Better performer, 03/04 Terminator or GT500

Which is the better performing car, the 03/04 Terminator or the GT500

• The Terminator, lighter weight and IRS rear.

Votes: 183 26.3%
  • GT500, 450 plus HP and SRA rear.

Votes: 371 53.2%
  • Who cares???

Votes: 144 20.7%

• Total voters

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
grandestang said:
I've gotten one thing outta this thread and that is that miatafreak is a moron and does not have a clue what he is talking about. :burn:

Paul

:bored: yep...

Kinda "tipped his hand" there didn't he? :nonono:

He may not be a moron(smackdown term)... but he does seem to be lacking in technical knowledge of Modular current events. :shrug:

Jimmy :pop:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
I have been following the development of the Shelby from years ago..
And have discussed it endlessly on several sites..

I just want to say one thing..
Most of what "miatafreak" has stated about the Shelby is FALSE. Im not sure why he is spreading rumors and dis-information, but a look at his posts, especially in this thread concerning the Shelby using the F150 shortblock, is just outright wrong. As long as everyone realizes that, I have no problems otherwise..

Fourcam seems to really know his sh*t. I come on here often, looking at his comments, and he is always spot on, and if he is not sure about something, he says so.. Just wanted you to know your comments, and many others, are appreciated on here.

Carry on with the great discussion!

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
:bored: yep...

Kinda "tipped his hand" there didn't he? :nonono:

He may not be a moron(smackdown term)... but he does seem to be lacking in technical knowledge of Modular current events. :shrug:

Jimmy :pop:

True on the smackdown term :bash: , however its really frustrating when someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about simply won't back down.

Paul :beer:

youngster

Established Member
but y in the motortrend magazine it says it will have an eaton i wasnt talkin bout the kb site

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
youngster said:
but y in the motortrend magazine it says it will have an eaton i wasnt talkin bout the kb site

Because the KB site is DATED and WRONG.

There is a thread on this.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Purvis said:
I have been following the development of the Shelby from years ago..
And have discussed it endlessly on several sites..

I just want to say one thing..
Most of what "miatafreak" has stated about the Shelby is FALSE. Im not sure why he is spreading rumors and dis-information, but a look at his posts, especially in this thread concerning the Shelby using the F150 shortblock, is just outright wrong. As long as everyone realizes that, I have no problems otherwise..

Fourcam seems to really know his sh*t. I come on here often, looking at his comments, and he is always spot on, and if he is not sure about something, he says so.. Just wanted you to know your comments, and many others, are appreciated on here.

Carry on with the great discussion!

Yep, FourCam330 does indeed know his shit. He's also not shy to correct someone who doesn't know the facts. His positive input is invaluable to this forum, unlike some of the whiners here with their negativism. :beer:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
Yep, FourCam330 does indeed know his shit. He's also not shy to correct someone who doesn't know the facts. His positive input is invaluable to this forum, unlike some of the whiners here with their negativism. :beer:

Ditto, on everything.

As for what I kinda expect with the GT500 - I think it will be very much underrated just like the '03/'04 was. Seeing as 480hp was already thrown around at that SAE meeting, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing put 440 to 450 to the wheels and ran low-12's at 115+ off the showroom floor. I have no doubt that a DOHC 5.4 litre SC'ed engine with the best flowing heads made yet can hit that number. Just think how badly the terminators were underrated - 390 when they were putting out 360 to 380 RWHP. Also, I'm interested in seeing what kind of rear end they put in this thing. I saw in one thread when the specs on the car were first released that the final drive ratio was 3.31 - that looks to me like a 9-inch ratio, not the regular 8.8. I don't put too much faith in the specs I've seen so far, I bet they will change a little before the cars start rolling off the line. But regardless, I'm placing my bet on the GT500 to lay waste to the terminator, stock to stock. As amazing as the '03 cobra was/is, this thing is going to be a monster with even more potential.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Wylde Horses said:
Ditto, on everything.

As for what I kinda expect with the GT500 - I think it will be very much underrated just like the '03/'04 was. Seeing as 480hp was already thrown around at that SAE meeting, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing put 440 to 450 to the wheels and ran low-12's at 115+ off the showroom floor. I have no doubt that a DOHC 5.4 litre SC'ed engine with the best flowing heads made yet can hit that number. Just think how badly the terminators were underrated - 390 when they were putting out 360 to 380 RWHP. Also, I'm interested in seeing what kind of rear end they put in this thing. I saw in one thread when the specs on the car were first released that the final drive ratio was 3.31 - that looks to me like a 9-inch ratio, not the regular 8.8. I don't put too much faith in the specs I've seen so far, I bet they will change a little before the cars start rolling off the line. But regardless, I'm placing my bet on the GT500 to lay waste to the terminator, stock to stock. As amazing as the '03 cobra was/is, this thing is going to be a monster with even more potential.

While the heads are the best flowing heads ford has, these are the same heads as the 00 R' and 05 GT. I dont see why they put a 9-inch in the rear. Developing a 8.8 is cheaper and it can hold its power fine and then some! Obviously the Gt500 would eat the 03 stock /stock, why would ford take a step back?

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Jman20427 said:
While the heads are the best flowing heads ford has, these are the same heads as the 00 R' and 05 GT. I dont see why they put a 9-inch in the rear. Developing a 8.8 is cheaper and it can hold its power fine and then some! Obviously the Gt500 would eat the 03 stock /stock, why would ford take a step back?

First. can you link me to the 9" rear claim? I haven't seen that yet. Next, why exactly don't you want a 9" opposed to an 8.8? Gear swaps are much easier to perform, and it is stronger.
Ford didn't have to use GT heads to hit that HP mark, they could have upped the boost a lb or two instead. Just be thankful that they did as they are worlds better than any other casting. They sell for $3000 per set bare. Complete, again at dealer cost plus 10 percent you're looking at $5000+ :beer:

Last edited:

CaDDy

Banned
Wylde Horses said:
Ditto, on everything.

My thoughts exactly, when i first saw the articles and numbers i was surprised as to why an engine with .8 more liters and a bigger displacement supercharger would only make 450? :( --(never thought i'd say that)
when the last cobras were making 390. Then again i took your post into consideration. This discusion has really clearified many things, thx to all those that actually know your cars and what your talking about, namely you FourCam :coolman:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. FWIW, based on the results I've seen from GT motors thus far (545-560rwhp @ ~11.5psi, bone stock) I believe these motors will make an easy 600/600 with just a pulley/reflash, with full exhaust, CAI, and 20psi+ easy 700s to the tires.
Hopefully we get better pistons than the '03/04s.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
First. can you link me to the 9" rear claim? I haven't seen that yet.

I'll try to look it up when I get home from work tonight. It wasn't an "official" statement saying it was going to be a 9-inch rear, it just gave the transmission ratios, and it said the final drive ratio was 3.31. I've never seen a 3.31 8.8 rear. :dw:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Wylde Horses said:
I'll try to look it up when I get home from work tonight. It wasn't an "official" statement saying it was going to be a 9-inch rear, it just gave the transmission ratios, and it said the final drive ratio was 3.31. I've never seen a 3.31 8.8 rear. :dw:

I'm fairly certan it's an 8.8 with a new pinion gear ratio, but it's possible I'm wrong. Thanks for checking.

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'm fairly certan it's an 8.8 with a new pinion gear ratio, but it's possible I'm wrong. Thanks for checking.

Heck...if Ford wants to go heritage and stick with the live axle, they should have done it right and just thrown in the 9". Hell..you would at least you would definitely know it was bulletproof.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
This thread would be as silly as saying:

"What's better; the '03/'04 Cobra or the previous Cobra?"

Think about it?!?!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
Heck...if Ford wants to go heritage and stick with the live axle, they should have done it right and just thrown in the 9". Hell..you would at least you would definitely know it was bulletproof.

I don't disagree with you on this one, but with the right parts an 8.8 can be fairly bullet proof itself.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

The final drive ratio I mentioned can be found towards the bottom of the first post in this thread.

As I said, I don't put all my confidence in the details I've seen so far, that final drive ratio may change. And if it's not a 9-inch, so be it. I just thought it would be kinda interesting if they chose to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread