Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then on Sunday I managed to complete my brake line plumbing and get a little bit of wiring completed.

20201226_120231_resized.jpg

20201226_120239_resized.jpg

I'm using weather pack connectors to customize my wiring. This will be for the power to my headlights. I also made one to go from my MSD box to my coil. Still have way more wiring to do though.
20201227_203822_resized.jpg

20201227_203827_resized.jpg

I'm using wire sheathing and heat shrink tube to finish it off and give it a more professional look.
20201227_204105_resized.jpg

20201227_204111_resized.jpg

Since I'm waiting on my brackets I decided to polish my pulley's.
20201226_163748_resized.jpg

Oh, and I got my clutch and brake pedal assembly for Christmas :D….
20201225_105732_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, after this weekend I have hit a "waiting on parts" issue.

Waiting on:

1. Harmonic Balancer
  2. Alternator Bracket
  3. P/S Bracket
  4. Steering Shaft/Double D Linkage
  5. Doug's Headers
  6. TKO 600 Transmission/Bell Housing/Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (Yes, this has been ordered through American Powertrain).

And I haven't even ordered my intake system yet :eek:… Wait until you guys see what I have in mind here :D;):eek:...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I received my Harmonic Balancer yesterday. I went with an SFI certified one. It's a little larger than stock and although it is tight to the timing marker and water pump it does fit.

It is not installed. Just mocked in place.

20201228_171550_resized.jpg

20201228_171140_resized.jpg

20201228_171122_resized.jpg

20201228_171129_resized.jpg

While I was in the garage I decided to pull my alternator apart. It's practically brand new, but I want a different housing. One that has more shine to it.:D
20201228_145829_resized.jpg

20201228_172209_resized.jpg

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Haven't posted in here yet but have been reading up every so often. Very impressive Glenn. its going to be so rewarding when the car is done, and you did all of this work yourself. I cannot wait to see the finished product, and I hope you record the first burnout you do to share with us!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Haven't posted in here yet but have been reading up every so often. Very impressive Glenn. its going to be so rewarding when the car is done, and you did all of this work yourself. I cannot wait to see the finished product, and I hope you record the first burnout you do to share with us!

Hey Chris! Glad to know you've been checking in here from time to time. Thank you for posting and providing some pretty cool feedback.

I was watching Fast N Loud re-runs yesterday and one of the guys told Aaron Kaufman that he couldn't wait to see the project on the ground. Aaron said "That's the reward." I could relate to that as there are certain "mile stones" I try to reach and each one is its own reward for me (i.e. setting the car on the ground after getting all the suspension installed, installing the engine, installing the rear-end, completing all the front metal work, installing all the brake lines, etc.).

I hear you on the finished product. At first my wife was ribbing me about the project, now she tells me every weekend to hurry up and finish LMAO!

Yes sir, you can bet I will have some videos once it get's further along. I want a start up video, first drive and first burn out videos as well.:D

Thanks for checking in and posting up Chris!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Woo Hoo!!

I just received an email indicating my Doug's Headers have shipped :D:D:D

So here is my updated parts list:

1. Harmonic Balancer (Received)
  2. Alternator Bracket (Shipped)
  3. P/S Bracket (Shipped)
  4. Steering Shaft/Double D Linkage (Shipped)
  5. Doug's Headers (Shipped)
  6. TKO 600 Transmission/Bell Housing/Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (Yes, this has been ordered through American Powertrain). (Being built)

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

My P/S bracket was delivered this afternoon. So, I decided to see how it fit. (NOTE: I'm "working" from home this week. So, on my "breaks" I can just go in the garage and do some test fitting LMAO).

Here you can see the old one (Top) vs. the new one (Bottom).
20201229_141156_resized.jpg

Here you can see the P/S pump now clears the head, so the pressure line can be installed.
20201229_143204_resized.jpg

20201229_143218_resized.jpg

20201229_143237_resized.jpg

Much better fit now. Just need my alternator bracket to come in now.
20201229_143251_resized.jpg

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
That's coming right along and looking good. I bet you have a big white board in the shop with a list that's constantly getting items crossed off it. So an EFI 8 stack injection system. :)

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That's coming right along and looking good. I bet you have a big white board in the shop with a list that's constantly getting items crossed off it. So an EFI 8 stack injection system. :)

Hello Grabber! Since I'm doing this on my own and I stare at the project everyday I do not have a white board or list of any kind. I complete on project and then ask myself what parts do I have on hand and can install or what I need/want to do next and order parts I do not have on hand. I know that does not sound like a very efficient way to go about it. However, Looking at the project "shows" me what needs to be done next and trying to think about "everything" that needs to be done and then writing it down really doesn't work for me. I know I'll forget to write something down anyway LOL.

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Hello Grabber! Since I'm doing this on my own and I stare at the project everyday I do not have a white board or list of any kind. I complete on project and then ask myself what parts do I have on hand and can install or what I need/want to do next and order parts I do not have on hand. I know that does not sound like a very efficient way to go about it. However, Looking at the project "shows" me what needs to be done next and trying to think about "everything" that needs to be done and then writing it down really doesn't work for me. I know I'll forget to write something down anyway LOL.
Well that's better than me. I'm at the point in life that I just have to write it down of I'll forget, shoot sometimes by the time I find paper and pen I'm trying to remember what I was getting it for.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm going to guess something with stacks.

Man, I swear.... Either we all have the same types of dreams or you guys have some form of insight going on LMAO!!!

Okay, I wanted to make some type of reveal, but since you guys are hot on my trail here it is...……

My dream has always been to run a stack injection system on my car. I have looked at this for YEARS now. I looked at a company called Inglese years ago and their system cost $8,000. I was like, there is no way in hell I could afford something like that. So, recently I looked online and found a company called Speedmaster out of California. Their system cost $3,200. However, you still need to buy injectors for your power level/out put AND you need to buy all the sensors. Also, they do NOT have accessories such as air filters and they have VERY bad reviews.

Then I seen that Borla bought out Inglese and started producing these stack injection systems. I seen that Dave Kindig uses Borla stack injection systems on his builds and has endorsed Borla.

So, I have decided to go with Borla. I have already called them and talked to them about a system for my car. Their system comes with "everything." This includes the 8 stack injection system, Holley Terminator (great name) computer system, fuel injectors and ALL sensors. They told me that once I pull the trigger it will take them 3 to 4 weeks to build my kit and ship it out.

I was quoted $6,500. G Damn! That is still expensive as hell, but it is worth it to me in order to fulfill a dream of mine for my car. And once it's purchased I will have a 65 Mustang with a EFI 8 stack system. VERY few people out there have a 65 with this system on it.

This is another reason I was hesitant on buying new headers, but I realized with this build I need to do it right or not do it at all.

I have had this picture for years. This is kind of what I'm shooting for on my build
427ir_engine.jpg

This is the system for the 351W off of Borla's website.
Borla Injection.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
6k really isn't that bad when you think about it. With that other kit that was $3,200 by the time you add in decent injectors, filters, etc, you'd be pretty close to that 6k figure anyway.

And you seem to forget the conversations we had at the car shows.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
upload_2020-12-30_12-49-51.png

Seeing that injection system pushes this project a few notches closer to ASTOUNDING. Not cheap, but OH so nice. And, like you said, it fulfills a dream you've had, Glenn. That makes the addition money well worth it. I want to see the huge smile on your face the first time you (A) start it up, and (B) take the first drive.

So you're having the TKO-600 built to your specs?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
6k really isn't that bad when you think about it. With that other kit that was $3,200 by the time you add in decent injectors, filters, etc, you'd be pretty close to that 6k figure anyway.

And you seem to forget the conversations we had at the car shows.

You are right Bob. In the grand scheme of things it will be well worth it to me. My Dad keeps telling me I'm over building the car. However, I'm building the car for me. Not for profit, not for sale and not to get my money back later. I'm hoping this can become some form of family heirloom one day.

I have not forgotten brother. I realize we talk offline and you have a little more insight on this build than others ;):D.. You are one of the few I turn too for advice or opinions on how to do certain things.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That is going to be and look awesome.

Thank you Grabber70Mach! My engine builder looked at me funny when I told him what I was doing. He likes speed. So, he feels my money could be better spent on a supercharger or turbo set up LOL. Granted, my car could be seriously fast, but I'm looking for the "WOW" factor here.

Users who are viewing this thread