Blown Motor: Tell me everything I need to know

Evolution03

Established Member
Blew my motor on Sunday doing some spirited driving. It was dangerously low on oil and this thing must have been burning some serious oil since the last oil change only 3000 miles ago. Shame on me for not checking it and it is a very expensive lesson to learn. I suspect I spun a bearing due to oil starvation and the engine has a loud audible knock to it that increases with RPMs. CEL is not on. Car starts up and runs, but it don't sound right and the plan is to let it sit until it is trailered to a shop.

I caught it very early and only had to drive it a few ginger miles to my garage. I am looking at a JDM shortblock, but have a lot of other questions:

-I am in Chicagoland. What is the best shop to disassemble and reassemble my shortblock and work with JDM?
-It is a difficult and extremely time consuming job to swap the shortblock. I've been quoted about 30 hours of labor start to finish. Is that accurate>?
-I suspect my block and everything is in good shape given how early I caught it. How much is it worth and how can i confirm it is solid? JDM can reuse the block and save me a lot of money, but they will have to inspect it in person to determine if it is salvageable. I hate to ship it to them at a cost of $500 to $600 and them tell me it is scrap metal.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Oil starvation can ruin the heads quick too

Honestly - I would want one shop to build the whole thing. If you have one shop do the short block and another do the heads, timing etc you open yourself up to the finger pointing game if something goes wrong. Something to consider.

If you ship them the whole motor they can tell what’s reusable and could send you back a complete long block

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Blew my motor on Sunday doing some spirited driving. It was dangerously low on oil and this thing must have been burning some serious oil since the last oil change only 3000 miles ago. Shame on me for not checking it and it is a very expensive lesson to learn. I suspect I spun a bearing due to oil starvation and the engine has a loud audible knock to it that increases with RPMs. CEL is not on. Car starts up and runs, but it don't sound right and the plan is to let it sit until it is trailered to a shop.

I caught it very early and only had to drive it a few ginger miles to my garage. I am looking at a JDM shortblock, but have a lot of other questions:

-I am in Chicagoland. What is the best shop to disassemble and reassemble my shortblock and work with JDM?
-It is a difficult and extremely time consuming job to swap the shortblock. I've been quoted about 30 hours of labor start to finish. Is that accurate>?
-I suspect my block and everything is in good shape given how early I caught it. How much is it worth and how can i confirm it is solid? JDM can reuse the block and save me a lot of money, but they will have to inspect it in person to determine if it is salvageable. I hate to ship it to them at a cost of $500 to $600 and them tell me it is scrap metal.
whats up i have a 2014 GT500,and had the same issues that you had with the car drinking oil.I got it with 3500 miles on it.It blew up the next summer.I drive hard.Took it to ford and the guy said it had the WRONG tune on it.Ok so i had ford take care of it,and some more issues came up,so now i took it to Geared Up Motorsports in new lennox IL.Ask for Brandon.My block is there now.He sent it to L&M engines to get sleeved!!I have JDM engineering cams going in,and alot of other things.Give him a call.

Evolution03

Established Member
Oil starvation can ruin the heads quick too

Honestly - I would want one shop to build the whole thing. If you have one shop do the short block and another do the heads, timing etc you open yourself up to the finger pointing game if something goes wrong. Something to consider.

If you ship them the whole motor they can tell what’s reusable and could send you back a complete long block
I am hoping that the rest of my long block is still good. Wont know until it is disassembled, but hoping for the best.

dale.baker

Established Member
I am hoping that the rest of my long block is still good. Wont know until it is disassembled, but hoping for the best.
I have a tremendous amount of experience with both Jim's at JDM in both shipping them and building my engine and shipping it back to me. They are great people to deal with in all phases of the build process, and after the build is finished. Call me if you want to discuss the JDM route as I know I can help you make good choices.

I totally agree with Mach 1 in letting one shop do all of the diagnostics, teardown, and rebuilding your engine. Also remember that JDM guarantees their engine builds for one year as long as you do not detonate the engine. Who else does this.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Any spun bearing can ruin everything in a very short time, especially since everything is aluminum. I had this problem in a Coyote, the block, heads, cams all were scored beyond use.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

I would ship the car to JDM and let them do the job from start to finish, period!

If something were to happen and not perform correctly, you want to ELIMINATE as many variables as possible. This includes limiting the number of hands and businesses touching the project.

Best to get in touch with JDM and discuss it and take what you get here with a grain of salt.

@2011 gtcs is the most recent to have his ride done by JDM. I'm sure he will stop in to comment when he gets home from work.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

Maybe i missed it, but what mods do you have and who tunes it?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Evolution03

Established Member
I have a tremendous amount of experience with both Jim's at JDM in both shipping them and building my engine and shipping it back to me. They are great people to deal with in all phases of the build process, and after the build is finished. Call me if you want to discuss the JDM route as I know I can help you make good choices.

I totally agree with Mach 1 in letting one shop do all of the diagnostics, teardown, and rebuilding your engine. Also remember that JDM guarantees their engine builds for one year as long as you do not detonate the engine. Who else does this.

Just my two cents, hope it help

Maybe i missed it, but what mods do you have and who tunes it?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Car was tuned by Dynotune MP and had 2.4 pulley, intake, throttle body, and full exhaust. Made 680/680. I dont want to imply that the tune caused the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread