Bias ply slick

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
Ran my 2012 GT into the 10's with Stiff sidewall Hoosier 28x10.5 slicks in the rear and Hoosier 17" Radial skinnies up front. Hundreds of passes on that combo, in that car. Ran the rear tires as low as 10.5psi and that was the only time it got a little hairy, and it was ALL in the rear.

d48ed900e79fa9547169c26138b4cd8d_L.jpg

The next tire combo I ran was Goodyear 28x10.5's and M&H Bias Ply fronts. Again, no issues at the track but I preferred the Radials for Safety reasons. I have seen Bias ply fronts blow at the track. I'm a big fan of the 8 ply MT Bias fronts and the Hoosier Radials for these heavy cars.

IMO people are jerking the wheel when shifting and/or running too narrow of a wheel for the rear slick. That's where most of the sway problems we see come from, or simply too low on tire pressure.

I believe the OP was intending and referring to running a radial street tire. Not a radial skinny tire. This might be where some confusion is coming from. A skinny radial will not prove to be as unstable as a full size street tire.

I apologize for being intuitive enough to interpret his post and be able to give advice based on that, not just random facts or opinions that don't apply to his situation. He drives an M6 and was wanting to save money by not buying a front wheel/tire combo.

Shaun@AED

I believe the OP was intending and referring to running a radial street tire. Not a radial skinny tire. This might be where some confusion is coming from. A skinny radial will not prove to be as unstable as a full size street tire.

I apologize for being intuitive enough to interpret his post and be able to give advice based on that, not just random facts or opinions that don't apply to his situation. He drives an M6 and was wanting to save money by not buying a front wheel/tire combo.

Ah yes, well that would be a different story. Been there, done that and not interested in running stock fronts with soft sidewall slicks. Any little twitch of the steering wheel and the front of the car will respond.

Jday14

Established Member

Yeah I am running a 275/40/18 up front and currently have nitto 555 295/45/18 on the rear. It looks good on the street but the niittos don't do enough for me traction wise at the track. I was wanting to avoid changing out the front wheels at all but if I go slick it seems it would be the wise thing to do. Not to mention the 28 inch tire is killing my 3:31s at the track. Just have to decide what's best for me I will probably go to the track once or twice a month and these tires will be strictly track use, maybe a can find a cheap (er) set used when funds allow and do some experimentation. I just wanna go fast! If only my wife and wallet would understand that!

Jday14

Established Member
So a buddy has an extra set of wheels and slicks that he is willing to let me use (if they fit) I will hopefully find out today! Should I have my axles welded before using the slicks? I have seen where people have twisted their axles out when using a sticky tire ie project coyote on Am's website. I have also seen axle braces are they effective or would welding be the way to go? So what are you guys doing that are running sticky tires?

cb900f

Established Member
So a buddy has an extra set of wheels and slicks that he is willing to let me use (if they fit) I will hopefully find out today! Should I have my axles welded before using the slicks? I have seen where people have twisted their axles out when using a sticky tire ie project coyote on Am's website. I have also seen axle braces are they effective or would welding be the way to go? So what are you guys doing that are running sticky tires?

If they are wider than 15x8's you will need swaybar relocation brackets.

You weld the axle tubes to keep it from rotating. The CHE brace also helps, but welding is better.

:beer:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'll find out tonight how the car acts with bias ply in the back and radial up front. Hoping for better 60ft. times.

4VFTW

Established Member
if you cant keep a car with bias plys in the rear and radials on the front off the wall you have absolutely no business racing a car with more than 130hp.

Jbstang87

Established Member
I want to run MT ET stiffwall Drags 26x10x15 on a 15x8 racestar. Is it ok to use m&h 185/55/17 front runners (radials) in the front

corysmach1

Established Member
Sure.
Mickey ET Drags 28x10.50x15 stiffwall slicks
Mickey ET fronts 26x4.5x15

SVE drag wheels 15x10 and 15x4

Shiken actually has me crushed on his 60ft, I would recommend you ask him as well. (we run very similar tire setups)

Do you run that setup on the street? If so how do you like it? I run Darkstars now 17/15 combo with M/H radials up front and MT drag radials out back. I wanna run HOOSIER QTPS out back will that be ok with the radials up front?

corysmach1

Established Member
I want to run MT ET stiffwall Drags 26x10x15 on a 15x8 racestar. Is it ok to use m&h 185/55/17 front runners (radials) in the front

I have those same tires up front and I wanna run HOOSIER QTPS out back....so I basically have the same question if it will be ok. Lol. I have ran drag radials for 10 years so bias ply rears is new to me i dont know shit about them.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
So I ran the radial and bias combo tonight. It's definitely more interesting but not dangerous. Feels like you're on a marshmallow. I did let off one time out of safety concerns because I started to drift towards the wall. That was when I lowered the psi to 14. 16 psi seemed to be the sweet spot for me. Car doesn't feel like it's taking a beating when I launch anymore. The DR's seemed harsh.

corysmach1

Established Member
So I ran the radial and bias combo tonight. It's definitely more interesting but not dangerous. Feels like you're on a marshmallow. I did let off one time out of safety concerns because I started to drift towards the wall. That was when I lowered the psi to 14. 16 psi seemed to be the sweet spot for me. Car doesn't feel like it's taking a beating when I launch anymore. The DR's seemed harsh.

Whats your wheel and tire combo?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
ET Street 27x10.5x15 with the stock tires and rims up front.

My best was only a 12.1 at 115 1.7 60ft. but it's a new best. It was my first time with new tires so I played with the shocks, launch rpm, and psi. I'll get 11's with more practice. I'm happy with the improvement and it was fun. Also got to see how LT's really come on strong up top. Was getting caught by a less modded 5.0 and just pulled away at the end,

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
I tried running the bias ply ET streets with 18 inch front radials on both my cars.
I was scared shitless... but I am no Pro.
Never again!
With the Bias ply skinnies up front it was night and day.May be skinny radials would not be as bad?

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I just picked up a set of Hoosier stiff sidewall slicks and M&H 28" skinnies. What tire pressures have you guys had the best luck with?

Jday14

Established Member

Was there a certain speed that it seemed to get worse? Are you going to continue to run the same setup?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Was there a certain speed that it seemed to get worse? Are you going to continue to run the same setup?

I'm not sure of a speed since I was focused on driving but it bounced around the second half of the track. As I said before though, it's nothing really to worry about unless you lower the pressure too far. I didn't feel unsafe doing it. I'm going to keep them around 16 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread