big and littles! ccw? bogart?? TRUE FORGED!!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Not too sure what you said since you edited your reply to my post, but a few pounds DOES matter no matter what power level you're working with. There is a huge difference between a 8lb front runner and a 20lb front wheel. As I'm sure Steve at TF knows, you have to keep in mind with wheel and tire weight, that EVERY single ONE static lb of mass is like 3.3lbs when converted to rolling mass. So you can't just say "well so what they're 12lbs heavier each..in reality they're a lot more than that. I will say in my old 89 GT five liter I went from 14.10s every pass to 13.90s every pass doing nothing but going from 17x9 Cobra Rs to 15x3.5 Draglites (Welds heavier street wheels) in the front.

I'm not knocking these new TF wheels at all, because as Steve had mentioned, similiar to our new Weld R/T wheels, they are a street design, and you don't have much choice but to sacrafice some weight when building a drag wheel for the street. They do look amazing by the way!

its only because theyre for a GT500 that they're so heavy. they'd be pounds lighter if the GT500 had teeny weeny brakes like the terminators do. its because the calipers are so massive the wheels need more metal to clear them. there is no getting around that, no matter what kind of wheel they are. even a bogart for a gt500 will not be as light as a bogart for a fox mustang. and dont forget to include any spacers you might need to make them work...

and, the majority of the weight in our wheels is at the CENTER of the wheel, right where the studs go through. the outer hoops are pretty damn light. that's why theyre much better to run than a standard wheel like an FR500, in which the weight is spread out throughout the entire wheel. if i were to cut out the very center hub area, where the studs go through, it would take off about 15lbs from the wheel. which is a GOOD thing. you want the weight at the center. just because they weigh 20lbs on a scale, doesnt mean that its 20lbs of rotating mass ;-) like a yo-yo, the more outward the weight is, the heavier the rotating mass is. imagine if the actual yo-yo was at the center and just the string flung around in a loop. same weight on a scale, but way different effect in rotating mass.

bogarts are a billet wheel but they are no forged. a true forged (no pun intended lol) are cut from solid T6061 billets of aluminum. they are then pressed with TONS of forced while also being heated. this realigns the molecules in the metal making them much stronger and lighter. they are far more dense then a bogart, which is why they are heavier, but safe to drive on the roads.

ive lifted bogarts before. my buddy had them on his Lightning with huge slicks. they had screws in the tires/wheels and everything. i could easily lift the wheel AND tire up over my head with one hand! which is awesome! but he has a truck, and can easily take a floor jack, jack stands and a whole extra set of wheels with him to the track. not so easy for someone in a small coupe lol. and for what he paid for those wheels, he was lucky if he used them to make 10 passes before he sold them for less than half of what he paid for them :kaboom:

cool. I had been working on him to make a 16x10 and 17x4 combo for me for a long long time but he said he couldnt do it

and i still cant do it! lol. 17x5 is the narrowest possible. we can do a 15x4, but then you'd have to run some fox brakes on your terminator lol

How muh do they cost?

I get the point of being tougher for the street and not bending, but I don't know many people who will leave skinny 18s on the front with 16s on the back full time anyways...so you still end up swapping them out for a true set of street wheels every time you get back from the track. They look good, though...especially the mach 5s (?).

Edit: How big are the front brakes on a GT500?

not everyone will. Sinister has 17x7 17x11 TF on his truck right now and he leaves them on all the time. james can drive to the track, and back home and just park it. or cruise around on them if he likes. its not like he's going to be driving to work every day with skinnies up front lol. he could leave them on permanently and be fine with it. now if your mustang is your DD, then yeah, it wouldnt make sense to leave them all the time. BUT, the point is, you wont have to drag 2 sets of wheels to the track with you. you dont have to ask someone to carry some wheels for you, you dont have to trailer it there.

I hear ya, I'd have to take the coupe too. If I didn't have my truck I'd drive the shit out of the Shelby for ya lol.

you own a truck. TOW his other car there. win win :D

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
not everyone will. Sinister has 17x7 17x11 TF on his truck right now and he leaves them on all the time.

Yes I do. I got tired of the hassle of swapping wheels at the track all the time with my Bogarts. I drive to and from the track and I wanted a wheel/tire combo that could serve double duty on the street and track. My TF wheels do that well.

Steve@TF said:
you own a truck. TOW his other car there. win win :D

lol, a 900 hp ford truck pulling a like powered ford car........ ftw:banana:

I gave up towing duties but that'd be pretty awesome lol.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You're not susposed to drive them on the street. I always get a kick out of people complaining about their broken drag wheels. Have I drove on the street with my 17" Alumastars? Yep. Will I cry if I break one? Nope. I know the consiquences for driving a light weight drag wheel on the street.
I wasn't talking about driving them on the street. Never said that once!

I am talking track only cars.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Yes I do. I got tired of the hassle of swapping wheels at the track all the time with my Bogarts. I drive to and from the track and I wanted a wheel/tire combo that could serve double duty on the street and track. My TF wheels do that well.

With M/Ts on the rear wheels you'll be taking them off every other week to replae the tires if you do much street driving, anyways. :lol1:

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Steve and James, these look plain old S I C K! James will you make it to Mustang Week? I'd love to see then I person.

Users who are viewing this thread