Better performer, 03/04 Terminator or GT500

Which is the better performing car, the 03/04 Terminator or the GT500

• The Terminator, lighter weight and IRS rear.

Votes: 183 26.3%
  • GT500, 450 plus HP and SRA rear.

Votes: 371 53.2%
  • Who cares???

Votes: 144 20.7%

• Total voters

Fourcam330

Established Member
miatafreak said:
yes it has i beams from the f150 motor. they're good for maybe 500rwhp and that's pushing it. just another kick in the balls to the enthusiast from tang.

What F150 motor ever came with cracked FORGED I beams? :shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
miatafreak said:
yes it cuts back on power as soon as it senses tire slip.

You're kidding right? It's electronic throttle control with a delay, not traction control. It's very easily remedied with a tune.
MustangWorld.com called, they want their village idiot back.

Fourcam330

Established Member
youngster said:
so its not as good as the terminator motor? stock for making maximum hp like 900+?

The 4340 H beams found in '03/04s are good to 750 continuous crank HP, and not over 7000rpm (with that power).
Oliver/Carillo billet steel rods hold ~1400 flywheel HP, Manley billet ultralights are a little lighter/thinner in the neck section and are good for 1200HP.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Got this off a web site for the Lightning, hope it explains what "cracked forged" means.

LIGHTNING's 5.4 : gets typical forged connecting rods. They can be re-sized. REGULAR F-150 5.4 : gets "CRACKED CAP" forged rods. This means that the rod is made in one peice and then a machine "CRACKS" the rod cap off to make it seperate. The only draw back to this set-up is that a "CRACKED CAP" rod can NOT be re-sized if you want to rebuild the engine. You must buy new rods. They are said to be good to 6000RPM. They are really strong but not quite as strong as the LIGHTNING's forged rods.
I don't see these being a problem at the stock HP levels but push the motor past the stock level and you may be asking for trouble. I don't plan on moding my GT500 so it's not that big of a concern for me.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Got this off a web site for the Lightning, hope it explains what "cracked forged" means.

LIGHTNING's 5.4 : gets typical forged connecting rods. They can be re-sized. REGULAR F-150 5.4 : gets "CRACKED CAP" forged rods. This means that the rod is made in one peice and then a machine "CRACKS" the rod cap off to make it seperate. The only draw back to this set-up is that a "CRACKED CAP" rod can NOT be re-sized if you want to rebuild the engine. You must buy new rods. They are said to be good to 6000RPM. They are really strong but not quite as strong as the LIGHTNING's forged rods.
I don't see these being a problem at the stock HP levels but push the motor past the stock level and you may be asking for trouble. I don't plan on moding my GT500 so it's not that big of a concern for me.

Regular 5.4s have cracked PM rods, not forged.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Regular 5.4s have cracked PM rods, not forged.

That's what I thought but at least it gives us an idea as to what "cracked forged" means. I pulled that off a web site for the Lightning. What I take it to mean is that instead of the connecting rod being forged as two seperate pieces and then machined and honed to fit together, the cracked rod is forged as one piece and then the top is "cracked" off by a machine. It's supposed to cut down manufacturing costs and the two pieces are said to fit together better. :shrug:

Any way, if you have another resource that explains it better please post a link as I want to learn more about this process.

Thanks!!!

Fourcam330

Established Member
miatafreak said:
actually 3v 5.4 and shelby have the same shortblock. the only thing different is shelby has dished pistons.

No they don't. The reg. spec 5.4 has a cast crank, PM rods, and hypereuctectic pistons.
Shelby has a forged crank, forged cracked rods, and forged pistons.

Fourcam330

Established Member
03Terminator said:
That's what I thought but at least it gives us an idea as to what "cracked forged" means. I pulled that off a web site for the Lightning. What I take it to mean is that instead of the connecting rod being forged as two seperate pieces and then machined and honed to fit together, the cracked rod is forged as one piece and then the top is "cracked" off by a machine. It's supposed to cut down manufacturing costs and the two pieces are said to fit together better. :shrug:

Any way, if you have another resource that explains it better please post a link as I want to learn more about this process.

Thanks!!!

There was never any question on my part as to the definition of a cracked rod. Just the use of said rods in different vehicles.

miatafreak

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
No they don't. The reg. spec 5.4 has a cast crank, PM rods, and hypereuctectic pistons.
Shelby has a forged crank, forged cracked rods, and forged pistons.

well i don't know who told you that but they're dead wrong.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
There was never any question on my part as to the definition of a cracked rod. Just the use of said rods in different vehicles.

So in your opinion, wouldn't the cracked forged rod be stronger because it's forged out of one piece of metal instead of two different pieces vs the traditional forged rod??? The 03/04 Cobra's had pretty tuff bottom ends so I don't see this motor being any different. Especially with the head screw up with the 03/04's. Not trying to get into any argument here, just my 2 cents.

Fourcam330

Established Member
03Terminator said:
So in your opinion, wouldn't the cracked forged rod be stronger because it's forged out of one piece of metal instead of two different pieces vs the traditional forged rod??? The 03/04 Cobra's had pretty tuff bottom ends so I don't see this motor being any different. Especially with the head screw up with the 03/04's. Not trying to get into any argument here, just my 2 cents.

It really all depends what the rod is made of and how it's forged. As I said before as of a few years ago, PM rods were absolute junk, now there are versions that can sustain 800HP.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
It really all depends what the rod is made of and how it's forged. As I said before as of a few years ago, PM rods were absolute junk, now there are versions that can sustain 800HP.

Dam, I didn't think they could handle that much power!!! :eek: That's crazy!!! Of course Ford would never put some thing like that in a Mustang, it would cost too much money. :dw:

youngster

Established Member
if the terminator rods r only good for 750 how r the turbod cars wit 800-900 plus?

Fourcam330

Established Member
Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should...

youngster said:
if the terminator rods r only good for 750 how r the turbod cars wit 800-900 plus?

Regardless of how people use them, the 4340 H beams are only "rated" for 750 continuous HP. RPM plays a large roll in the longevity of connecting rods, especially on longer stroke motors such as Modulars. For instance, even though a forged H beam would have been strong enough to take the HP my N/A 5.5 puts out, I would only have been able to spin the motor to 7000rpm, or with a 4.6 8000rpm. Billet steel rods have been tested to 9200rpm in 4.6s and 8100rpm in 5.4s.
Brian Bradford ran for 3+ years at 550-600rwhp on the stock 98 shortblock (PM rods, hypereuc pistons) before it took a dump. Does that mean everyone should do it? Hell no.
Rod bolts are also of paramount importance. I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable using said H beams in a 800HP motor if 7/16" ARP 2000 rod bolts were used. However with respect to long term durability, I personally wouldn't try to save any $ by skimping on the rotating assembly.
You also have to keep in mind that those 800-900 HP Modular motors with forged rods, and especially those with the stock pistons, haven't been running for very long, and that NOTHING lives reliably at 950rwhp+. The parts are simply too stressed.

Last edited:

youngster

Established Member
oooooo but for the gt500 to run say a kb/whipple ( if it doesnt come with one) and get up like 650 whp u need to get to connecting rods?

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I've gotten one thing outta this thread and that is that miatafreak is a moron and does not have a clue what he is talking about. :burn:

Paul

Fourcam330

Established Member
youngster said:
oooooo but for the gt500 to run say a kb/whipple ( if it doesnt come with one) and get up like 650 whp u need to get to connecting rods?

Yes the GT500 is coming with a twin screw 2.3L blower. The KB article to the contrary is old news. Honestly, I'll have to see the rods first hand before making a judgement on them.

Users who are viewing this thread