Blew a spark plug

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I totally understand and agree on differing opinions, SURE I'd use Anti-seize if I wasn't planning on changing the plugs every 8K miles, If I was waiting
30K+ between changes a small amount would be put on
. Every Mustang shop in my neck of the woods doesn't use it..

You nailed it here. Most of the cars I get here aren't known for there regular plug changes. I had one where 6 out of 8 plugs took the threads with them :mj:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
YUP, it's Amazing but a good amount of Cobra and car owners in general don't understand proper maintainance, I just changed the plugs on a 1.6 DOHC Saturn I bought from a friend at work and they HAD to be the originals (car has 94K), factory gap is .040 and all were over .080 with lots of electrode melted away, I don't know how it ran, haha!!

Last edited:

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
sorry to go off a topic a bit, but this is a great thread to ask this question. For someone like myself who is installing an f1 procharger in 2 weeks, do I do the revised heads now, or chance it for my 01 heads handle 20-25lbs of boost? big problem is the head studs, which means the engine has to come out (yes, I know most people pull it anyway when the heads come off) it will be a huge difference in cost and probably put the install off a month or two. The reason I ask is because I can get a badass set of revised heads that flow 300+ with titanium retainers for a great price right now.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
I have a new pair of 03' Cobra heads that were take offs.
My wifes 01' has a seeping head gasket and I am going to change the heads and put the 01' cams in the 03' heads.

Should I just have all of the plug holes timeserted while the heads are off to prevent anything in the future?

She plans to Terminate it soon and I dont want the 4 threads causing problems down the road.

How much would all 8 cost?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
IMO it'd be easier to just keep an eye on your plugs and check 'em every few thousand miles to ensure none have loosened.

The inserts themselves are relatively cheap $5-10 or so per insert. The install tools are the real expense. Unless you're gonna throw a LOT of boost at it I wouldn't go through the hassle personally. Then again if the heads are off, it's decidedly easier, and could be worth piece of mind.

I have a new pair of 03' Cobra heads that were take offs.
My wifes 01' has a seeping head gasket and I am going to change the heads and put the 01' cams in the 03' heads.
Should I just have all of the plug holes timeserted while the heads are off to prevent anything in the future?

She plans to Terminate it soon and I dont want the 4 threads causing problems down the road.

How much would all 8 cost?

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
The inserts themselves are relatively cheap $5-10 or so per insert. The install tools are the real expense. Unless you're gonna throw a LOT of boost at it I wouldn't go through the hassle personally. Then again if the heads are off, it's decidedly easier, and could be worth piece of mind.[/QUOTE]

What inserts should I use? I see a bunch of different sizes on ebay, but don't know which ones to use. I'm not planning on doing it myself so I don't need the whole kit.

1999redcobra

Cobra
Established Member
does anyone in the midwest willing to do my time sert? All of the shops want to take off the head. I'm in Nebraska, if anyone could do it PM me. Ill pay you.

Users who are viewing this thread