Bizarre Traction Problem

BlownReptile

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm having a traction/rear end issue that has me completely vexed.

The problem started out as a near inability to get traction in 5th & 6th gears, even at as low as 10-20% throttle. Now, I am having trouble getting traction in 3rd - 6th gears, at low throttle.

When trying to accelerate at all in these gears, the RPM's just race up and the tires start spinning. Its like the car is getting no traction at all and there is no resistance to the engine.

The car has 96,000 miles on it, and is essentially stock. This traction issue arises even under very conservative acceleration.

I'm stumped...and the tires look pretty healthy.

Any ideas?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
are you sure the tires are spinning?

more likely the tires are not spinning, the clutch is slipping and it's time for a replacement

the higher gears have more load on the clutch and it will slip in higher gears where it will not in the lower gears

BlownReptile

Established Member
The clutch does need to be replaced. I actually asked my mechanic if the clutch could be causing this issue, and gist of his answer was no.

I was somewhat skeptical about that answer, so I'm glad to hear that you guys feel the clutch could be the problem.

I may just go ahead and replace the clutch, and see if that addresses the problem.

Also, about the tires spinning, it really does feel like the car is losing traction, and it will actually jerk sideways. The engine will also rev up like it has no resistance at all.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
It's the clutch. You are NOT spinning the tires.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else, definitely sounds like the clutch.

We're happy to help you resolve the issue. If you're looking for a good quality, budget friendly replacement, I'd go with a Spec Single disc with their flywheel. No use in trying to resurface the stock flywheel and trying to make it work IMO.

Always can extend the member discount your way to save a little more aside from the free shipping already.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

John

oldmodman

Established Member
There is another possibility, unlikely as it is.

If the clutch pack in your differential is worn or damaged in some way it "could" be sending all the power to just one wheel. And that would certainly make the car jerk sideways.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
There is another possibility, unlikely as it is.

If the clutch pack in your differential is worn or damaged in some way it "could" be sending all the power to just one wheel. And that would certainly make the car jerk sideways.

no in high gear

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
If its actually the clutch and you can't tell the difference between the clutch slipping and tire spin you probably shouldn't own a car like this.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread