Bias ply slick

Jbstang87

Established Member
Yea But i want a set of rims and slicks sold mounted and balanced and shipped. Maybe will just have to hunt the classifieds on svtp

hoodley

Established Member
DONT JERK THE WHEEL! when shifting. it wont move around to bad on the slicks....
Just keep the street tires and make it work, thats fun too. Get them to work and you a badass!

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
Guys running slicks and bias plus in the front how do you get to the track?

Drive. I dd on my setup. Occasionally I'll swap them out for the street tires. Can't take any hard corners though. They will wear pretty quickly too.

If you are trying to be thrifty, it only takes a half an hour or so to swap them.

Jday14

Established Member
Yeah I would swap them drive to track make my passes drive home put street tires back on just wanted to make sure I could drive it on the road witha setup.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Once you stage. Lock the front brakes and load the drivetrain by slipping the clutch and release the line lock while going wot and releasing the rest of the the clutch all at the same time.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
You have an A6, it is a whole different ball game than with a stick car. I have mixed radials and bias ply as well on my A6 car without any ill effects. But with a Manual transmission car like the OP, I have tried mixing the two and let me tell you it was not a comfortable feeling everytime I slammed a gear.

I run a radial with my A6. I ran the bias plys on the rear, radials on tue front on my mid 10 second, T-56 fox. The guy I responded to said the OP would probably hit a wall if he ran radials on the front. It sounded like someone who had never ran radials on the front with bias plys in the rear. It usually helps to mention that you have experience with the given topic, not just an opinion.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I was going to point that out, but I get so tired of this dick measuring on here. I didn't even get a chance to slam a gear, just the boost coming on in second was enough for me to almost hit the guy next to me.

No dick measuring here, just pointing out bad advice. I'm sorry you couldn't make radials work with slicks. You sir are in the minority.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No dick measuring here, just pointing out bad advice. I'm sorry you couldn't make radials work with slicks. You sir are in the minority.

So you have a 2011+ stick shifted mustang and have run radials up front and bias ply slicks in the rear? I see you mention you had/have a fox body but those are nothing like the new S197s.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Are you retarded? Read my posts...

Yea, I read it. I see no mention of first hand experience with a stick shifted 2011+ mustang with bias ply in the rear and radials up front. Did you edit a post? I don't see it.

I see mention of your T56 car but nothing of a newer style stick shifted mustang

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
First off, I do apologize for writing that. Not cool.

I ran the fox with all sorts of bias plys on the street and track with radials on the front, hundreds of passes, thousands of miles (10,000+ miles), many sets and sizes of ET Streets, Quick Time Pros and ET Drags. No, it is not an S197, but its not like its a miata. It was a fox. It hit the tires very hard, 60'd in the mid 1.40's with the windsor.

My posts today have nothing to do with my 2012, auto car. It is/was ran with the exact parts mentioned in my signature.

Now, to further add to the confusion, I am selling my 18's in the sig and actually planning to run slicks full time (if you can call sunny day drives that) on the street this coming year on my 2012 to give me more bite on the street, but... this is not about me.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
First off, I do apologize for writing that. Not cool.

I ran the fox with all sorts of bias plys on the street and track with radials on the front, hundreds of passes, thousands of miles (10,000+ miles). No, it is not an S197, but its not like its a miata. It was a fox. It hit the tires very hard, 60'd in the mid 1.40's with the windsor.

My posts today have nothing to do with my 2012, auto car. It is/was ran with the exact parts mentioned in my signature.

Now, to further add to the confusion, I am selling my 18's in the sig and actually planning to run slicks full time (if you can call sunny day drives that) on the street this coming year on my 2012 to give me more bite on the street, but... this is not about me.

Shiken(and myself for that matter) both have 2011+ stick shifted mustangs and regularly run bias ply tires at the track and on the street. I have hundreds of passes in my car and Shiken might have even more so we're both fairly versed in what these cars like/don't like, at least as far as stick shifted cars are concerned.

Shiken has been 1.3x 60fts in his car and I have been 1.4s in mine so it's not like we're rookies or inexperienced. While we don't drive miatas, I can say for absolute certainty based on my own personal experience that these cars do not like a mix of bias ply in the rear and radial up front. The car is all over the place in between shifts and largely uncontrollable. It's sketchy to say the least.

If I had to guess, I would say it's largely a result of the substantially heavier curb weight of the 2011+ mustang over the traditional fox and the extra weight only exaggerates the issue.

With that in mind, I always match my tires to avoid any potentially catastrophic issue.

YRMV!

:beer:

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Ran my 2012 GT into the 10's with Stiff sidewall Hoosier 28x10.5 slicks in the rear and Hoosier 17" Radial skinnies up front. Hundreds of passes on that combo, in that car. Ran the rear tires as low as 10.5psi and that was the only time it got a little hairy, and it was ALL in the rear.

d48ed900e79fa9547169c26138b4cd8d_L.jpg

The next tire combo I ran was Goodyear 28x10.5's and M&H Bias Ply fronts. Again, no issues at the track but I preferred the Radials for Safety reasons. I have seen Bias ply fronts blow at the track. I'm a big fan of the 8 ply MT Bias fronts and the Hoosier Radials for these heavy cars.

IMO people are jerking the wheel when shifting and/or running too narrow of a wheel for the rear slick. That's where most of the sway problems we see come from, or simply too low on tire pressure.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
simply too low on tire pressure

This would have been my guess. However, these guys are 60'ing very well, so I will leave the stick shift/slicks/S197 talk to them.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread