Blue Smoke After Dyno

Softballer77

Established Member
Customer appreciation day at GTR Hipo this past Sunday which was a car show and dyno competition. I took second, but was disappointed on a couple fronts. For one, my HP and Torque was down. 679/675. And this was on the 100 tune. Couple things that may have dropped it was this time I had on my street wheel setup that includes a 21" rear wheel diameter. So I know that took some away. Plus, this is the first with an OR midpipe. I knew the torque would be low but figured the HP would be up. Conditions were about 65 deg, 35% humidity. Also, I noticed that my driver-side catch can wasn't fully connected to the intake (looks to be messed up so I removed it and put my factory one back on that seals/clicks on nicely). Not sure if that would change much but if it's sucking in air, then it should definitely throw something off. However, this is my biggest concern: blue smoke on the letoff after every pull.

It's obvious blowby. I checked the plugs today. They had about 1500miles on them and obvious coating from Torco. 2 were just slightly darker than the rest, but no real smoking gun. (darkest is pictured up close) Wonder if perhaps it could be from a potential intercooler oil soaking? I have yet to pull it...
Video of the dyno pulls is attached. Any input is appreciated...

Attachments

• 20161121_175953.jpg
    20161121_175953.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
  • 20161121_180013.jpg
    20161121_180013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • 20161121_180029.jpg
    20161121_180029.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 204

paluka21

Established Member
From my take, burning oil is never a good sign. You're getting oil in the combustion chamber either from the rings or valve seals. In my opinion, if I were in your shoes I would leakdown each cylinder to see what it shows.
Good luck.

JimIII@jdm

That's pretty heavy blue smoke at the end of the video, I would suggest a leak down and compression check. Maybe a ring or piston failure. I don't think it's from what's sucking through the intake and

Pictures of your plugs are why we never use torco or any additives, that junk is coated the plugs, 02's, clogging the fuel filter and injectors...buy some real race fuel!

Your catch can not sealing to your intake tube properly is also why we don't use catch cans. The factory PCV lines will never leak if you don't mess with them and YES the PCV system does draw some light oil through the intake, its not the end of the world people. But a Vacuum leak which can cause detonation and break and engine....that can be the end of the world for some people.

Zemedici

Established Member
Woah...that end of the video was kind of alarming, I would get a compression / leakdown done as the man here said ^^^

paluka21

Established Member
Your catch can not sealing to your intake tube properly is also why we don't use catch cans. The factory PCV lines will never leak if you don't mess with them and YES the PCV system does draw some light oil through the intake, its not the end of the world people. But a Vacuum leak which can cause detonation and break and engine....that can be the end of the world for some people.

Not to hijack this thread, but what do you recommend in place of a catch can? I'm hearing many reports of oil soaked/coated intercoolers which in turn can also cause failures.
In the past I've used an fittings from valve cover to can, but in the easy "snap in place" fittings of the current catch can options, I can see where loose fittings could be of concern.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Man, why did you let them continue to make pulls on the car when you saw that the first time :(.

Softballer77

Established Member
It only does it on the let off. Not at startup or normal driving, so I'm guessing it's vacuuming it through on the letoff.

Sorry but I'm a believer in catch cans. Especially with how soaked I've seen other's intercooler from it and you'd get a majority here battle ya on your reasoning for not using one, especially after the posts I've seen Van post on it. But to each their own. I agree though on the leak down. Going to get that done in the next couple of days. Thanksgiving is chopping free time down a bit.

I swap my plugs every 2k or so. My fuel filter gets replaced as well. I'm mostly a 91 octane guy in the high desert since its all we have so it only sees additive on a drag day or dyno pull. It's not of a concern and is not the subject of this issue anyways. For me, it works for my needs.

Im guessing the majority would guess ring issue. If that's the case I'd wonder what my options are. I doubt it would just be a ring gap out 180 or something. The vehicle has 33k miles on it. Meant to mention that.

Jim (jdm) you guys were selling the rods for our vehicle correct? If I had to have some rings replaced, and potentially pistons, I wonder if I have too many miles on the cylinders to just do a rod/piston/ring swap. I hate how if one thing gets bad, it turns into a customer 30k nightmare engine build (or vendor dream come true, however you wish to look at it).

Whats the minimum psi per cylinder and allowed difference between cylinders for our vehicles? I'll post my results here.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I know, but it could have done more harm then good is all I'm saying. I've seen blue smoke almost after every dyno pull, but that is excessive as it's been talked about here already. Like other have said, get a leak down and compression test. It could be that everything is fine.. Or if you have a bore scope with a camera that's a good tool to check the tops of pistons and the walls.

Softballer77

Established Member
I know, but it could have done more harm then good is all I'm saying. I've seen blue smoke almost after every dyno pull, but that is excessive as it's been talked about here already. Like other have said, get a leak down and compression test. It could be that everything is fine.. Or if you have a bore scope with a camera that's a good tool to check the tops of pistons and the walls.
I'm confident it didn't do further harm. As I said before, a leak down will be done in the coming days. Coincidentally lots of others had blue smoke after their pulls as well that day. I just don't like seeing it and hope to fix it if possible.

JimIII@jdm

Not to hijack this thread, but what do you recommend in place of a catch can? I'm hearing many reports of oil soaked/coated intercoolers which in turn can also cause failures.
In the past I've used an fittings from valve cover to can, but in the easy "snap in place" fittings of the current catch can options, I can see where loose fittings could be of concern.

Taking your blower off and cleaning the intercooler once ever 10-15K would be sufficient enough. The PCV system is going to draw some oil vapors which pool in the intake track and some of which suck back through the blower. That helps lubricate the rotors and create a good seal inside the unit as well. The minimal oil that burns through the engine is not enough to cause detonation. Had it been an issue furing Ford's strenuous R&D and torture tests they would have designed a better system than a billet can and some rubber hoses. But the internet says you need it so everyone buys them....

I've seen Lightning trucks, 03 Cobras, even earlier GT500's that never ran a catch can or breather system at very high mileage and yes the intercooler core is gunked up, restricted, and covered in some oil but it can be cleaned out. Is it a detrimental problem....no, but if you take the time to properly maintain it it would never get to that point.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
The Blue smoke is excessive. Been messing with these "Blown" cars and trucks for a while and I would be concerned. Like stated earlier get a leak down check on the cylinders and go from there. Good luck and I hope it does not cost that much money to fix if a problem is found. Christmas is coming right around the corner.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
98 Saleen Cobra said:
Man, why did you let them continue to make pulls on the car when you saw that the first time :(.
+2

I've seen smoke on cars on ACCELL that are driven softly or on old winter gas that came back after burning a full tank and pulled clean. I'm pretty shocked the dyno tech and shop mechanics at GTR High Performance made more pulls, adjusted straps & pulled 2 more times after seeing that on deccel.
I also agree on the leakdown advice and truly hope it's something easy to fix.
But please excuse me for saying........not at that shop.

KEVINS

Established Member
I would check the seals in the blower, too. On my TT car the seals would never last more than a day of dyno pulls.

ks

JimIII@jdm

I would check the seals in the blower, too. On my TT car the seals would never last more than a day of dyno pulls.

ks

If the seals inside the blower went bad it would suck supercharger fluid into the case and burn off slowly, it's a very minimal amount. It's also a clear fluid so you wouldn't see it burn blue.

Fords Supercharger components should last more than a few hard dyno pulls.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
98 Saleen Cobra said:
+2

I've seen smoke on cars on ACCELL that are driven softly or on old winter gas that came back after burning a full tank and pulled clean. I'm pretty shocked the dyno tech and shop mechanics at GTR High Performance made more pulls, adjusted straps & pulled 2 more times after seeing that on deccel.
I also agree on the leakdown advice and truly hope it's something easy to fix.
But please excuse me for saying........not at that shop.

+1

That is a joke...they should have unstrapped it and said "sorry...we're done here"

And that torco is JUNK. Never seen a bit of smoke on my terminator on E85...and the plugs look whistle clean after a full year of use. Ethanol all day every day

Users who are viewing this thread