Better performer, 03/04 Terminator or GT500

Which is the better performing car, the 03/04 Terminator or the GT500

• The Terminator, lighter weight and IRS rear.

Votes: 183 26.3%
  • GT500, 450 plus HP and SRA rear.

Votes: 371 53.2%
  • Who cares???

Votes: 144 20.7%

• Total voters

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
if it is so simple why cant another car manufacturer create and build a car with 400hp and sell it for less than 40k dollars? :rockon:

GTO. 400 hp and for about 32-36K. Try again.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
take a new mustang gt(25k) a blower, twin screw installed(6.5k), new brakes, baer installed(2k), modified suspension(2k), modify the fuel system(1k), a new clutch(1k), and six speed tranny(2k). add it all up and what do you got? $39,500 or there abouts. whats the point of this?

Right here>>>>

I know what you were trying to say, but you can't figure the price of the twin screw in because the GT500 does not come with one. That would add about $1,000.00 onto the figures over the differentiated cost of the Eaton.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
and yet the gto has the performance of the 300 horsepower 26k mustang gt. i thought your complete argument was based on performance for your dollar. was i wrong?

Wow, so you are telling me that you have driven a new GT500? Or how else would you know how the 3900+ lb mustang will drive. That is the GTO's downfall. Weight.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Right here>>>>

I know what you were trying to say, but you can't figure the price of the twin screw in because the GT500 does not come with one. That would add about $1,000.00 onto the figures over the differentiated cost of the Eaton.

i said take a mustang gt motor(4.6l) and add a twin screw to it. i never said the gt500 had a twin screw.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
But that isn't what is in the GT500, so you can't use that to figure out what the GT500 is worth. You are trying to figure everything as if ford is buying it off of the street like us for a loss. You can't do that when comparing the Manufacturer difference in cost from one model of a car to another. It doesn't work that way.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
if your going to nit pick the gt500's base msrp will be under 40k as well.

Good luck with that. I used to believe everything that you believe right now. But I started reading about the car..a lot (press releases, magazine interviews with the people behind the GT500), etc, etc. The more I read the more I decided to keep my 04 cobra. And that is why I went ahead and jumped the shark by adding a Whipple.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
But that isn't what is in the GT500, so you can't use that to figure out what the GT500 is worth. You are trying to figure everything as if ford is buying it off of the street like us for a loss. You can't do that when comparing the Manufacturer difference in cost from one model of a car to another. It doesn't work that way.

so your trying to figure what the parts cost ford to build the gt500? is that it? did you include cost for for r and d? did you include cost for testing?
how many engineers worked for 2 full years on this project for svt? make sure you include each of their $100k salaries when your adding up fords cost.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
HISSMAN said:
At your cost, but not at fords. You have to think about it like this, They are not starting out with a 25K GT. They are starting out with a mustang with no engine, or any other parts that I have listed. You have to figure in the cost difference between the GT parts and the GT500 parts. It isn't like ford is taking a GT and pulling the non GT500 parts off of it and throwing them away. Plus you have to figure that ford has better pricing on the parts they use than what we can get them for. I figured everything but the blower in my estimate at our cost, not ford's. The blower price at @ $2800 includes the entire blower assembly, and fuel system from pump to inectors at ford's cost when the cost of the base GT parts are subtracted.

-Jeff
This is the whole thing when considering the value of a factory upgraded model.

A back yard mechanic removes the factory parts that he has allready paid for and then replaces with whatever level of upgrade he chooses.

The GT500 engine that Ford delivers costs them the price of the GT motor plus the difference between the GT and GT500 engines. They don't discard the GT engine and replace it with an upgraded unit.

The #s you posted are realistic but as you have stated are likely high.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
drmustang said:
They don't discard the GT engine and replace it with an upgraded unit.

The #s you posted are realistic but as you have stated are likely high.

Yeap, the didn't discard the GT engine, because it was never there in the first place.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
HISSMAN said:

so i ask you what is the gt500 worth? you can not build a brand new car with the performance of the gt500 for 40k or less.

mrGT

Established Member
Hissman,

Sounds like you'll be staying with your Terminator to me. I, for one, will be moving on to the Shelby......overpriced, to some, and all. So, if you're not going to buy a Shelby, why spend all your energy trying to convince those that want one they're not worth it?......it ain't your money I'm spending.

As far as Ford's profit goes, have you not been reading where Ford is losing money? My gawd, they are talking about closing manufacturing points, just like GM did. So their profit margines will probably go up.

As a thought, if you own a house, I'd be willing to bet that you won't sell it for what you paid plus just the cost of the upgrades. I'd be willing to bet to sell it for what the market will bear....just like Ford.

Hissman, Have a nice day.......

2814v

Established Member
When this thread first started (gotta love the shelf life of this one) I said there was no way in hell SVT would let the last generation of cobra out performe the new one, I still stand by that. My modded 03 (lightly) makes 440 RWHP AND 460 RWTQ I have a feeling that those are pretty close to what the stock GT500 will be making. Only time will tell how mode freindly the 500 will be, but I bet 600 fly HP will be pretty darn easy to attain. Although the added wieght will hurt, I think us lightly modded 03/04's will have a hard time hanging with the GT500'S.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
mrGT said:
Hissman,

Sounds like you'll be staying with your Terminator to me. I, for one, will be moving on to the Shelby......overpriced, to some, and all. So, if you're not going to buy a Shelby, why spend all your energy trying to convince those that want one they're not worth it?......it ain't your money I'm spending.

As far as Ford's profit goes, have you not been reading where Ford is losing money? My gawd, they are talking about closing manufacturing points, just like GM did. So their profit margines will probably go up.

As a thought, if you own a house, I'd be willing to bet that you won't sell it for what you paid plus just the cost of the upgrades. I'd be willing to bet to sell it for what the market will bear....just like Ford.

Hissman, Have a nice day.......

Car companies are losing money due to poor management decisions, not sales. But the sales are related to the management. Try to find what the bonus was that Bill got last year...a big chunk. They are not worried about the company making a profit so long as they keep making a paycheck. It is corporate America and it works differently than your standard business. I am not trying to talk people out of it, I am just stating my opinion. I really wanted one of these, but I feel let down. And Hau Thai Tang Quoted Me in HOTROD Magazine saying that I was going to drive to his place and give him a wedgie if he screwed it up..well, IMO it is wedgie time. But that is my opinion, and it is my right to express it. IMO the GT500 is worth about $36,000. And the 03/04 Cobra should have been stickered at about $33,500 when they first came out. And that is why I waited till they came down and I found one for $28K brand new. I am not saying that the Terminator will dominate the GT500, I am just stating that the GT500 could have been a lot better at $40K if they did not have to give Shelby his cut. Just imagine how much better quality the car would have been for $40K if all of that money went into development. Or keep it as it is, cut Shelby out and presto', you have a $34-$36K car. I don't pay for a name. Sure it may hold it's value a little better, but I doubt it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Before you read this, know that Bill Ford is a great guy and gave most if not all of this away to Charity. But this is still a chunk of the bottom line and just a fraction of the reason car companies lose money. But having said that it is a great company and certain people deserve to make certain salaries. But when does it become ridiculous?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/15/A01-117697.htm

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Having said just about everything that I have been thinking about concerning the GT500 over the past few months, I will say that it is a much, much better value than a Roush, Saleen, or Steeda.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread