Big brake upgrade questions.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking about upgrading to a Baer big brake kit. I feel it's a good idea at my hp level and I have tf wheels cut for big brakes.

I'm a little confused on the kits though. Are they mainly for the fronts only? No matching rear calipers? How hard is the kit to install?

Lastly, I'm torn between a few colors for the calipers. Thoughts?
IMAG0457_zpspvs4hiez.jpg

IMAG1491_zpsji1ycahx.jpg

azcopper6pset_zpsyz9rfbut.png

6p-caliper-arizona-copper_2_1_zps31gde0pv.jpg

Baer_Candy_Red_6P_Set1%201_zpsu8mj0g37.jpg

fire%20red-45%201_zpsiy1qp0pq.jpg

olympic%20gold_zpst2htk1a9.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
The reason you will struggle to find matching rear setups is because we have a cable driven parking brake in our rear calipers.

Most rear setups have to add another caliper. One for braking (usually a 4-pot), and another for the parking brake. There is a lot of extra engineering and manufacturing to do that.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
The Baer brakes are very easy to install. You just have to shim the bracket to center the caliper over the rotor. Very simple task which should only take an hour to do for both sides. The shims are included with the install kit.

CaliperBuff005.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel like Id do a caliper a different color than the car as some kind of accent vs a very similar color

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel like Id do a caliper a different color than the car as some kind of accent vs a very similar color
That's kinda my thinking too. Just wondering how that az copper would look?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The copper should look good against your red. Even with just the fronts upgraded you'll notice a difference. I let my friend drive my car yesterday and he forgot I have the Baer brakes. I said something about them and he made the comment about them feeling much better than his stock brakes.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The copper should look good against your red. Even with just the fronts upgraded you'll notice a difference. I let my friend drive my car yesterday and he forgot I have the Baer brakes. I said something about them and he made the comment about them feeling much better than his stock brakes.
Awesome. I was looking for some feedback on that copper color. So did you do anything with the rears? I currently have Rotorpros slotted rotors and hawk ceramic pads.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Awesome. I was looking for some feedback on that copper color. So did you do anything with the rears? I currently have Rotorpros slotted rotors and hawk ceramic pads.

I picked up slotted rotors for all four corners at the same time and went with Stoptech pads I think. They weren't the high end pads, but they work pretty well. I didn't want to deal with the drilled rotors as I had managed to crank the ones that were on the car.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
The only problem with ford kit is brembo doesn't make a rear slotted rotor (discontinued) so I has to get 4 brembo zinc gold drilled rotors. Little more money, but done correctly

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up slotted rotors for all four corners at the same time and went with Stoptech pads I think. They weren't the high end pads, but they work pretty well. I didn't want to deal with the drilled rotors as I had managed to crank the ones that were on the car.
Yeah prefer just slotted rotors after hearing some people cracking the drilled ones.

94slowbra1

Established Member
before i did my 14" brembos i had the baer 6p caliper with their 2 pc rotors front and rear. install is very easy and can use your existing rotors. or you can upgrade to a 2 pc rotor from either baer or from or FTBR. the rotor is great because it sheds some weight.
as for the rears you are limited to a 13" FTBR kit which relocates your stock caliper. but you also wont be able to run your 16" wheels that you have if you do this.
and honestly if you are going to spend the money, go with a 14" kit. night and day over the 13" version

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
before i did my 14" brembos i had the baer 6p caliper with their 2 pc rotors front and rear. install is very easy and can use your existing rotors. or you can upgrade to a 2 pc rotor from either baer or from or FTBR. the rotor is great because it sheds some weight.
as for the rears you are limited to a 13" FTBR kit which relocates your stock caliper. but you also wont be able to run your 16" wheels that you have if you do this.
and honestly if you are going to spend the money, go with a 14" kit. night and day over the 13" version

So the 14" kit cost like twice as much, no? Didn't know I could reuse my rotors. For some reason I was thinking the rotors for the baers are larger in diameter. I haven't checked out the brembo kits.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the az copper color is tits.

your wheels were not cut to fit big calipers on the rear. if they were, they'd look like your fronts with small lips lol. or if they were some crazy kit that pushes the calipers deep inside but i havent seen anything like that for modern mustangs

94slowbra1

Established Member
So the 14" kit cost like twice as much, no? Didn't know I could reuse my rotors. For some reason I was thinking the rotors for the baers are larger in diameter. I haven't checked out the brembo kits.
Not for baer if you are buying their 2pc rotors, $1949 and $1999 if i remember correctly. If buying just the calipers then yes the 14" kit with rotors is about $700 more. Do it once and do it right
No knock against baer, i ran them and liked them but they are no match for a brembo kit. I'll post some pics of the difference in the two kits when I get home so you can see

94slowbra1

Established Member
here are the two calipers for comparison (brembo is black)
IMG_20160825_162520050.jpg

here are the two rotors. also the brembo rotors are .25" thicker than the ones baer uses (stock thickness in both the 13" and 14" kits)
IMG_20160824_165621761.jpg

i thought about upgrading the baers to 14" but by the time i would have bought the brackets and new rotors i was better off buying the brembo kit
if you are going for aesthetics and a slightly better grab the baers will do just fine. if you really want to grab i think the brembos are the way to go

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not for baer if you are buying their 2pc rotors, $1949 and $1999 if i remember correctly. If buying just the calipers then yes the 14" kit with rotors is about $700 more. Do it once and do it right
No knock against baer, i ran them and liked them but they are no match for a brembo kit. I'll post some pics of the difference in the two kits when I get home so you can see
Part of what I like with baer is there color options for calipers. Does brembo offer this wide of color options?

Users who are viewing this thread