• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is ****ing terrible.

This guy deserves to rot in hell. The outcome of this case will set a huge precedence on further like cases. It'll be interesting to see how many laws cross state line and how they go after him.

LA TIMES said:
'Swatting' suspect in deadly Kansas police shooting to appear in Los Angeles court
http://bit.ly/2n6VKPR)

Joseph Serna and James QueallyContact Reporters
A Los Angeles man arrested on suspicion of making a 911 call to police in Wichita as part of a deadly “swatting” prank is expected to appear in a downtown court on Wednesday as authorities seek his extradition to Kansas.

Los Angeles County prosecutors said they plan to file a “fugitive from justice warrant.”

Tyler Raj Barriss, 25, was arrested last week in South L.A. on an arrest warrant issued by Sedgwick County, Kan., authorities said. The warrant is related to a hoax call to Wichita police in which someone claimed he had killed his father and was holding his mother and sibling at gunpoint.

Tyler-Raj-Barriss-Swatting.jpg

The call prompted a SWAT team to surrounded a Wichita residence and shoot an innocent man who answered the door. Wichita authorities say the man was shot when he lowered his hands toward his waistband. Family members identified the dead man as 28-year-old Andrew Finch.

400x225.jpg

Authorities identified Barriss as the caller. Prosecutors in Kansas are waiting to see if he will fight extradition to their state.

This is not the first time Barriss has been accused of making false reports of an emergency. In October 2015, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office charged him with phoning in a bomb threat to KABC-TV Channel 7 in Glendale. Barriss pleaded no contest.

The term "swatting" refers to false emergency calls that prompt police departments to deploy SWAT teams to an address. Pranksters typically claim that an armed intruder is inside the home.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID “spoofing” to disguise their number. Swatting cases that result in the death of a victim are less common, however.

An FBI supervisor in the Kansas City, Mo., office, which covers all of Kansas, said the agency joined in the investigation in Wichita at the request of local police.

Gaming websites and news outlets have given heavy coverage to the deadly swatting episode.

The digital security news website Krebs On Security captured some of the tweets reportedly written by the caller under the now-suspended Twitter handle @SWAuTistic. The tweets contain the address where Finch was shot and killed. The user also tweeted that they didn’t kill anyone because they didn’t fire a weapon.

The YouTube channel DramaAlert, which covers the gaming community, published a 10-minute interview with a man claiming to be the person who made the swatting call. The interview suggests that a dispute between two online gamers over a $1.50 wager led to the swatting call.

In the interview, the man claims that he had also called in bomb threats to the Federal Communications Commission and an events center in Dallas. He also said he did not feel entirely responsible for Finch’s death because he did not pull the trigger.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-swatting-suspect-20180103-story.html

Zemedici

Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The guy who made the fake emergency call is definitely a sub-human piece of shit that should be punished severely.

However... are there more details on why the SWAT team decided to shoot someone for what appears to be simply answering their front door? That is pretty damn troubling as well.

Coiled03

Established Member
The guy who made the fake emergency call is definitely a sub-human piece of shit that should be punished severely.

However... are there more details on why the SWAT team decided to shoot someone for what appears to be simply answering their front door? That is pretty damn troubling as well.

"Wichita authorities say the man was shot when he lowered his hands toward his waistband."

Yes, very messed up, but not surprising. You can get shot for almost anything, nowdays. I feel bad for the guy who has an itch on his balls while being held at gun point.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
The guy who made the false report needs the book thrown at him.

Feel bad for the victim as well as the SWAT member who took his life based of the false information they had.

Zemedici

Established Member
Let me see if I’ve got this straight.

The guy did this and called swat because he lost at a ****in video game?

did it say that? usually its gamers / streamers that it happens to, a few years or so ago it was 'funny' to some....

Here's Kootra getting swatted

Youtube search 'streamer gets swatted' - it was a big thing on Twitch back in late 2014 early 2015. Tons of them got swatted

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This happened to an old co-worker of mine a few years ago, he's not even a gamer. He was watching a moving with his fiancee one evening when swat came thru the door. After it became clear there was nothing going on they basically said oops. There was no prior history of any incidents with him whatsoever, or at that residence, so we can only surmise someone swatted him.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This happened to an old co-worker of mine a few years ago, he's not even a gamer. He was watching a moving with his fiancee one evening when swat came thru the door. After it became clear there was nothing going on they basically said oops. There was no prior history of any incidents with him whatsoever, or at that residence, so we can only surmise someone swatted him.

That's terrible.

So, say this happens to you. They bust down your door, etc. I assume the police are responsible for any damage done, correct?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That's terrible.

So, say this happens to you. They bust down your door, etc. I assume the police are responsible for any damage done, correct?

Yeah it was a bit shocking, he suspects it may have been his ex-wife, but has no proof, or it was a colossal **** up by the police. The guy is a squeaky clean IT geek, prior service (Navy).

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That's terrible.

There's a lot of problems here. 1) Many SWAT teams do not actually have proper training to perform what they are tasked to do. And 2) If you are innocent and SWAT busts through your door unannounced, if you defend yourself from an assumed intruder and kill one of them, what is your recourse for getting out alive? Since you just shot and injured/killed a cop and all. Your life is on the line for a problem you never started and do not have the proper information to process the situation in a split second.

For me, the problem lies with police procedures. SWAT or police should be doing some sort of intel gathering before busting through someone's door. You should be doing that anyways as you make movement to any objective. By going through the front door without that you are going in blind. You already have an 83% casualty rate in close quarters battle so it is reckless for LE to conduct operations this way.

Machdup1

Established Member
Scumbag who made the call deserves a multi-decade stay in prison.

The responding officer also made mistakes. This is not debatable as an unarmed, innocent man was shot and killed. A through investigation will occur and we will find out the facts in time.

Zemedici

Established Member
There's a lot of problems here. 1) Many SWAT teams do not actually have proper training to perform what they are tasked to do. And 2) If you are innocent and SWAT busts through your door unannounced, if you defend yourself from an assumed intruder and kill one of them, what is your recourse for getting out alive? Since you just shot and injured/killed a cop and all. Your life is on the line for a problem you never started and do not have the proper information to process the situation in a split second.

For me, the problem lies with police procedures. SWAT or police should be doing some sort of intel gathering before busting through someone's door. You should be doing that anyways as you make movement to any objective. By going through the front door without that you are going in blind. You already have an 83% casualty rate in close quarters battle so it is reckless for LE to conduct operations this way.

I'm going to go with 'Not shooting the police, for $200, Alex' hahahahaha

They announce SWAT usually, dont they?

Could have been a 'wrong house' instance - Swatting usually happens when someone is actively gaming / streaming, not randomly. Otherwise no one would know it occurred, know what I'm saying? The entertainment (usually) is in watching your foe get swatted. Hence why all the streamers got swatted live.

Coiled03

Established Member
That's terrible.

Actually, I think the answer is they are NOT responsible, as messed up as it is.

They use the whole "we were just acting on information available" kind of defense.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Actually, I think the answer is they are NOT responsible, as messed up as it is.

They use the whole "we were just acting on information available" kind of defense.

Hm. Well that would be unfortunate.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm going to go with 'Not shooting the police, for $200, Alex' hahahahaha

They announce SWAT usually, dont they?

Could have been a 'wrong house' instance - Swatting usually happens when someone is actively gaming / streaming, not randomly. Otherwise no one would know it occurred, know what I'm saying? The entertainment (usually) is in watching your foe get swatted. Hence why all the streamers got swatted live.

I think in a lot of cases they don't have to. Usually, if SWAT is on scene then they are there for a specific reason and it is not to announce themselves or their position. There is also such a thing as no-knock warrants. They just bust in the door and take who they are looking for. What I'm suggesting is a rare instance, but how do you know if who is busting through your door is actually a cop?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think in a lot of cases they don't have to. Usually, if SWAT is on scene then they are there for a specific reason and it is not to announce themselves or their position. There is also such a thing as no-knock warrants. They just bust in the door and take who they are looking for. What I'm suggesting is a rare instance, but how do you know if who is busting through your door is actually a cop?

I would agree with you.

If I was just sitting on the couch, minding my own business and someone busted through my front door, my last thought would be that it was the police. In my mind, they would have 0 reason to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread