposes and noise reduction.

L8R-G8R

Established Member
Do you guys really think is my exhaust? That would be so cool if it is since I have the stock exhuast. My full exhaust consists of long tube headers, High flow catalyc converters on an H pipe. Magnaflow mufflers.

L8R-G8R

Established Member
There is your answer, its probably a "canned" tune. It is running rich, get a real tune and you will be fine.

thats what im thinking. Im going to do that. I already ordered a sct xcal2, hopefully that fixes my problems.

Thanks to all you guys!

mysticalsnake

Established Member
thinking logically, if the tune that on the car is spot on AFR trims as to what the stock tune is, the you are seeing the exact same amount of fuel/air ration in the pipes. not saying that is anywhere near 100% correct...but from a logical standpoint.

although i realize that the cat-converters are there to lower your CO output into the environment, and if they have that big of an effect really...then find what numbers on the CO reading a cobra puts out bone stock and see if you can't get your tuner to load you a tune on there to match those as best as possible...just don't EVER get on the car in the least bit until after you leave and change back to your performance tune.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I've known several people to pass emissions testing with no cats, as long as they had a good tune. Once you get that Xcal, give Rick @ Amazon a call at 864-332-0955. He's been doing email tuning for years and has been doing all my tuning for the last three years.

Users who are viewing this thread