Bias ply slick

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
If you run a slick in the rear, you can't run a radial up front. You would probably hit the wall.

This wreaks of someone who has no first hand experience with the subject at hand. It may move around a lttle bit, but you will be fine. I've made dozens of passes with bias plys in the rear and radials up front.

Last edited:

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
This wreaks of someone who has no first hand experience with the subject at hand. It may move around a lttle bit, but you will be fine. I've made dozens of passes with bias plys in the rear and radials up front.

I do have experience with it. 1 second gear pull was all I needed. Why does everyone like to attack someone with a differing opinion? Seems like the OP needs a full field of opinions to make an educated decision. Hence the reason for his post. To each his own.

Jday14

Established Member

Was that sixty foot time in your sig with a slick in the back and 20s in the front?
What slick do you run or would you recommend?

Jday14

Established Member
I do have experience with it. 1 second gear pull was all I needed. Why does everyone like to attack someone with a differing opinion? Seems like the OP needs a full field of opinions to make an educated decision. Hence the reason for his post. To each his own.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion like was stated I am trying to make an educated decision. I know it's not as easy as do this or do that but the more peoples input I have the better informed decision I feel I can make. Not looking to start any debates but rather experiences and first hand knowledge from all that can contribute. Like I said thanks for all the feedback so far keep me coming!

Jday14

Established Member
OP have you tried the Hoosier radial slick? They hook and feel great at 135+ mph

No I have not tried any drag tire just street tires so far I am a track noob. I only have probably 20 passes under my belt so far with an 8.1 and 2.0 short time at the 1/8 mile track so far. But I am open to any and all suggestions!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

No, you're wrong because wrong. Duh.. :burn:

OP, you can try slicks/radials and see how you like them. That's the only way you'll really know what you prefer.

I've run drag radials and slicks on my stick cars, and I prefer slicks, hands down.

Hitting the 2 step at 5k, and dropping the clutch going a 1.4 60' is a heck of a lot of fun in these cars. I strongly recommend it, but I wouldn't drop the clutch on a radial, even with a built drivetrain. It's just too violent.

Jday14

Established Member
No, you're wrong because wrong. Duh.. :burn:

OP, you can try slicks/radials and see how you like them. That's the only way you'll really know what you prefer.

I've run drag radials and slicks on my stick cars, and I prefer slicks, hands down.

Hitting the 2 step at 5k, and dropping the clutch going a 1.4 60' is a heck of a lot of fun in these cars. I strongly recommend it, but I wouldn't drop the clutch on a radial, even with a built drivetrain. It's just too violent.

That does sound awesome may I ask what setup you run wheels, brand, size the complete rundown if you will sir!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
That does sound awesome may I ask what setup you run wheels, brand, size the complete rundown if you will sir!

Sure.
Mickey ET Drags 28x10.50x15 stiffwall slicks
Mickey ET fronts 26x4.5x15

SVE drag wheels 15x10 and 15x4

Shiken actually has me crushed on his 60ft, I would recommend you ask him as well. (we run very similar tire setups)

04compgt

Established Member

You have an A6, it is a whole different ball game than with a stick car. I have mixed radials and bias ply as well on my A6 car without any ill effects. But with a Manual transmission car like the OP, I have tried mixing the two and let me tell you it was not a comfortable feeling everytime I slammed a gear.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
You have an A6, it is a whole different ball game than with a stick car. I have mixed radials and bias ply as well on my A6 car without any ill effects. But with a Manual transmission car like the OP, I have tried mixing the two and let me tell you it was not a comfortable feeling everytime I slammed a gear.

Exactly. Good point

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member

Sure.

Shiken actually has me crushed on his 60ft, I would recommend you ask him as well. (we run very similar tire setups)

We do run a very similar tire/ wheel setup. I run the Weld RTS with the same size and slick. I use a different size front tire.

You should see a 1.68-1.62 60' with the slick and stock suspension. Better 60' times with any consistency will most likely require suspension upgrades.

Yes, launching at 4500+ and letting her eat is my favorite part of the whole ride.:dancenana:

Last edited:

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member

I was going to point that out, but I get so tired of this dick measuring on here. I didn't even get a chance to slam a gear, just the boost coming on in second was enough for me to almost hit the guy next to me.

Jday14

Established Member
Sure.

Sounds pretty dang sick man! Couldn't even imagine just smashing the gas hooking and gone! Street tires is a delicate dance of left foot right oh wait too much right foot back out a little, just a lot going on lol. It's hard to be super consistent. Might just have t bite the bullet save the extra funds and get the whole setup and do it right the first time!

Jday14

Established Member
I was going to point that out, but I get so tired of this dick measuring on here. I didn't even get a chance to slam a gear, just the boost coming on in second was enough for me to almost hit the guy next to me.

Definitely don't wont in to turn into a dick measuring contest as a 5'10" white guy I will loose every time lol! But seriously appreciate the feedback keep it coming!

04compgt

Established Member

I figured I would point that out. I have experience with both stick and auto cars, the stick cars are more sensitive to the tire mixing from the shock in every gear. Auto's will go down the track no matter what the combo is. It is even more sensitive on a heavy car like the s197 though. I don't get the dick measuring on here either. OP asked for help. Help him!

04compgt

Established Member
Definitely don't wont in to turn into a dick measuring contest as a 5'10" white guy I will loose every time lol! But seriously appreciate the feedback keep it coming!

I am a 5'10" half asian guy. You may not lose! LOL!, there is a saying is not about the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean, does that apply? The problem I have with the statement is it would take a long time to get to point B with a small ship...

Jday14

Established Member
I am a 5'10" half asian guy. You may not lose! LOL!, there is a saying is not about the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean, does that apply? The problem I have with the statement is it would take a long time to get to point B with a small ship...

Haha that's a good point never thought about it that way! But back on topic with just a cai, tune, and catback would I be better off going with a 26x10 slick I also have 3:31 gears or would I be better off to go with a 28x10?

Jbstang87

Established Member
I am in the same boat as the OP, was uneducated about the mix between slicks and radials, not really sure what's gonna be more economical in the long run. Think I'm just gonna do a drag radial in back and hope it doesn't break in the meantime.

Why doesn't anyone sell a drag set with slicks and front bias plys for 2011 + coyotes? that would be awesome. American muscle, LMR, please take note!!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I am in the same boat as the OP, was uneducated about the mix between slicks and radials, not really sure what's gonna be more economical in the long run. Think I'm just gonna do a drag radial in back and hope it doesn't break in the meantime.

Why doesn't anyone sell a drag set with slicks and front bias plys for 2011 + coyotes? that would be awesome. American muscle, LMR, please take note!!

Summit ftw. They sell just about every drag tire known to exist in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread